Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Toulon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:21pm
Thought we were very poor overall but a couple of aspects were especially bad. Firstly Halfpenny had a shocker - guess it shows that it can happen to even the best players - but the important thing now is how he reacts. Secondly our maul defence was pretty shocking. Yes, I know they had more power than us yet you have to be clever in that situation. Maybe trying to compete harder at the lineout and stop them winning the ball, especially at the middle or back, would’ve been the best option. Lastly our tactics were quite poor, we should’ve kicked and pinned them back instead of trying to run through a brick wall.
Onto next week, let’s go and get the five points with a strong travelling support and hope that it will be enough to qualify.
Sponsored Links

sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

What a very unEuropean Scarlet performance!

What a very unHP performance from Leigh!

Still can qualify, but 3 from Scarlets, Castres/Worcester/Dragons, Edinburgh and Blues.

LI v Scarlets (14)
Wuss (15) v Castres (18)
Dragons (15) v Siberia
Ebdinburgh (16) v Agen
Leicester v Blues (13)
Blues (13) v Calvisano

I see after 6 games - Scarlets (18), Castres (19)/Wuss (19)/Dragons (19), Edinburgh (20), Blues (18)

Sort that one out. 2.3c relates to us.

Points diff is okish.

<p style="-sizing: border-; color: rgb82, 82, 82; font-family: Flexo, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.44px;"><strong style="-sizing: border-;">2.3 The five pool winners and three best-placed runners-up will qualify for the quarter-finals and will be decided as follows:<br style="-sizing: border-;">(a) The pool winner will be the club with the highest number of match points in each pool. The best-placed runners-up will be the three clubs with the highest number of match points out of the five clubs that finish second in their respective pools. For the quarter-finals, the pool winners will be ranked 1 to 5 and the best-placed runners-up 6 and 8 by reference to the number of match points earned.

<p style="-sizing: border-; color: rgb82, 82, 82; font-family: Flexo, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.44px;">(b) If two clubs in the same pool are equal on match points at the end of the pool stage, their ranking will be determined by the results of the two matches played between the relevant clubs as follows:<br style="-sizing: border-;">(i) the club with the greater number of match points from those matches; or<br style="-sizing: border-;">(ii) if equal, the club with the best aggregate points difference from those matches: or<br style="-sizing: border-;">(iii) if equal, the club that scored the most tries in those matches.<br style="-sizing: border-;">.<br style="-sizing: border-;">(c) If ranking remains unresolved and/or if clubs have not played each other previously in the pool stage, qualification/ranking will be determined as follows:<br style="-sizing: border-;">(i) the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or<br style="-sizing: border-;">(ii) if equal, the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or<br style="-sizing: border-;">(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended under Disciplinary Rules in the pool stage; or<br style="-sizing: border-;">(iv) if unresolved, by drawing lots.

I'd be very surprised if Dragons don't get a bonus point win at home next week, putting them on 20 pts.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:28pm
If the blues get at least a losing BP away to Leicester tomorrow, you'd have to fancy Dragons, Edinburgh & Blues to be the best 3 runners up.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Thought we were very poor overall but a couple of aspects were especially bad. Firstly Halfpenny had a shocker - guess it shows that it can happen to even the best players - but the important thing now is how he reacts. Secondly our maul defence was pretty shocking. Yes, I know they had more power than us yet you have to be clever in that situation. Maybe trying to compete harder at the lineout and stop them winning the ball, especially at the middle or back, would’ve been the best option. Lastly our tactics were quite poor, we should’ve kicked and pinned them back instead of trying to run through a brick wall.
Onto next week, let’s go and get the five points with a strong travelling support and hope that it will be enough to qualify.
Our kicking was quite poor, they moved us around and turned us really well with some kicks . There was a awkward swirling wind that did favour them first half which they used very well. We on the other hand seemed to just boot it up the middle of the park which was easy for them to field. Also I’ll never understand why you box kick the ball away and not compete to catch it. They literally just watch the defending team catch it. It’s like a self imposed turnover.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:32pm
By the time we KO next week we’ll know what we need or whether it’s impossible.  
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:55pm
 The usual over the top reaction by supposed supporters well beaten by a pack as big as i have ever seen ,we must win every week in some peoples eyes .

Give Toulon trophy now very impressive .Some on here go support Ospreys .

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:04am
Our kicking game has been awful for years.  We don’t have a tactical kicking game, yet we still insist on attempting to do so.
Toulon played the conditions superbly well, they never went through more than 2 phases before kicking behind us and forcing us to either run from our 22 or to kick back.  Nearly all of their points came from our mistakes, whether it be giving them field position via penalties kicked to the corner from where they scored 2 tries from rolling mauls, another 2 came via HPenny mistakes ( which he’s entitled too, considering he’s been imperious in recent weeks).
They bossed the forward battle and this made it inevitable that the referee would favour them with some of his calls.  He never took control when they tried to start fights on several occasions in the second half.   He showed weakness last week in not at least carding Farrell for a no arms tackle which made contact with the head, so he wasn’t going to blow up for much tonight.
How they kept 15 men on the field in the last 10 minutes I don’t know, 3 penalties for offside on their own try line and no card?.
The best side won, they deserve to top the group, unbeaten in the group.  Hope we can qualify next weekend but if not we can concentrate on the Pro 14 and making sure that we return to the top table of Europe next season.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Our kicking game has been awful for years.  We don’t have a tactical kicking game, yet we still insist on attempting to do so.
Toulon played the conditions superbly well, they never went through more than 2 phases before kicking behind us and forcing us to either run from our 22 or to kick back.  Nearly all of their points came from our mistakes, whether it be giving them field position via penalties kicked to the corner from where they scored 2 tries from rolling mauls, another 2 came via HPenny mistakes ( which he’s entitled too, considering he’s been imperious in recent weeks).
They bossed the forward battle and this made it inevitable that the referee would favour them with some of his calls.  He never took control when they tried to start fights on several occasions in the second half.   He showed weakness last week in not at least carding Farrell for a no arms tackle which made contact with the head, so he wasn’t going to blow up for much tonight.
How they kept 15 men on the field in the last 10 minutes I don’t know, 3 penalties for offside on their own try line and no card?.
The best side won, they deserve to top the group, unbeaten in the group.  Hope we can qualify next weekend but if not we can concentrate on the Pro 14 and making sure that we return to the top table of Europe next season.

League is all important, but a cup run has always been close to our hearts.Its one of the few things that bring crowds to the Parc. Like you said we made mistakes which cost us, but their OUR mistakes so we have some control over them so maybe they can be rectified. Some of them were uncharacteristic so I don’t expect them to be repeated. Toulon so clinical,London Irish to face the backlash!!
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:31am
I think it’s fair to say that Toulon dominated that one.

Positive for us was that our lineout seems to have improved, especially on the opposition’s throw in.
However in most other areas tonight we were poor. Halfpenny (who I must say has been in good form until tonight) did have a shocker as others have noted. Far too many mistakes from others as well though, conditions were the same for both sides but we dropped so many balls!
Tonight felt as though we’d come out with no game plan which was disappointing, players looked ill-prepared.

Also I don’t think the ref was as bad as some are making out. Toulon should have seen a card at the end and he struggled to keep control at times but we’ve had far worse. His assistants didn’t help him out much. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I think it’s fair to say that Toulon dominated that one.

Positive for us was that our lineout seems to have improved, especially on the opposition’s throw in.
However in most other areas tonight we were poor. Halfpenny (who I must say has been in good form until tonight) did have a shocker as others have noted. Far too many mistakes from others as well though, conditions were the same for both sides but we dropped so many balls!
Tonight felt as though we’d come out with no game plan which was disappointing, players looked ill-prepared.

Also I don’t think the ref was as bad as some are making out. Toulon should have seen a card at the end and he struggled to keep control at times but we’ve had far worse. His assistants didn’t help him out much. 
 That game got away from us quickly. Not really bothered about the ref. Never felt we really got into the game. Halfpenny didn’t have great game but the guy is absolute class like you said. Hopefully we’ll have some good news from him soon. But I’m looking forward to the next game. I feel Like this is a strong squad and I just want them to prove it.
sospantwm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospantwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:51am
Good post from miaw..and I agree with most points
I also watched on TV for once, as chest infection prevented me from attending
my observations are thus...
1)Yes halfpenny did not have his best game, but has been amazing all season, just read the praise for him on this forum.
2) A pack the size of Toulon's, many teams would be "outmuscled", but we stuck to the task, despite being up against it !
3)Toulon's recent form has been excellent, putting 40 points on castres team who today thrashed dragons, drawing with Toulon and Clermont
4)Where scarlets fell down is with poor kicking and looking for contact at the expense of fluency. We are always more dangerous, trying to make the ball do the work, particularly when faced with such powerful opponents
5)Finally, every game I have been to this year it has rained(bar zebra). We have   been able to get away with against lesser sides, but against physical opponents as Toulon, conditions played in to their hands. This is a learning curve for brad Moaar of course, and the way he prepares the team for all conditions.
Onwards and upwards
"rugby..its a thinking game"..Carwyn james
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:58am
Considering we probably have one of the rainiest locations in Europe in terms of Rugby, we are pretty terrible at winning in the wet conditions.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 1:03am
Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

I'd be very surprised if Dragons don't get a bonus point win at home next week, putting them on 20 pts.

Yes, my mistake there. Also Pau are very much in the mix in the Blues' pool. We are not favourites to qualify even if get 19 pts.
Scarlets before Wales
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 1:04am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

Yes, my mistake there. Also Pau are very much in the mix in the Blues' pool. We are not favourites to qualify even if get 19 pts.

As dirty as it is to say it, we need Leicester to beat both Blues and Pau without giving them a LBP.
Scarlets before Wales
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Considering we probably have one of the rainiest locations in Europe in terms of Rugby, we are pretty terrible at winning in the wet conditions.
Very valid point, we’ve had rain in all but 1 of our games this season, we should be experts in playing in these kind of conditions.
sospantwm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospantwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 2:31am
Would like to remind the last two gentlemen who have posted that we have WON all our home games this year..in the rain, with the exception of zebra..so we are not too bad at it! You just don't come up against a team as physical as Toulon every week fortunately.
I wonder sometimes if people who post on here actually attend Parc y scarlets
"rugby..its a thinking game"..Carwyn james
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic