Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sanjay to return home early ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanjay to return home early ?
    Posted: 05 January 2020 at 1:46pm
 I was just reading on Rugby Paper that Saracens maybe prepared to leave Liam to return home before the end of season . What are peoples thoughts? Obviously it may depend on his recovery from injury .
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I was just reading on Rugby Paper that Saracens maybe prepared to leave Liam to return home before the end of season . What are peoples thoughts? Obviously it may depend on his recovery from injury .

Get him back once he is fit to play. His contract will start with us around July so if we had him for April/May & June he could make a decent contribution particularly if we, as I hope and believe, will qualify for the last 8 in the Challenge Cup. 
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 1:53pm
It would be about the salary cap if they did. If he doesn't play this season, he can be excluded from the salary cap. As the likelihood is he'll be fit at the tail end of the season, and with relegation likely ot be 'safe' (or confirmed) by then, there's not much point keeping him on the outside chance that they make the Champions Cup final and think he can add something.

Basically, they're almost certainly still over the salary cap, and given his injury it's a good way of getting rid of him (rather than an England player, who they get very good compensation for from the RFU) and therefore cutting his wages from the total amount, for the sake of what might be 3 or 4 games.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 2:22pm
Are they not compensated by the WRU for his absence? I believe he is due back late February/early March. They would save £50-75k probably if we took him on from March say. Quite possibly they are too close for comfort to the cap. Anyway a no brainer for us if true.
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 3:12pm
Isnt he one of their marquee signings? so doesnt fit under the normal salary cap? 

Doesnt seem right that they could offload Sanjay and assign Itoje/Farrels wages there mid way through season?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

The same report said it is very unlikely to happen.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Are they not compensated by the WRU for his absence? I believe he is due back late February/early March. They would save £50-75k probably if we took him on from March say. Quite possibly they are too close for comfort to the cap. Anyway a no brainer for us if true.

Yes, but not the same extent as the England and RFU release compensation levels.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Isnt he one of their marquee signings? so doesnt fit under the normal salary cap? 

Doesnt seem right that they could offload Sanjay and assign Itoje/Farrels wages there mid way through season?

I believe that Farrell and Itoje are the marquee players, but I may be wrong. If he is a marquee player, it obviously frees up space for someone to replace him, so 'same differnece' really.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

I believe that Farrell and Itoje are the marquee players, but I may be wrong. If he is a marquee player, it obviously frees up space for someone to replace him, so 'same differnece' really.

I think your right, Itoje and Farrell are the season marquis players.  However if it’s their way to try and reduce their wage bill to try and meet the cap for this season, I’d leave him there as they should be further punished if they are not playing it fair again this season.  They were fined in 2015 and 2019 for similarly offences, we can wait until next season.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 9:22pm
Yeah, I don't really see the benefits for the Scarlets for the same reason - not match fit, 3-4 games at most in all probability. We'll only need him if Halfpenny or McNicholl get injured.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 10:44pm
personally I’d love to see Liam back ASAP.  He'll have been rested and if fingers crossed we are in the quarters and semis of the challenge cup and pro 14 then it’ll be a massive boost for our armoury .
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 1:25am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

personally I’d love to see Liam back ASAP.  He'll have been rested and if fingers crossed we are in the quarters and semis of the challenge cup and pro 14 then it’ll be a massive boost for our armoury .

Agree. Opposition fans may even call it 'cheating', which I would thoroughly enjoy particularly if he scored the winning try in last game of the 'regular' season against the Os or the Pro14 Final against Leinster.
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 8:24am
Farrell & Itoje are on £750k per annum, Liam around £300k so he is not a marquee signing far from it. He will also be behind the Vunipola brothers by quite a few grand. As for having him back with us if fit surely its a no brainer provided we can afford him. If we are fortunate enough to qualify for the last 8 in the Champions Cup & with a full schedule of games post 6 nations to try to get in the pro 14 play offs he will get plenty of games & he certainly won't be costing us anything like the £40k/game that Moriarty costs the Dragons. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Agree. Opposition fans may even call it 'cheating', which I would thoroughly enjoy particularly if he scored the winning try in last game of the 'regular' season against the Os or the Pro14 Final against Leinster.
Why would it be called cheating to get him back early? It seems Webb may be returning to the Os shortly at least if the Touulon owner gets his way. What's the difference? I'm just happy Liam will wear scarlet again. I'm not concerned about whether it is this season or next. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 8:52am
Great if it happened, but I cant see it happening.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Great if it happened, but I cant see it happening.

If he is fit before the end of the season, I can see it happening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic