Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Injury updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injury updates
    Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:27pm
Can we get a regular injury update on the squad particularly when we are struggling for players

I know some of these are injured but what about the rest, dont even seem to be playing for the clubs:-

Leigh
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Can we get a regular injury update on the squad particularly when we are struggling for players

I know some of these are injured but what about the rest, dont even seem to be playing for the clubs:-

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

LH is ok now and is in the squad to play the Ba Baas

Taylor Davies injured his knee against LI.

Dafydd Hughes has not been fit to play this season at all.

Conbeer limped off against Benetton.

Others I don't know about.

There may some rotation going on too.

Also don't forget, it has been pointed out before that the players, like us, have a right to confidentiality when it comes to their medical condition.

Edited by ap sior - 25 November 2019 at 1:50pm
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:04pm

Leigh
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

As far as I know Daf Hughes, Tomi Lewis, Kennedy and Conbeer are fit, none were listed as injured on Toulon selection announcement .
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:36pm
but Tom Prydie (hamstring) was.  plus Joe Roberts (knee).
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:41pm
halvers wanted to play last Friday but not allowed by team wales as is the running theme no matter who is in charge.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

halvers wanted to play last Friday but not allowed by team wales as is the running theme no matter who is in charge.

Absolute nonsense - Leigh didn't play too many minutes in Japan & it is well documented that his HIA was precautionary and he would have played against NZ had the turnaround been longer. He had around  4 weeks off by the Toulon game so should have been allowed to play against his old team. 

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 3:35pm
Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.
Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

Keep the faith
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

But didn't they have a break over the summer?
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

But didn't they have a break over the summer?
I would have thought a couple of weeks off ( like I used to get in my job) and then back to work on pre-season training in order to become super fit for the start of the season proper.
Keep the faith
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

but Tom Prydie (hamstring) was.  plus Joe Roberts (knee).

Thanks, I knew there were a few I had missed
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

Also don't forget, it has been pointed out before that the players, like us, have a right to confidentiality when it comes to their medical condition.
For your last point while I agree we dont need to know the nuts and bolts, saying `out hamstring` is hardly confidential.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:10pm
Remember the famous international cricketer who was sidelined with a 'lower back injury'?  Turned out he struck down with  the Farmer's......
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Leigh 
Foxy - Out season
Patch - Out 3 months
Taylor Davies
Dafydd Hughes
Ed Kennedy
Tom Philips
Dan Davis
Cubby - out 2 weeks?
Tomi Lewis
Ryan Conbeer

For your last point while I agree we dont need to know the nuts and bolts, saying `out hamstring` is hardly confidential.
However, if that player wishes to move clubs, or to take out private medical insurance, he probably doesn’t want a quick google search revealing every injury he’s ever had. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 5:17pm

Internationals often talk about the huge step up in intensity, in training as well as the matches, between pro and Test rugby, especially under Gatland's regime. They've been monstered in preparation for RWC with hot weather & high altitude environments, rather more than the Scarlets squad pre-season, I'd suggest, as intensive as that may be for pro level rugby.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 7:16pm

You need to read up about periodisation in training. It’s impossible to be at peak fitness for prolonged periods of time. The Welsh squad would have spent months building phases to a point where they hit peak fitness during the World Cup regardless of how many matches they played. They need to rest and become ‘less fit’ to build up again otherwise as Tipuric stated in his interview they will break down later in the season physically and maybe mentally. You could argue that Wales players are regularly put in the over training phase due to lack of depth. Parkes is a clear example of this - playing in a broken down state.

Edited by Huwbach - 25 November 2019 at 7:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic