Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saracens squad could be dismantled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Ah right, some way off then. Has it been increased?

There's no salary cap for Welsh teams. Although apparently individual directors have put separate spending limits in place.

Scarlets player payroll was £7.7m this season. Which is about what the top English clubs should be spending
Sponsored Links

miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:47pm
In which case I'm still miles off.

When was the salary cap removed?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:48pm
A few years back now.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:49pm
Looks like I'm 4 years out of date on the £3.5m.

Did it go during Project Reset?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:55pm
Not sure exactly when.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 9:02am

Looks like I'm 4 years out of date on the £3.5m.

Did it go during Project Reset?

just before reset I think - but the 3.5m only lasted around a season. After that they all agreed £4.5m - now of course each regions have different amounts agreed based upon the funding, business plan, accounts, amount of Welsh internationals etc.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 1:56pm
I think it'll be an interesting Six Nations for England for sure. The Beeb are saying that England are to have talks with their players to resolve any anger among the squad resulting from the cap scandal.

With England announcing their squad for the Six Nations, which includes 6 Sarries players, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the squad will react.

Many premiership teams have already been vocal with their views about the whole situation, and it'll be interesting to see if any this has filtered down to the players.

Edited by Mrfwon - 21 January 2020 at 1:57pm
Scarlets!!!
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:39pm
England go in as strong favourites due to their home fixtures.

Really hoping France shock them first up. A bit of Shaun Edwards magic. Unfortunately I think France have turned a corner in the last 18 months and their players are completely sick of the shambles that was 2012-2020 for them. They've done nothing since that WC final.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:44pm

Really hoping France shock them first up. A bit of Shaun Edwards magic. Unfortunately I think France have turned a corner in the last 18 months and their players are completely sick of the shambles that was 2012-2020 for them. They've done nothing since that WC final.

I agree with you - France for me are the team who may surprise many this 6 nations. They have had a great few years of success at 20's level and that is filtering through to the senior team. Edwards will only improve them. England, for me, look a little suspect in the back 3, at scrum half and their scrum is still in shock after the World Cup. The French will really go for them. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 7:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I agree with you - France for me are the team who may surprise many this 6 nations. They have had a great few years of success at 20's level and that is filtering through to the senior team. Edwards will only improve them. England, for me, look a little suspect in the back 3, at scrum half and their scrum is still in shock after the World Cup. The French will really go for them. 

Or fall out with them. I asked it before but how's his French? Communication could be an issue. The potential in the French squad and French rugby is enormous but they simply have to find some consistency in selection and performance in key positions along with actually playing as a team. Their issue last 6N was they faded away in the second halves completely and commitment to the national team has always come under question in the timeframe you mention.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:44am
As an aside, I was listening to Flats & Shank's podcast last night (always a decent look at the world of rugby) & they mentioned that clubs playing in the championship (including those relegated from the Premiership) must prove compliance with the Premiership salary cap for 2 seasons before being allowed entry to the Premiership if they win promotion.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 11:07am
Quote Alex Shaw
@alexshawsport
There are definitely two (and maybe a third) Prem clubs who should be sweating Quins haven’t prepared a dossier on them, too. In the rush to persecute Saracens, some things are being missed/overlooked. I can’t write it for a conflict of interests...but it’s there. Dig...
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Or fall out with them. I asked it before but how's his French? Communication could be an issue. The potential in the French squad and French rugby is enormous but they simply have to find some consistency in selection and performance in key positions along with actually playing as a team. Their issue last 6N was they faded away in the second halves completely and commitment to the national team has always come under question in the timeframe you mention.
 Most french people speak pretty good english. Unlike us we are too lazy to learn a second language 😂😂. Edwards is top class as are some of these french youngsters. This year maybe a year too soon but they really are going to be a force soon just need to be fitter and have a consistent selection
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:40pm
Edwards' defensive routines will get them fitter. I agree they are going to be serious contenders at their home World Cup in 2023. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:59pm

Edwards' defensive routines will get them fitter. I agree they are going to be serious contenders at their home World Cup in 2023. 

I think France's fitness thing is a bit of a red herring.Their problem is more about a lack of players in key positions.,or has been until recently.We've seen how good the Toulon 9 is at first hand,but they still need an outside-half of similar ability.For me N'tamack looks too ponderous-although I tend to think that of most international fly-halves these days.In the World Cup,only New Zealand.,Scotland, and Japan showed a real attacking threat at 10.If the English had gone with Cipriani instead of the slower Ford and static Farrell,I think they would have been a pretty complete team.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Most french people speak pretty good english. Unlike us we are too lazy to learn a second language 😂😂. Edwards is top class as are some of these french youngsters. This year maybe a year too soon but they really are going to be a force soon just need to be fitter and have a consistent selection
Having spent quite a bit of time in France for each of the last 18 years, I’d say there is little widespread fluency in English.

Amongst the younger, brighter folk, there will be a very good number who speak English really well.

Outside that, it’s a trial and error mix of charades and repetition or use of different words in order to succeed in getting your message over. While the latter might be fine if on holiday or not pressed for time, it’s not great for training and management of elite players. That needs a translator if no fluency exists.

Look at the number of articles saying that British refs should learn basic French to communicate the dos and donts around match situations.

Coaches need a far wider vocabulary to get the techniques, strategies and so forth involved in the systems they are trying to embed.

Sean Edwards promises to be even more fascinating viewing as his strength of character will “encourage” the players’ attention.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
  Share Topic