Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saracens squad could be dismantled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saracens squad could be dismantled
    Posted: 06 January 2020 at 7:30pm
according to their interim CEO:

Maybe this could impact on when we get Sanjay back?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

according to their interim CEO:

Maybe this could impact on when we get Sanjay back?
Probably a PR exercise and/or an anagram competition.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 8:24am
Well it sounds to me that he is preparing some of his players for the inevitable shock of having to take a pay cut. The fine imposed covered seasons 2016/17, 2017/18 & 2018/2019. This season remains unaudited. Clearly they still have issues and the new CEO - Griffiths has been brought in to get it sorted. 

Well the good news is thats probably one club that won't be in for SteffWink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:37am
they breached the salary cap and have let no one go

so either the players all agree to take a cut (ho ho ho)

or they'll have to get rid of a few

to me salary caps are unfair anyhow if I can afford to pay my players a fortune what business is it of anybody else's
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

to me salary caps are unfair anyhow if I can afford to pay my players a fortune what business is it of anybody else's

I totally agree.

Plus, they have to have the same squad in all competitions. So they are disadvantaged in Europe compared to teams with higher salary caps (Clermont) or no salary caps (Leinster).
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Isn't sport supposed to be a level playing field? Without salary caps you could have a sheikh buy an English club, spend a few hundred million and easily win everything. Whereas every other club without the same level of investment would have little to no chance.

Look at the NFL. It has a great system in place that has meant almost every one of the 32 teams has won the superbowl at some point. If the salary element is level, then it just comes down to coaching which is how it should be IMO.  
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:19am
Break the rules...tough.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Isn't sport supposed to be a level playing field? Without salary caps you could have a sheikh buy an English club, spend a few hundred million and easily win everything. Whereas every other club without the same level of investment would have little to no chance.
Look at the NFL. It has a great system in place that has meant almost every one of the 32 teams has won the superbowl at some point. If the salary element is level, then it just comes down to coaching which is how it should be IMO.  

Level playing field? So you want the English clubs to have a spending limit....but not the Welsh and Irish clubs?

And that's your level playing field?
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Level playing field? So you want the English clubs to have a spending limit....but not the Welsh and Irish clubs?

I just re-read my post and I can't see where I proposed any sort of Europe wide budgeting plan?

Naturally as there is no money in Welsh rugby its all irrelvant to us. But I think a cap needs to be there to stop what happens in football.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:48am

I just re-read my post and I can't see where I proposed any sort of Europe wide budgeting plan?

Naturally as there is no money in Welsh rugby its all irrelvant to us. But I think a cap needs to be there to stop what happens in football.

?

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. Where do you want a salary cap? Wales? Ireland? France? England? All of them?
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:53am

?

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. Where do you want a salary cap? Wales? Ireland? France? England? All of them?

If you read the comment I initially replied to it may make more sense then.  I wasn't proposing anything in particular. just stating that I think they are needed in some capacity as someone else said they think a salary cap is unfair.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:03am

?

If you read the comment I initially replied to it may make more sense then.  I wasn't proposing anything in particular. just stating that I think they are needed in some capacity as someone else said they think a salary cap is unfair.

No it doesn't make any sense at all I'm afraid. Because you're not explaining exactly where you want salary caps.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:13am

No it doesn't make any sense at all I'm afraid. Because you're not explaining exactly where you want salary caps.

Someone said they didn't agree with salary caps. I said I do. I never mentioned where,why or how I wanted them implemented. It was just a comment. No idea why you've called me out on not explaining the finer details of my master plan.

Also given that this thread is solely about Saracens, I figured my comments would be taken in relation to the Premiership.

Edited by Sosban89 - 07 January 2020 at 11:16am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:23am
I am no fan of artificially trying to control things whether that is the 60 cap rule or salary caps - ultimately they will fail. Wray could have got around the cap with a little more constructive thinking but got lazy & was caught. One thing I would say about the Premiership cap is that it was agreed by all professional clubs. 

I, and I would guess 99% of other Scarlet supporters, do not support our club because they win everything. We support them because they are our local team, play the sort of rugby we want to see etc etc. The great pleasure I get is seeing a boy from Five Roads, Emlyn, Bancyfelin or Llandeilo grow from the academy/feeder clubs, progress to good pro 14 standard & in many cases on to Welsh caps & in some exceptional cases to play for the British & Irish Lions. 

For instance if the Ospreys attracted a new billionaire owner for next season & filled the squad with star names would any of us be watching our rugby at the Liberty - your having a giraffeWink
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:24am

Someone said they didn't agree with salary caps. I said I do. I never mentioned where,why or how I wanted them implemented. It was just a comment. No idea why you've called me out on not explaining the finer details of my master plan.

Also given that this thread is solely about Saracens, I figured my comments would be taken in relation to the Premiership.

I'm interested in the "level playing field" comment.

It is only a level playing field if the same rule / law is applied to all teams. At the moment, that is not the case.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:27am

I'm interested in the "level playing field" comment.

It is only a level playing field if the same rule / law is applied to all teams. At the moment, that is not the case.

In all honesty there has never been a level playing field and I don't foresee one any time soon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic