Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another one bites the dust...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another one bites the dust...
    Posted: 06 November 2019 at 12:52pm
Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns has resigned from the cabinet after his role in selecting as an Assembly candidate an aide who single-handedly torpedoed a rape trial on behalf of a friend who was subsequently convicted.

Cairns claimed that he had no knowledge of his aide's behaviour - condemned by the trial judge. This was always hard to believe, as Cairns and England were close: 

"Mr Cairns has previously endorsed Mr England as a "friend and colleague" with whom "it will be a pleasure to campaign". (BBC report)

I also read somewhere that the victim also worked closely with Cairns, though this fact (if it is one) may have been included in error, not because it is necessarily wrong but because it could then lead to the victim being identified - which is against the law.

Cairns wriggled this way and that, claiming that he had no prior knowledge of England's shameful behaviour - despite having been sent a letter by the trial judge (presumably he will claim that he never got it), but now also an email from Geraint Evans, his own special adviser, about the case.

So - Cairns has finally given in to the pressure and quit as Welsh secretary:

but still, astonishingly, thinks it's OK to stand as a candidate for re-election in the Vale of Glamorgan. 

This has left some fellow Tories unimpressed:

"The BBC has been told that while Mr Cairns has resigned as a cabinet member, he still intends to stand as a candidate in Vale of Glamorgan in the 12 December general election.

But a Welsh Conservative source questioned whether he should stand at the election: "If you can't hold the line as a Cabinet minister, how could you credibly be a candidate".

On the other hand, his friend Boris Johnson is supportive.

We'll watch how this pans out with interest!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 1:15pm
Hopefully we get someone in the role who puts Wales first rather than kissing up to Westminster at every turn and opportunity. I highly doubt it though.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 3:10pm
Let's not also forget that at the recent by election in Brecon and Radnor the sitting MP, who had a criminal conviction for submitting a fraudulent expenses claim, stood for re election in the same constituency. 

Don't think any of my previous employers would re employ me had I submitted such a claim. 

Edited by ap sior - 06 November 2019 at 3:14pm
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 7:53pm
Just realised that this is the second time this fool has had to resign.

He resigned from the Shadow Cabinet in 2008, when during a radio interview on Radio Cymru he referred to Italians as 'greasy wops'.

This man is a liability and an accident waiting to happen. I hope that the Conservatives don't replace him !!!!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 11:02pm
He's still going to contest his seat in the December election.  I think thats a mistake.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

He resigned from the Shadow Cabinet in 2008, when during a radio interview on Radio Cymru he referred to Italians as 'greasy wops'.

This man is a liability and an accident waiting to happen. I hope that the Conservatives don't replace him !!!!

Bit of a faux pas if he didn't use welsh, that's for sure.

Other news on topic.... Tom Watson resigns as deputy leader today. During an election campaign is... interesting... timing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 8:59am
Yes both main parties, if I can still call them that, have stuttered this week. Cairns is an idiot thats all that can be said, Rees-Mogg no better and Watson may well be positioning himself for a future run as leader. A timely intervention from Gordon Brown's former aide Austin who quit the party in February really putting the boot into Corbyn & McDonnell saying they weren't fit to run the country as our finances and security would compromised. Interesting times. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Bit of a faux pas if he didn't use welsh, that's for sure.

Other news on topic.... Tom Watson resigns as deputy leader today. During an election campaign is... interesting... timing.

It was in Welsh, however the faux pas was his description of Italians !!!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 1:52pm
The season of dirty politics is upon us...Negative campaigning with every faux pas every resignation hyped up by the press...I do think Corbyns chances have improved overall recently though...The main reason being the lib dems massive own goal policy of cancelling brexit. Swinson has really made a fool of herself on that. demanding a referendum then demanding another one, then simply offering to cancel brexit. Absurd. That left open the position to offer a second referendum which corbyn took. That leaves labour as the party of the second referendum which will greatly appeal to remainers. Also the heartless comments by rees mogg and aaron banks on grenfell tower residents. But far far more importantly it seems that cladding is still on 100s of buildings across the country, why? Get that stuff off ASAP. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The season of dirty politics is upon us...Negative campaigning with every faux pas every resignation hyped up by the press...I do think Corbyns chances have improved overall recently though...The main reason being the lib dems massive own goal policy of cancelling brexit. Swinson has really made a fool of herself on that. demanding a referendum then demanding another one, then simply offering to cancel brexit. Absurd. That left open the position to offer a second referendum which corbyn took. That leaves labour as the party of the second referendum which will greatly appeal to remainers. Also the heartless comments by rees mogg and aaron banks on grenfell tower residents. But far far more importantly it seems that cladding is still on 100s of buildings across the country, why? Get that stuff off ASAP. <span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

Your missing the horrible comments said by labour peer Baroness Lawrence calling the firefighters racist
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The season of dirty politics is upon us...Negative campaigning with every faux pas every resignation hyped up by the press...I do think Corbyns chances have improved overall recently though...The main reason being the lib dems massive own goal policy of cancelling brexit. Swinson has really made a fool of herself on that. demanding a referendum then demanding another one, then simply offering to cancel brexit. Absurd. That left open the position to offer a second referendum which corbyn took. That leaves labour as the party of the second referendum which will greatly appeal to remainers. Also the heartless comments by rees mogg and aaron banks on grenfell tower residents. But far far more importantly it seems that cladding is still on 100s of buildings across the country, why? Get that stuff off ASAP. <span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

Your missing the horrible comments said by labour peer Baroness Lawrence calling the firefighters racist
Oh deary me it just gets worse. Playing politics with this horrific tragedy. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes both main parties, if I can still call them that, have stuttered this week. Cairns is an idiot thats all that can be said, Rees-Mogg no better and Watson may well be positioning himself for a future run as leader. A timely intervention from Gordon Brown's former aide Austin who quit the party in February really putting the boot into Corbyn & McDonnell saying they weren't fit to run the country as our finances and security would compromised. Interesting times. 

That's for sure.

Cairns always seemed a snake to me - confirmed by recent events. 

Rees-Mogg is an even worse case, as he has made millions by betting against British business, with of course shares and the pound faring badly after the referendum:

Rees-Mogg is in addition a hypocrite as well as a Brexit carpetbagger, as he has moved his own firm to Dublin, to guard against the negative impact of Brexit:

As for Watson - interestingly, despite their political differences, both Watson and Corbyn were pretty polite about each other when this happened:

I have a slightly different theory about Watson's resignation - he was the most prominent political voice supporting the claims of Satanic abuse made by fantasist 'Nick', who has since been sentenced to 18 years in prison..

Carl Beech, aka 'Nick', was sentenced  for profiting from his false claims - given his unstinting support for 'Nick' over a long period, it's hard to see how Watson's credibility could have survived a bruising election campaign. It probably seemed like a good time to take up a low profile...

The story about two former Labour MPs asking for a vote for Johnson is an interesting one. They don't claim that Corbyn is himself anti-Semitic but that he has not done enough to get rid of anti-Semitism in his own party (as I understand it).

So - they say - vote for Johnson, who has a long history of making and failing to apologise for explicitly racist remarks!

Boris Johnson faced humiliation at prime minister’s questions when MPs clapped and cheered a Labour backbencher who demanded he apologise for comparing Muslim women to letterboxes and launch an inquiry into Islamophobia.

In a damning rebuke from Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi, the Commons’ first turbaned Sikh MP, Johnson was forced to address his 2018 Daily Telegraph column in which he said it was absolutely ridiculous that women should go around resembling letterboxes and bank robbers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/04/boris-johnson-urged-to-apologise-for-muslim-women-letterboxes-article

Of course, Johnson is not only a racist - he is also homophobic and misogynistic, as is well documented:

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

I would strongly advise anyone of a different world view to read that last link!

Now - don't get me wrong. Corbyn is not someone I'm fond of as Labour leader (If you must know, I'll be voting Plaid Cymru at the election) - but Johnson is so very much worse, both as a person and in terms of where he wants the country to go (hard Brexit, battering claimants, abusing foreigners, selling us down the river to Trump's America and its rapacious private companies...) 

The country is already in a hole, and voting for Johnson is a vote to keep on digging.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic