Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs London Irish (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:38pm
2014/15

European Cup

#11: v Leicester, 16.1.15; v Toulon, 24.1.15;
Bench (#23)
- 11:
- 12:
- 13:
v Ulster (debut), 14.12.14, rep. Regan King (66');
- 14:
- 15:

Pro12

#11: v Leinster, 7.3.15; v Edinburgh, 28.3.15; v Zebre, 11.4.15;
#12: v Ospreys, 27.12.14 (first start); v Connacht, 15.2.15; v Munster, 21.2.15; v Ulster, 27.2.15;
#13: v Dragons, 25.4.15; v Cardiff Blues, 10.5.15; v Treviso, 16.5.15;
#14: v Ospreys, 3.1.15 (home debut start); v Glasgow, 9.1.15;
Bench (#23)
- 11:
- 12:
- 13:
- 14:
- 15:
v Cardiff Blues, 19.12.14, rep. Steff Evans (65');

TOTAL (including bench starts):

11: 5
12: 4
13: 4
14: 2
15: 1

8 times in the centre, 8 times in the back 3.

Now, for me, this was when he was playing some of his best rugby, from 2014-2016ish. No doubt because he was younger, fitter, and hungrier. But he played his best rugby as a utility back for the Scarlets, and perhaps some short memories are forgetting this. The trend was he played 12 with Regan King outside him, but when Scott Williams played, he moved to 13. And he was also seen as a useful utility sub or safe winger. I COULD check all the stats from the next season as well, but it is my memory - and it's served me pretty well so far - that it really only coincided with the last few weeks of the 16/17 season that Parkes was seen as anything but a versatile centre, and only when Gatland came along in the autumn of that year that he became an out and out 12, and I think everyone agrees this is when his performances dropped.
Sponsored Links

miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Actually, when did you start watching the Scarlets? If it's the title winning season this makes a lot of sense.

Your points about 'do you even watch' is just classic projection, isn't it!? Haha. Got you, nice one GPR. It all makes sense now...

You really are a prat. 

Parkes played a handful of games at 13 during the Foxy/Scott/ Parkes rotation in the 16/17 season. He also covered wing at times, either injury cover or because Pivac needed his quality somewhere in the starting 15.

He’s played a stack more games at 12 than all the other positions put together though.

When Parkes started it was always he that defended the 12 channel on opposition set piece, regardless of his shirt number.

Amazingly resilient player. Great patroller of the 10/12 channel. Seriously low error count.

I reckon in his first season he played less at 12 than he did at 13. And maybe even as often in the back 3 as he did at 12.

Anyone have those sort of stats?

That’s probably not far off in his first couple of seasons...11/12/13 ... but also wasn’t a regular starter either.

That wasn’t the point you we’re making though. You suggested he played more rugby away from the 12 shirt in his time with us.

Yes, the stats reveal that he did indeed play more tries not at 12 then he did at 12. If there's been a misinterpretation of that in terms of his whole Scarlets career, rather than when he played his best rugby i.e. before Wales, then apologies, but I know what I think, and the stats back that up.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:49pm
slightly off topic here now Clap
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:53pm
Haha. It's only off topic when I'm right, is it?
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:57pm
This forum has become very childish. Not surprising that a lot don't post anymore
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:59pm
Not sure about childish but I don't appreciate being called a prat, not watching games, an Ospreys season ticket holder etc. just because people disagree on a matter of opinion and/or have awful memories for the facts.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:03pm

No now I’ve got home from work and looked at the last 20 posts talking about Parkes lol
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:06pm
He’s made his point, got the stats to back it up. 

Personally I feel like his best rugby came when he was challenging Scott for the centre jersey. Competition within the squad really drove us that title winning year. 

Scott vs Hadleigh 
DTH, Mcnicholl and Steff
Dinky vs Patch 

But I will agree,  conjecture, trolling and faux outrage on here detracts from the real debate. Its rugby not soccer leave that stuff to your facebook pages. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:15pm
Being a simple soul, what has this to do with Scarlets team vs London Irish?
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:24pm
Just the way the conversation went, really.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:30pm
Or should I say the way some wanted it to go !!!!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:36pm

That’s concerning. Your not actually right, but seem to want to masquerade your original comments with nuance to make it look like you are.

I’m not bothered really on reflection.It’s a chat forum, everyone is fully entitled to their views.

There just does’t need to be a winner and loser in every post/discussion though. It tends to grate.

Edited by Wil Chips - 21 January 2020 at 6:38pm
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:57pm
I literally am 'right', you just misunderstood, and are trying to trip me up instead of just asking what I actually think, which has nothing to do with trying to 'win' online points. You're doing the very thing you're arguing isn't needed. This is now beyond pointless. My point about Parkes stands.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 7:06pm
Cool eds boiso
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 7:14pm

I literally am 'right', you just misunderstood, and are trying to trip me up instead of just asking what I actually think, which has nothing to do with trying to 'win' online points. You're doing the very thing you're arguing isn't needed. This is now beyond pointless. My point about Parkes stands.

I agree. Absolutely pointless debating you.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 7:33pm
There's nothing to debate!? You're 'debating' what my opinion is and ultimately trying to tell me what I think - how on earth do you think that's a fruitful thing to do?!

This all started talking about centre options and Steff Hughes, I think. Then Parkes being a 'natural' 12, and then whether he was a utility back  or not.

Seems you've taken exception to the stats. Honestly, suck it up. This is beyond annoying but the gaslighting going in is stupid. Waste of time, waste of energy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic