Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rees Zammit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rees Zammit
    Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:04pm
Has just signed a long-term deal with Glaws

Wales should not pick him now. 

Anyone who disagrees does not care about our regions.

Edited by henry_winkler - 13 January 2020 at 9:04pm
Sponsored Links

Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:14pm
I totally agree with you 
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

I totally agree with you 

This feels very much like the Webb situation, sign up quick so you don't get caught. 

Wales will pick him, but they shouldn't.
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

I totally agree with you 

This feels very much like the Webb situation, sign up quick so you don't get caught. 

Wales have the blues at home this year so I reckon they could try him out 10-15 mins against Italy then give him a start against Scotland. Scotland have some good big outside backs that will test him in attack and defence. Wingers these days have all the skills of fullbacks though so the likes of Williams,Halfpenny and McNicholl even Amos will be ahead of him in the pecking order we all know that. Josh is superb and North will always be a threat.The press love Lane and we have the magical Steff Evans when on form. So although he is a brilliant prospect I’m not sure the wales management see wing as a position they need to worry about. Can he still be wrapped up by having u 20 caps?
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:28pm

I totally agree with you 

He will learn more quickly in England about the game than he will in Wales. Tougher standard of comp. He's also come through the academy there. No reason to rush him back. His defence and other weaknesses will be worked on better than they would against the likes of Zebre, Dragons, Kings etc. He's come through an English system, no point rushing him back. He can stay there now for 3-4 years (he'll be 22 by next world cup ffs...) and then look at joining a region if he's still thought of as good enough to invest in, which he should be.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:27am
If Pivac selects him anytime soon then my understanding is that He will not be able to sign a contract extension with Gloucester without ruling himself out of further international honours.
If his first pro contract is for 3 Years say, that takes him to the age of 21.  He will not have anywhere near 60 caps, meaning that the WRU or any of regions only need to offer him a contract to rule him out of signing another contract with Gloucester (if he still wants to play for Wales that is).
Leave him there for now, he will learn a lot from playing in the premiership and in the top tier of european rugby, than he would playing against the likes of the Italians and South African teams in the Pro14.  He still has a lot of learning to do before he will be the finished article.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:32am
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

I totally agree with you 

He will learn more quickly in England about the game than he will in Wales. Tougher standard of comp. He's also come through the academy there. No reason to rush him back. His defence and other weaknesses will be worked on better than they would against the likes of Zebre, Dragons, Kings etc. He's come through an English system, no point rushing him back. He can stay there now for 3-4 years (he'll be 22 by next world cup ffs...) and then look at joining a region if he's still thought of as good enough to invest in, which he should be.

He'll learn playing against London Irish, Worcester Newcastle and Leicester than he would against Leinster Munster Ulster??

That seems very unlikely to me.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 7:03am
I thought if the contract was already signed pre international selection the player was ok,maybe steff can clear it up.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 7:05am

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

I totally agree with you 

He'll learn playing against London Irish, Worcester Newcastle and Leicester than he would against Leinster Munster Ulster??

That seems very unlikely to me.
why choose the 4 bottom teams in England and the top few in pro 14?politics awaits you.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 8:02am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I thought if the contract was already signed pre international selection the player was ok,maybe steff can clear it up.
Yes you are correct
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 8:14am
Pivac would be a fool not to pick this young guy. He is absolutely tearing it up in England which, lets be totally honest, is a far tougher league than the pro 14. Not only is he scoring tries he is making tries with quality decision making. This boy is a future Lion so why would he not be brought into the camp and given some time in this 6 nations to tie him to the country that he has consistently said he wants to play for - surely its a no brainer. What message not selecting him because of him signing for Gloucester send to all the other potential Welsh stars currently getting their rugby education in England? 

Talk of not picking him because he has signed for Gloucester is utter nonsense. Do we want a successful Welsh team or not? From what I have seen of this boy & more importantly what decent judges of wing play have stated he is way ahead of any other winger available to Wales today other than Adams. I am classing Liam as a FB for the benefit of this comparison. 

We must realise that there aren't enough contracts available within 4 regions to give all Welsh talent the chance. If English teams can nurture that talent what is wrong with that? We really are so short sighted at times. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pivac would be a fool not to pick this young guy. He is absolutely tearing it up in England which, lets be totally honest, is a far tougher league than the pro 14. Not only is he scoring tries he is making tries with quality decision making. This boy is a future Lion so why would he not be brought into the camp and given some time in this 6 nations to tie him to the country that he has consistently said he wants to play for - surely its a no brainer. What message not selecting him because of him signing for Gloucester send to all the other potential Welsh stars currently getting their rugby education in England? 

Talk of not picking him because he has signed for Gloucester is utter nonsense. Do we want a successful Welsh team or not? From what I have seen of this boy & more importantly what decent judges of wing play have stated he is way ahead of any other winger available to Wales today other than Adams. I am classing Liam as a FB for the benefit of this comparison. 

We must realise that there aren't enough contracts available within 4 regions to give all Welsh talent the chance. If English teams can nurture that talent what is wrong with that? We really are so short sighted at times. 
The message would be if you don’t play in Wales you don’t play for Wales which is how it should be IMO. Nothing short sighted about wanting to strengthen the professional game in Wales. As for not enough places at the Welsh pro sides... it’s all about strength in depth. After all one of the reasons given for moving to regional rugby in 2003 was to create more competition for places. These days we are afraid of it. Imagine how much Rees-Zammit would benefit the Ospreys or the Dragons.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 8:37am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The message would be if you don’t play in Wales you don’t play for Wales which is how it should be IMO. Nothing short sighted about wanting to strengthen the professional game in Wales. As for not enough places at the Welsh pro sides... it’s all about strength in depth. After all one of the reasons given for moving to regional rugby in 2003 was to create more competition for places. These days we are afraid of it. Imagine how much Rees-Zammit would benefit the Ospreys or the Dragons.

Its about getting time on the field surely. Rees-Zammit would probably not have played for any of the regions this season if the truth be told. Look at our team - Conbeer & Baldwin not making our 23 because of McNichol and Hadleigh. 

What about all the other guys who are getting 1st team exposure in England - Lloyd at Bristol, Reiffel & Costelow at Leicester. If they are developing their talents at the cost of English clubs why would we place obstacles in the way of them playing for their country. Take Tommy Reiffel for that matter - an openside. Who would he be starting for in Wales? Young talent needs to play to develop otherwise they do not fulfil their promise. How much has Ryan Elias improved in the past 4 years - he needs games & will not get enough within our regional system.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 8:48am

Its about getting time on the field surely. Rees-Zammit would probably not have played for any of the regions this season if the truth be told. Look at our team - Conbeer & Baldwin not making our 23 because of McNichol and Hadleigh. 

What about all the other guys who are getting 1st team exposure in England - Lloyd at Bristol, Reiffel & Costelow at Leicester. If they are developing their talents at the cost of English clubs why would we place obstacles in the way of them playing for their country. Take Tommy Reiffel for that matter - an openside. Who would he be starting for in Wales? Young talent needs to play to develop otherwise they do not fulfil their promise. How much has Ryan Elias improved in the past 4 years - he needs games & will not get enough within our regional system.
They’d all get plenty of game time in Wales. I’ve said it before but I find it very strange how you are against a ruling which really does benefit the Scarlets 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 9:04am

They’d all get plenty of game time in Wales. I’ve said it before but I find it very strange how you are against a ruling which really does benefit the Scarlets 

I have also said it before I do not see any evidence that this rule has benefitted the Scarlets in any way. I am also fundamentally opposed to any rule which tries to dictate to an individual how they go about their legal business or a rule which stops us selecting our very best players which leads to nonsensical comments like Pivac's statement that non Welsh players would have to be fundamentally better than Welsh born challengers. We shall see how that pans out tomorrow & I hope that journalists like your goodself will challenge Mr Pivac if he selects Hadleigh ahead of Steff or Ben Thomas or Jonny ahead of Steff Evans, Lane, Amos or Rees-Zammit because there cannot be any rugby supporter who consider that they are playing better at the moment than the Welsh born players mentioned. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 9:09am

I have also said it before I do not see any evidence that this rule has benefitted the Scarlets in any way. I am also fundamentally opposed to any rule which tries to dictate to an individual how they go about their legal business or a rule which stops us selecting our very best players which leads to nonsensical comments like Pivac's statement that non Welsh players would have to be fundamentally better than Welsh born challengers. We shall see how that pans out tomorrow & I hope that journalists like your goodself will challenge Mr Pivac if he selects Hadleigh ahead of Steff or Ben Thomas or Jonny ahead of Steff Evans, Lane, Amos or Rees-Zammit because there cannot be any rugby supporter who consider that they are playing better at the moment than the Welsh born players mentioned. 
I’m not going to list names but I could name you over 20 players who have stayed in Wales due to this ruling. And no I’m not going to go all xenophobic on Pivac. McNicholl and Parkes are Welsh qualified and have as much right to play as anyone else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic