Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Baa Baas thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

gutted for Dan Jones, at the momente he desreves the call up. Hope Pivac can change his idea about Kinky and watch his progress....
Of course happy for the rest of the boys called, with Johnny in his first cap...
We all may have to change our ideas about Kinky, Angelo. Embarrassed

No caps awarded for this game, but some clear hints of Pivac's thinking for 6Ns.
Sponsored Links

Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:01pm
Kinky? Very interesting 😁

Edited by Hendre - 19 November 2019 at 1:01pm
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

gutted for Dan Jones, at the momente he desreves the call up. Hope Pivac can change his idea about Kinky and watch his progress....
Of course happy for the rest of the boys called, with Johnny in his first cap...
We all may have to change our ideas about Kinky, Angelo. Embarrassed

No caps awarded for this game, but some clear hints of Pivac's thinking for 6Ns.

Don't know how much we can read into this squad if I am honest. Only real surprises for me are Halaholo before Scott and the selection of Lewis-Hughes. I think come 6 nations that WillGriff John from Sale will be pushing very hard at TH, the back row will be boosted by the returns of Ellis Jenkins, Navidi & Faletau. Halaholo may be good going forward but he is an accident waiting to happen defensively. 

Glad to see Seb Davies back as I was a little surprised to see Bradley ahead of him. Also encouraging to see Pivac selecting Steff Evans. Young Basham is a serious talent but I would question if he is ahead of Josh Mcleod at this point in time. 

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:25pm
I find it all rather embarrassing and wrong that McNicholl and Halaholo get to don the red jerseys rather than our own kin. I know every nation does it, but it just seems ridiculous to me. I feel less and less connect with the national team these days. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Kinky? Very interesting 😁
It s not easy to talk to your boss and at the game time read and write on the forum, sometimes goes wrong...but as someone says Scarlerfever first...
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I find it all rather embarrassing and wrong that McNicholl and Halaholo get to don the red jerseys rather than our own kin. I know every nation does it, but it just seems ridiculous to me. I feel less and less connect with the national team these days. 

I agree with your first two sentences. Very good players though they are it does international rugby harm to have this go on and gives those wanting to have a pop at the Welsh team great ammunition. The increase to 5 years will start to have an impact but ......

As for less connection with the national team, that will happen to me if in the Six Nations we have Parkes, Hahaholo and McNicholl all playing at the same time, but I'll wait and see if that happens - but the last teams we put out (in RWC) have been very Welsh.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 3:28pm

Forwards:
Elliot Dee (Dragons), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Leon Brown (Dragons), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Taine Basham (Dragons), Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Shane Lewis-Hughes (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Backs:
Aled Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Sam Davies (Dragons), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Willis Halaholo (Cardiff Blues), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets).

Notable omissions: Cubby (injured?), Josh Mac & Kieran Hardy for us, Scott Williams for the Os. All the top-line RWC players included if fit, some named will train with Wales before being released, injured players will join the scene-setting sessions.

Congratulations to the Scarlets selected, especially McNicholl (first call-up) and Steff Evans (after a period in the wilderness).

Cubby must be injured, surely? The back row is an area of strength in Wales, but I'm very surprised that Macleod isn't there yet - he will be soon for sure. 

From a purely selfish PoV, it's good for the Scarlets that Hardy and Dan Jones are not selected, though I feel that Hardy is definitely better than Aled, and that Dan has been playing better than Sam, though he's picked up since leaving the Os.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 4:38pm
I feel taking our 5 best front row players is a bit inconsiderate. He could at least have left us with Ryan and Samson (neither normally considered the best exponents of Barbarian style carefree running rugby) to give us some sort of chance against an unaffected Ulster.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 4:49pm
New Zealand thirds v Barbarians
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 6:02pm
I think josh has been hard done on tbis selection. I havent seen anything in the cardiff backrower that merits a call up.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I think josh has been hard done on tbis selection. I havent seen anything in the cardiff backrower that merits a call up.

TBH, I'd never even heard of him until this week!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:28pm

I think Josh is ahead of both Basham & Griffiths at the moment. Griffiths, I must admit, has the ability to be one of the top 7's in Wales but he is so injury prone. As for this boy Lewis-Hughes I like the look of him - at 18 stone + & 6 foot 4" he is a very effective carrier & lineout operator. If Pivac has decided to use this game to look at guys he doesn't know a lot about then his back row could well be Lewis-Hughes at 6, Basham at 7 & Wainwright at 8 with Griffiths on the bench. Tips, Moriarty and Aaron back with their regions - simples. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:51pm
Has to be Tipuric or Ken to be captain - no one else close - unless Pivac goes with a surprise/inspired choice as Gatland did with Warburton all those years ago, but probably wouldn't with AWJ still very much the incumbent.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:59pm

Has to be Tipuric or Ken to be captain - no one else close - unless Pivac goes with a surprise/inspired choice as Gatland did with Warburton all those years ago, but probably wouldn't with AWJ still very much the incumbent.

Somehow, the team didn't play well when Tips captained at the RWC - not saying it was his fault, but neither did he seem capable of getting the guys to shape up - so I'd give Ken a chance, which as a super-proud Cymro, he'd really respond to. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I think Josh is ahead of both Basham & Griffiths at the moment. Griffiths, I must admit, has the ability to be one of the top 7's in Wales but he is so injury prone. As for this boy Lewis-Hughes I like the look of him - at 18 stone + & 6 foot 4" he is a very effective carrier & lineout operator. If Pivac has decided to use this game to look at guys he doesn't know a lot about then his back row could well be Lewis-Hughes at 6, Basham at 7 & Wainwright at 8 with Griffiths on the bench. Tips, Moriarty and Aaron back with their regions - simples. 

Josh his unlucky not to be selected , but this lad Basham is as good as any Welsh back row forward I have seen at his age .
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 4:40pm
Basham must be the best name ever for a back rower.WinkBig smile
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic