Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23 for Bayonne .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Bayonne coming off a heavy away defeat as are we. no idea if they made any changes to their usual side to face Toulouse. I know we are expected to make at least 10 changes from the side that travelled to Belfast.

I'd go:
15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Johnny McNicholl
13. Steff Hughes
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Steff Evans
10. Dan Jones
9. Gareth Davies
8. Blade Thomson
7. Josh Macleod
6. Uzair Cassiem
5. Sam Lousi
4. Jake Ball
3. Samson Lee
2. Ryan Elias
1. Rob Evans
16. Ken Owen
17. Wyn Jones
18. Werner Kruger
19. Lewis Rawlins
20. Aaron Shingler
21. Jonny Evans
22. Ryan Lamb
23. Paul Asquith

don't think its wise to have all our internationals thrown in to start. we had a bit of a backlash of that last week where Elias, Samson, Hardy, Steff Evs didn't train with the squad at all before travelling to Belfast.
Also, with Elias,he needs to play, Rob has been with us all season, so a bench if Wyn, Ken and Kruger for front row is huge IMO to come on around the 50/60mark.

Look forward to see who the coaches select though as they must think Christmas has started early when you look at who people cant fit in their 23 even!

If Bayonne indeed have the biggest pack in Europe, this is going to be some battle for us as its a part of the game we are easy targets.

No argument with most of that. I would go for Fonotia at 13 if fit and Asquith if not. Both have more pace than Steff. Aaron starts for me if fit with Blade on bench as Casseim is showing up better as a carrier at the moment. They are indeed a big pack but they are not as good a team as Toulon and we should have won that one. Take our points on offer and if we a get a 10 point lead their heads will drop and we should win well. 
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:41pm
I’d start Ryan Lamb his vision been good the past couple of games, he knows where the space is. Could be crucial against a team thats going to try and bully us out of the contest. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Bayonne coming off a heavy away defeat as are we. no idea if they made any changes to their usual side to face Toulouse. I know we are expected to make at least 10 changes from the side that travelled to Belfast.

I'd go:
15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Johnny McNicholl
13. Steff Hughes
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Steff Evans
10. Dan Jones
9. Gareth Davies
8. Blade Thomson
7. Josh Macleod
6. Uzair Cassiem
5. Sam Lousi
4. Jake Ball
3. Samson Lee
2. Ryan Elias
1. Rob Evans
16. Ken Owen
17. Wyn Jones
18. Werner Kruger
19. Lewis Rawlins
20. Aaron Shingler
21. Jonny Evans
22. Ryan Lamb
23. Paul Asquith

don't think its wise to have all our internationals thrown in to start. we had a bit of a backlash of that last week where Elias, Samson, Hardy, Steff Evs didn't train with the squad at all before travelling to Belfast.
Also, with Elias,he needs to play, Rob has been with us all season, so a bench if Wyn, Ken and Kruger for front row is huge IMO to come on around the 50/60mark.

Look forward to see who the coaches select though as they must think Christmas has started early when you look at who people cant fit in their 23 even!

If Bayonne indeed have the biggest pack in Europe, this is going to be some battle for us as its a part of the game we are easy targets.

No argument with most of that. I would go for Fonotia at 13 if fit and Asquith if not. Both have more pace than Steff. Aaron starts for me if fit with Blade on bench as Casseim is showing up better as a carrier at the moment. They are indeed a big pack but they are not as good a team as Toulon and we should have won that one. Take our points on offer and if we a get a 10 point lead their heads will drop and we should win well. 
yes 13 was a tough one. but seeing I opted to start Elias, with Ken and Kruger on the bench, I put in Steff for captaincy.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 2:16pm

Think we may still be missing a couple of internationals.

scarlettilidie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarlettilidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 3:37pm
Not sure whether to start another thread but big disruptions possible this week in France due to air traffic control, train staff etc on strike. Will keep my eye on developments for travelling supporters and keep you updated. We are hoping to travel by car, however there are problems getting fuel as well. Sorry to be the bearer of poo news but better to be forewarned.

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:41pm
If they have the biggest pack in Europe, then there is only one direction I want to see them running - backwards. Can we please try to start with a tactical kicking game which keeps them well away from our 22 while tiring and losing confidence as they fail to build a lead. I know this is asking much and the opposite to our tactics in our recent resounding successes in Belfast and Edinburgh, but who knows it might work!!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:13pm
Dont you have to get hold of the ball first before you can kick it away?
We couldn't get the ball in the first half against Ulster,. Bayonne may be even more difficult to get possession from. 🙄🤔😟🤕
Keep the faith
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:27pm
I guess we also need to consider how much Bayonne care about this competition now being 0 from 2. They are 5th from bottom of the T14 and staying in that will massively outweigh wasting their time on a competition they now wont even get out of the group in. IMHO.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Think we may still be missing a couple of internationals.

Yes it seems possible that those Wales players that have had a lot of game time may not be available for us until the Dragons game.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:30pm
So we didn't get any ball versus Ulster, even from lineouts or scrums? And Ulster showed that you don't just kick the ball "away" you kick into space or toward a perceived defensive weakness, and chase to put pressure on the opposition. They managed it so successfully that it led to us conceding tries. However you do need halfbacks that release the ball quickly and have some sort of idea beforehand of what they are trying to achieve, always on the lookout for space behind the opposition rather than mechanically passing the ball out to be turned over to a blitz defence.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 6:27pm
They managed it so successfully because they had lots of ball to do so. This is because they kept it and did not concede it with the ease we did. We then gave them more ball will poor discipline. Kicking as they did only becomes a risk worth taking when you've put extensive pressure on the opposition pulling their players in. Kicking off first phase seldom works, and is therefore a waste of ball unless you've exhausted all other options. We have already demonstrated this season that we have a very good attacking kicking game - nearly every other coach/captain has mentioned this - which I gathe ris the desired effect. This season our main problem in attack has been a complete inability to build and sustain pressure in the opposition 22m. When you've had as little ball as we have had this season I suggest the last thing we should do in their 22 is "turn them", make them make some tackles, not just hand a fresh side the ball and ask them to run at our side. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 8:16pm
I'm more concerned with getting into their 22 in the first place, what we do after depends on the circumstances although this season we have scored some gems by chipping (Fonotia's chip for Steff Hughes try for example) or using grubber kicks. The variety that options give us make us a far more potent attack especially when we haven't got the big ball carriers to smash their way through. And if they can't break through from 5m out then it seems unlikely to me that they will be able to carry all the way from our 22m to the opposition try line without being turned over, which is what you have to do if you dismiss the kicking option.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 2:04pm
Has it been confirmed what internationals we will have back this week? Ball and Hadleigh will make a massive difference to our gainline effort. Ball in particular has been huge for Wales last few months. Halfers will give us some much needed nouse behind in attack and defence, thought he looked in great nic against the baabaas. 

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Llywarch Llywarch wrote:

They managed it so successfully because they had lots of ball to do so. This is because they kept it and did not concede it with the ease we did. We then gave them more ball will poor discipline. Kicking as they did only becomes a risk worth taking when you've put extensive pressure on the opposition pulling their players in. Kicking off first phase seldom works, and is therefore a waste of ball unless you've exhausted all other options. We have already demonstrated this season that we have a very good attacking kicking game - nearly every other coach/captain has mentioned this - which I gathe ris the desired effect. This season our main problem in attack has been a complete inability to build and sustain pressure in the opposition 22m. When you've had as little ball as we have had this season I suggest the last thing we should do in their 22 is "turn them", make them make some tackles, not just hand a fresh side the ball and ask them to run at our side. 

Fair points in bold - they had the ball and used it. We kicked poorly (Hardy is normally tidy but his box kicks were woefully short that night), and gave away soft penalties (Louisi needs to learn what is acceptable in the NH).

Plus - when they did use the 'kick-pass', Baloucoune proved just too big and strong for Morgan Williams to cope with (no disgrace there, just a fact)...

We'll need to avoid giving the ball back so easily to top teams like Ulster - which should be easier with the intis back.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Has it been confirmed what internationals we will have back this week? Ball and Hadleigh will make a massive difference to our gainline effort. Ball in particular has been huge for Wales last few months. Halfers will give us some much needed nouse behind in attack and defence, thought he looked in great nic against the baabaas. 

The BBC stating Dragons getting all their players back and when you consider how many games Wainwright played no reason to rest any of our boys for this weekend. Fully loaded please 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

The BBC stating Dragons getting all their players back and when you consider how many games Wainwright played no reason to rest any of our boys for this weekend. Fully loaded please 

Yeah I agree. If fit they start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic