Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v South Africa Semi Final Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Wales give there all and just came up short. Third and fourth what a ridiculous and pointless game, a five day turnaround and a load of battered bodies. So much for Player Welfare .

Totally agree. If World Rugby are serious about player welfare they need do look at this. Also,  as has been pointed out before, a larger squad would ensure  player welfare. 
Sponsored Links

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 3:52pm
I'm sorry but commending Wales for effort is what we should expect.  Wales limited game plan cost us yet again. Time to  move on now.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I'm sorry but commending Wales for effort is what we should expect.  Wales limited game plan cost us yet again. Time to  move on now.
Bit harsh, Gatland’s tactics have allways been the same and he’s had unprecedented success considering our small player pool.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Bit harsh, Gatland’s tactics have allways been the same and he’s had unprecedented success considering our small player pool.

Not harsh, spot on.

The limited gameplan shored up our defence and got us in contention, this would have been ok with Shane in the team but we have zero creativity.

That gameplan wouldn't and shouldn't win you a world cup.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:23pm
no team deserves to be in a world cup final by kicking the ball away and hoping for mistakes(which were never coming) wales used to known throughout the world for creative running rugby ,sadly those days are long gone,given pivac and stevo's last season with us I fear wales will go into freefall.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Wales give there all and just came up short. Third and fourth what a ridiculous and pointless game, a five day turnaround and a load of battered bodies. So much for Player Welfare .

Totally agree. If World Rugby are serious about player welfare they need do look at this. Also,  as has been pointed out before, a larger squad would ensure  player welfare. 
we could have had a squad of 100 but the tactics would be the same.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:35pm
Pivac has a big job on his hands. Too many players are thecwro g side of 30 and will not make the next WC. Halfpenny, foxy, parkes, ken, AWJ will all be gone. Liam, North, biggar, cawdor, faletau, tipuric will be wrong side of 30 by the next WC. I think a total overhaul of the squad is needed so it has the 4 years to embed into wayne's philosophy. Plus this current team have had the creativity coached out ofvthem. It might be a tough job to reinstal.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:58pm
we lost a world cup semi by 3 points get a grip folks. We are a top top team
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

ClapClap
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 6:13pm

Your second word says it all. We didnt win. We came up short. We wernt good enough.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Your second word says it all. We didnt win. We came up short. We wernt good enough.
yeah so every team that doesn’t win a world cup is rubbish then?
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 7:02pm

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

yeah so every team that doesn’t win a world cup is rubbish then?

No. Just not good enough to be considered the best. And plans must be put in pkace to try and rectify that
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 7:12pm
What is the point in having the best 13 in the world if the ball never gets to him? 

What was the point in bringing Patch on if he wasn't allowed to operate in the style that suits him? he may as well have kept Biggar on.

Overall, I was somewhat embarassed at the style we utilised. Yes it was a similar style to what we have used for the past years, but it was EVEN MORE conservative than normal. I've never seen so many drives by the forwards when we were on their line. Was it 20 phases without a back being involved? Just really screams of being desperate to not lose a game, rather than looking to win one.

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

What is the point in having the best 13 in the world if the ball never gets to him? 

What was the point in bringing Patch on if he wasn't allowed to operate in the style that suits him? he may as well have kept Biggar on.

Overall, I was somewhat embarassed at the style we utilised. Yes it was a similar style to what we have used for the past years, but it was EVEN MORE conservative than normal. I've never seen so many drives by the forwards when we were on their line. Was it 20 phases without a back being involved? Just really screams of being desperate to not lose a game, rather than looking to win one.

I think that we used the ball a lot more against Australia when we had an even battle amkngst the forwards. However we never went forward all game today and therefore couldn’t spread it out amongst the backs, and being forced to constantly kick. The quality of the kicks however is a different matter alltogether as well as North’s willinges to chase them.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2019 at 7:42am
It seems a bit odd to criticise Wales's tactics in losing the game, when SA used exactly the same tactics to win it! (I thought it was poor rugby by both sides, but that's by-the-by.) In truth, they sneaked it by making a few more yards with their carries, and by coming out better with the ref's interpretations - perhaps he was a bit intimidated by the campaign against him in SA before the game - they got nearly all the 50:50 calls. 

I did think quite a few players looked to have emptied their tank already, and to have little left - AWJ was so quiet, and I don't think Biggar has been the same since those head knocks - Patch should have come on much earlier. As for not using Foxy - I don't believe he was anywhere near 100% and so he was being 'looked after', IMO. 

That leaves a question for the much unloved third-place play off: should Wales pick the typical starting 15, or make a lot of changes to freshen things up and build for the future? I know we'd all love to beat NZ, in any game, but I'd prefer to take a shot at them with a number of lesser used players starting - Tomos William, Patch, Carre, Cubby etc. At least those guys will be fairly fresh, and will have hopes of impressing for the 6N and years beyond. I suppose AWJ must start as captain, even though he looked completely knackered yesterday.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2019 at 7:53am
We really shouldn't be criticising a squad that has got to the semis and lost by 3 points. Welsh rugby have no devine right to sit at the top table. Gatland & his team have done a wonderful job establishing Wales as contenders both in Europe & Worldwide.

For sure its not the Scarlets/Welsh way as played by those wonderful players in the 70's but thats nearly 50 years ago bois bach!!! I have not agreed with the tactical approach by Gatland/Howley because I really believe that we still do possess flare players who should be encouraged to express themselves. The selections of Roberts & Parkes at 12 for much of the past years with the selection at 10 has all but decided how we play. Had we possessed a commanding pack with real ball carriers it may have been different. The term being used is punching above our weight but that really is a misnomer - we were 16 kilos heavier than the South African pack which most of us would find very hard to believe. 

Its down to power, carrying and breakdown ability. Dynamic forwards need to be encouraged. England have Itoje, Curry & Underhill - no bigger than AWJ, Wainwright & Tipuric but on the evidence of the semis far more effective on the day. Trying to play a 10 man kicking game against South Africa seemed a crazy gameplan to me which doesn't utilise the skills of Tipuric for instance who needs the game to be played in the 13 channel to showcase his skills to the best. 

They have truly done their best and Pivac & his coaching team have one hell of an act to follow. I am more than a little concerned about the outcome. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic