Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Bayonne match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 9:41am
Re Baldwin, what I particularly liked was that he learned from his mistake very quickly. He made on good run second half and held the ball too long and the chance went begging. Later in a similar position on the field, he let the ball go at the right time allowing Hardy to run in one of his tries. We'll done Corey. 
Sponsored Links

cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 12:09pm
Just watched the match on S4C and bemused to hear Killers blaring in the background when they were doing interviews at the end.  Didn't play after the game, didn't after L Irish either. I wasn't aware of Yma O Hyd after the tries either although could hear them on telly.  Was the sound system in the North a problem? 

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 12:37pm
In the North it's not a sound system but a noise system😟🤔
Keep the faith
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 2:02pm

Think a little bit of caution required in not getting carried away with any individual performances last night, especially in the backs, because Bayonne were woeful and offered absolutely nothing. Their lack of effort made a lot of space which our boys completely took advantage of, you can only play what's in front of you after all, but when it's better opposition is the time to make informed judgements.
In saying that the boys did take full advantage and showed signs of some very good attacking, offloading rugby. Of the youngsters I think Conbeer looks like a natural finisher, Baldwin seemed more comfortable at centre than on wing, Hardy runs very good support lines and is in good vein of scoring form but this may be misleading as there are deficiencies in his game which get overlooked, hes not at Cawdors standard yet. Angus showed what he is capable of on the front foot, Jac and Jevan were also impressive.

Looking forward to the derbies now.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Such a positive display. Did the hard work in the first half and reaped the rewards in the second.

Lots to be excited about, Jac Morgan, Jevon thought Ed looked a proper handful when he came off the bench, Cassiem was as us customary now superb, but my two major bonus':

Baldwin in a position where there is a dearth of talent not only in this region but in Wales seems to have all the raw ingredients. He also has one of the best in the world to learn off and I hope they are using Foxy wisely during his injury sabbatical.

Secondly take a bow Gus, looks like the player Pivac and Jones obviously identified a couple of seasons back. Didn't realise he had gas like that!

Fair comments.

The 13 position is indeed a problem area for Scarlets and Wales in the absence of Foxy... could Baldwin be the answer? My first thought is that he's too inexperienced ATM, but then again, who else is in contention? It's quite a physical position... maybe he'll get a call up to see how he goes in the squad - and Pivac must know him quite well, so he can judge if he's ready.

O'Brien looked a very different player to Dan or Lamb... much more of a running threat, maybe a bit more prone to error... what's his goal-kicking like? We had Halfpenny last night - it would be annoying to lose a game through missed pens. I'd like to see more of him, though.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Such a positive display. Did the hard work in the first half and reaped the rewards in the second.

Lots to be excited about, Jac Morgan, Jevon thought Ed looked a proper handful when he came off the bench, Cassiem was as us customary now superb, but my two major bonus':

Baldwin in a position where there is a dearth of talent not only in this region but in Wales seems to have all the raw ingredients. He also has one of the best in the world to learn off and I hope they are using Foxy wisely during his injury sabbatical.

Secondly take a bow Gus, looks like the player Pivac and Jones obviously identified a couple of seasons back. Didn't realise he had gas like that!

Fair comments.

The 13 position is indeed a problem area for Scarlets and Wales in the absence of Foxy... could Baldwin be the answer? My first thought is that he's too inexperienced ATM, but then again, who else is in contention? It's quite a physical position... maybe he'll get a call up to see how he goes in the squad - and Pivac must know him quite well, so he can judge if he's ready.

O'Brien looked a very different player to Dan or Lamb... much more of a running threat, maybe a bit more prone to error... what's his goal-kicking like? We had Halfpenny last night - it would be annoying to lose a game through missed pens. I'd like to see more of him, though.

Oh don't get me wrong with Baldwin I hope to god Wales don't go near him for 18 months or so, just seems to have all the raw materials and potentially the perfect mentor.

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 7:00am
There is a team spirit at the Scarlets at the moment, that whoever is selected to put on the jersey, puts one hell of a shift in. Haven't seen this "collective" for a while and its inspiring and heartening to see tbh.
Superb effort by the boys and Steff is doing a great job as Captain. We really do have strength in depth and the youngsters coming through are tremendous with loads of potential.
Besides the off field distraction of another Scarlet coach being approached by National teams, on field we are looking fantastic, love it.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 7:18am

Fair comments.

Corey's development has been badly affected by a run of niggling in juries particularly last season. Now that he is having a run of games his undoubted potential is showing through. For him to be considered as Foxy's replacement even if Fonotia is fit is testament to his progress.

I certainly don't advocate rushing him into the 6 nations - my 13 for Italy would be Scott but I would not rule out Baldwin being part of the wider squad. Other names in the frame for 13 would be Tyler Morgan, Lane & a converted Adams which I think is a mistake judging by how well he is playing on the wing. Lane, a 13 at age grade, really does need to see some gametime at 13 during the derbies for him to be considered. 

I don't know what is in the water in Llandeilo but they have unearthed two excellent prospects, both of whom are 20/21 - Corey & Dan Davis. Long may it continue. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Fair comments.

Corey's development has been badly affected by a run of niggling in juries particularly last season. Now that he is having a run of games his undoubted potential is showing through. For him to be considered as Foxy's replacement even if Fonotia is fit is testament to his progress.

I certainly don't advocate rushing him into the 6 nations - my 13 for Italy would be Scott but I would not rule out Baldwin being part of the wider squad. Other names in the frame for 13 would be Tyler Morgan, Lane & a converted Adams which I think is a mistake judging by how well he is playing on the wing. Lane, a 13 at age grade, really does need to see some gametime at 13 during the derbies for him to be considered. 

I don't know what is in the water in Llandeilo but they have unearthed two excellent prospects, both of whom are 20/21 - Corey & Dan Davis. Long may it continue. 

Like the rest of you, I'd prefer for Baldwin to have another 12 months to develop before being considered by Wales... it's just that there is a dearth of talent in the position. A fully fit Scott would be the answer, but I fear that he has been diminished by injuries and am far from convinced that he is currently 100%. I suppose Tyler Morgan is the next man in line, but TBH I don't know what sort of form he's in.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 12:39pm
Putting a young and inexperienced player into the international arena when not ready, can damage the player and affect him for the rest of his career.

Prydie is an example, Sam Cross another, and I'm sure there are others, is Baldwin better than they were at the same stage, not sure.

Baldwin is not ready yet, and in all honesty should be nurtured for the rest of the season, and invited to Welsh training sessions as and when.

If he continues his progress, then I do feel by next season, he will be discussed in selection meetings. 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:00pm
Baldwin has huge potential but until he makes the kind of impact he did on Saturday on a regular (every game) basis then lets leave him develop before throwing him into the Team Wales camp! Im sure his time will come! In the meantime, shadow the best and learn from Foxy!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Putting a young and inexperienced player into the international arena when not ready, can damage the player and affect him for the rest of his career.

Prydie is an example, Sam Cross another, and I'm sure there are others, is Baldwin better than they were at the same stage, not sure.

Baldwin is not ready yet, and in all honesty should be nurtured for the rest of the season, and invited to Welsh training sessions as and when.

If he continues his progress, then I do feel by next season, he will be discussed in selection meetings. 

I'm inclined to agree with you, but they do say "if you're good enough, you're old enough"... and that was certainly the case for Terry Price and Keith Jarrett, back in the day - not to mention (!) Gareth Edwards - and more recently, George North. These things can go one of two ways... 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:34pm
for every Keith Jarrett there is a Matthew Tait Cry
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Prydie is a perfectly good example. Cross was never International material. Yes Baldwin should be given the necessary time to develop his game with plenty of starts for the Scarlets.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Well, Tait has 36 England caps and 279 appearances in the Premiership - not a career I'd call a failure by any means! He didn't spent his whole time being carried backwards by Henson, you know... that was his first cap, and he went on to win another 35, so he hardly 'disappeared'.

Henson, by comparison, has 'only' 34 caps - 33 Wales and one B&I Lions!
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Well, Tait has 36 England caps and 279 appearances in the Premiership - not a career I'd call a failure by any means! He didn't spent his whole time being carried backwards by Henson, you know... that was his first cap, and he went on to win another 35, so he hardly 'disappeared'.

Henson, by comparison, has 'only' 34 caps - 33 Wales and one B&I Lions!

Point well made.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic