Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales 6 Nations Squad Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:20pm
lrz and adams gives us real pace on the flanks, if we play them we need a midfield that can pass the ball to them quickly

If we go that way we should line up with either owen or jarrod at 12 rather than hadleigh

A back five of hill awj naividi tupric and toby f is very mobile and all of them are good footballers

The question mark is if that side is physically powerful enough to cope in test match rugby

We can always bring on bulk in the form of parkes  ball and moriarty if we are getting boshed !

Interesting to see if pivac does go for that style,

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:37pm
Pivac has the ideal opportunity to see if Rees-Zammit can make the step up against Italy. If he fails then Liam in for the Irish game. My gut feeling is that he will be a star.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pivac has the ideal opportunity to see if Rees-Zammit can make the step up against Italy. If he fails then Liam in for the Irish game. My gut feeling is that he will be a star.

I'd definitely have him in the 23 for Italy, if fit... though Liam would have to be back in the team somewhere, for Ireland. Let's see if he has what it takes... he's very promising.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:18pm
Can see the team being something like:
15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Owen Lane
13. Nick Tompkins
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Josh Adams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Gareth Davies
8. Taulupe Faletau
7. Aaron Wainwright
6. Josh Navidi
5. Jake Ball
4. AWJ
3. WGJ
2. Ken Owen
1. Wyn Jones
16. Elliott Dee
17. Rob Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. Will Rowlands
20. Ross Morriarty
21. Tomos Williams
22. Jarrod Evans
23. LRZ
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:44pm
I'll say it now in advance of the whole 6N (possibly much longer) so I don't have to repeat myself but I wish Eddie Jones would just shut up.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:49pm
Having Italy first up isn't ideal, is it.

Can't see too many debutants starting the game but a few from the bench. They'll probably start Tompkins though.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:33pm
For me Italy first up is ideal. Can see three new caps starting - WiiGriff, Rees-Zammit & Tompkins with Jonny & Wil getting capped off the bench. Liam fit for Ireland then 3 from Halfpenny, Liam, Ress-Zammit & Adams. Rees-Zammit needs to be capped to keep him from England's clutches who better than Italy? 
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 6:41pm
It'll hurt when we need a break mid tournament and have no game we can coast through and win. Can't even do that against France now, as the World Cup showed. That's the biggest thing stopping Wales from a Slam this year.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Can see the team being something like:
15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Owen Lane
13. Nick Tompkins
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Josh Adams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Gareth Davies
8. Taulupe Faletau
7. Aaron Wainwright
6. Josh Navidi
5. Jake Ball
4. AWJ
3. WGJ
2. Ken Owen
1. Wyn Jones
16. Elliott Dee
17. Rob Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. Will Rowlands
20. Ross Morriarty
21. Tomos Williams
22. Jarrod Evans
23. LRZ

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Mcnicholl
13. North
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Josh Adams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Gareth Davies
8. Aaron Wainwright
7. Tipuric (if fit)
6. Josh Navidi
5. Jake Ball
4. AWJ
3. WGJ
2. Ken Owen
1. Wyn Jones
16. Elliott Dee
17. Rob Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. cory hill (If fit)
20. Faletau
21. Tomos Williams
22. Jarrod Evans
23. LRZ

if any injuries at 10 12 then jarod can cover and the option of josh adams into centre too

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 10:40pm
I think LRZ will be starting against Italy. JMac to the bench as versatile cover, replaced by Liam Williams for the week after. Pivac's set his stall out and wants to get the team running the ball and moving around the pitch. Can't see us winning the title this year to be honest.

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

I think LRZ will be starting against Italy. JMac to the bench as versatile cover, replaced by Liam Williams for the week after. Pivac's set his stall out and wants to get the team running the ball and moving around the pitch. Can't see us winning the title this year to be honest.

i know nothing of this new kid on the bloick but has he done enough to usurp johnny mac who has shown his class for several years
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:17am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

i know nothing of this new kid on the bloick but has he done enough to usurp johnny mac who has shown his class for several years

Well Roy I have seen as much of LRZ as Jonny this season - almost. On the evidence of performances this season it is absolutely no contest - the kid wins hands down. Of course we haven't seen the best of Jonny this season & he has had a few issues with his ankle which is holding him back. 

It will be an interesting decision at 13 which seems to be down to a straight choice between George & Tompkins. The competition is interestingly poised. The Scots seem to have shot themselves in the foot before a ball is kicked so the tournament will be between 4 sides. England will be strong but their back row, front row and back 3 are areas which could be exposed. In addition if I was an English rugby fan I would be wondering where the next quality scrum half is going to come from for 2023. 

As for the Irish squad - well Farrell's squad was pretty underwhelming. They have serious issues at 10 - getting a decent one fit; their back row options look limited and the selection of Toner ahead of Kline seems an admission that they perhaps got it wrong for the world Cup. France are the dark horse. I am glad we have them in Cardiff. As for Wales - we will have the best back row in the tournament & a back 3 as good as anyone. Our secret weapons could be the strength we bring off the bench particularly in the front row. WGJ will add power carrying as well as stability ( hopefully) & no team will look forward to 20 stone recruits like Carre & Brown coming on with 20/30 minutes to go. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:53am

Well Roy I have seen as much of LRZ as Jonny this season - almost. On the evidence of performances this season it is absolutely no contest - the kid wins hands down. Of course we haven't seen the best of Jonny this season & he has had a few issues with his ankle which is holding him back. 

It will be an interesting decision at 13 which seems to be down to a straight choice between George & Tompkins. The competition is interestingly poised. The Scots seem to have shot themselves in the foot before a ball is kicked so the tournament will be between 4 sides. England will be strong but their back row, front row and back 3 are areas which could be exposed. In addition if I was an English rugby fan I would be wondering where the next quality scrum half is going to come from for 2023. 

As for the Irish squad - well Farrell's squad was pretty underwhelming. They have serious issues at 10 - getting a decent one fit; their back row options look limited and the selection of Toner ahead of Kline seems an admission that they perhaps got it wrong for the world Cup. France are the dark horse. I am glad we have them in Cardiff. As for Wales - we will have the best back row in the tournament & a back 3 as good as anyone. Our secret weapons could be the strength we bring off the bench particularly in the front row. WGJ will add power carrying as well as stability ( hopefully) & no team will look forward to 20 stone recruits like Carre & Brown coming on with 20/30 minutes to go. 
I think they will move him to centre to save themselves from dropping him from the wing,he deserves neither place.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I think they will move him to centre to save themselves from dropping him from the wing,he deserves neither place.

I take your point Nige - I don't think he makes the squad if Foxy is fit. Could be just what he needs. Getting him involved enough times in games is the problem hopefully he will get more chance at 13 if selected. 
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 10:13am
Brown and Carre aren’t great scrummagers by any means so I doubt many countries will be concerned about that aspect of their game!
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 10:16am
North at 13 never really does it for me, not a great defender , not a great passer and he looks to have lost a lot of his power (unless he is just dialling it in for the ospreys this season)

our hardest two fixtures are away this year and its highly unlikely we will both, to win one will be a good achievement

At home We should beat Italy and Scotland with something to spare, france wil be a much harder proposition I'd still back us at home though

in short if we win a gs it is a brilliant season, 4 from 5 is a really good season, 3 from 5 is par, 2 from 5  below par , 1 from  is v poor and 0 from 5 should be an instant sacking

Pivac has made some  really good appointments in stevo, humph , and I include warburton in that category (proper officer material he is). He has done well to keep the likes of stridgeon and Jenkins on board

My main concerns are that   Byron will be out of his depth  at this level as defence coach  and I do worry Pivac is a bit too slack and will let discipline slide.

We will be fun to watch but I don't see us winning any silverwear under pivac's tenure  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic