Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs London Irish (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

.........8 times in the centre, 8 times in the back 3.

Now, for me, this was when he was playing some of his best rugby, from 2014-2016ish. No doubt because he was younger, fitter, and hungrier. But he played his best rugby as a utility back for the Scarlets, and perhaps some short memories are forgetting this. The trend was he played 12 with Regan King outside him, but when Scott Williams played, he moved to 13. And he was also seen as a useful utility sub or safe winger. I COULD check all the stats from the next season as well, but it is my memory - and it's served me pretty well so far - that it really only coincided with the last few weeks of the 16/17 season that Parkes was seen as anything but a versatile centre, and only when Gatland came along in the autumn of that year that he became an out and out 12, and I think everyone agrees this is when his performances dropped.
Forget about the stats because they really don't support the argument that Parkes is a better utility back than an out-and-out center, they really don't. Parkes has played across the backline from neccessity; from the needs of the squad; not from where his best position is or where he is better utilised.  

His time at 10 for instance had nothing to do with him being versatile enough to play 10 but more to do with him being the least worst option to play 10 due to our injury crisis.  Calling Parkes a utility player cos he could play other positions is like calling Phil Bennet a utility player cos he could play 15 from time to time.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 21 January 2020 at 11:08pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Now, for me, this was when he was playing some of his best rugby, from 2014-2016ish. No doubt because he was younger, fitter, and hungrier. But he played his best rugby as a utility back for the Scarlets, and perhaps some short memories are forgetting this. The trend was he played 12 with Regan King outside him, but when Scott Williams played, he moved to 13. And he was also seen as a useful utility sub or safe winger. I COULD check all the stats from the next season as well, but it is my memory - and it's served me pretty well so far - that it really only coincided with the last few weeks of the 16/17 season that Parkes was seen as anything but a versatile centre, and only when Gatland came along in the autumn of that year that he became an out and out 12, and I think everyone agrees this is when his performances dropped.
Forget about the stats because they really don't support the argument that Parkes is a better utility back than an out-and-out center, they really don't. Parkes has played across the backline from neccessity; from the needs of the squad; not from where his best position is or where he is better utilised.  

His time at 10 for instance had nothing to do with him being versatile enough to play 10 but more to do with him being the least worst option to play 10.  Calling Parkes a utility player cos he could play other positions is like calling Phil Bennet a utility player cos he could play 15 from time to time.

Spot on.Parkes arrived as a centre.Pivac inherited a squad with big deficiencies-particularly on the wing.Until the emergence of Steff Evans,and the signing of Van der Merwe and Mcnicholl,the cupboard was pretty bare.Parkes played there out of necessity,and let nobody down.
Any debate about Parkes should focus on how he currently performs in the centre.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 21 January 2020 at 11:18pm
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:02am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

He’s made his point, got the stats to back it up. 

Personally I feel like his best rugby came when he was challenging Scott for the centre jersey. Competition within the squad really drove us that title winning year. 

Scott vs Hadleigh 
DTH, Mcnicholl and Steff
Dinky vs Patch 

But I will agree,  conjecture, trolling and faux outrage on here detracts from the real debate. Its rugby not soccer leave that stuff to your facebook pages. 

I feel bad for saying it, but it always felt that the reason we won it came down to three main things for me, in the order given:
- Very lucky on the injury front
- Tadgh Beirne
- Cubby boi
Scarlets before Wales
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:01am

His time at 10 for instance had nothing to do with him being versatile enough to play 10 but more to do with him being the least worst option to play 10 due to our injury crisis.  Calling Parkes a utility player cos he could play other positions is like calling Phil Bennet a utility player cos he could play 15 from time to time.
sorry rob but dan jones wasn't injured when we played the ospreys away.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Good point Nige, and Patch was fit also - playing 15.  

Looking at the selection for that specific game (granted it was a bit strange), nobody as far as I can remember thought Parkes was playing 10 because he was a good utility back or that he was a better 10 than Patch. I think Pivac must have felt that he needed to bolster up the defence at that position, which had been a bit suspect in earlier games. 

If anything, it proved that Parkes was NOT a utility back and maybe his loss of form had more to do with him being played out of position rather than Gatland picking him at 12?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:08am

Excellent post Rob - spot on.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:10am

Looking at the selection for that specific game (granted it was a bit strange), nobody as far as I can remember thought Parkes was playing 10 because he was a good utility back or that he was a better 10 than Patch. I think Pivac must have felt that he needed to bolster up the defence at that position, which had been a bit suspect in earlier games. 

If anything, it proved that Parkes was NOT a utility back and maybe his loss of form had more to do with him being played out of position rather than Gatland picking him at 12?

Very true Nige. Bad choices made under pressure of losing too often. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes, indeed. Playing Parkes at 10 was a defensive move, but it wasn't a good idea. He can certainly do a decent job as a defensive wing, but 12 is his best position by a distance.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:27pm
parkes loss of  form  came after injuries and age tbh

Test match rugby puts extra demands on the body (as does gatland's training regime) , and this allied to him getting older , has slowed him down and appear to have led to a down turn in his form

TBH I think if he hadn't had the welsh call up he would be a lot less battered and would be in better form for us

Playing him 10 was bizarre , he clearly is not a 10 in any way shape or form , it would be like asking shingler to go and play prop and then being surprised when he had a stinker!

Edited by RR1972 - 22 January 2020 at 12:28pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:51pm
Yes very true. I do wonder if Gatland's beasting of the players actually backfired during the World Cup. Against S. Africa we looked jaded and out on our feet. That combined with playing Foxy who was clearly not fit led to us losing that game. Even AWJ was reduced to walking between set pieces which is very rare. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 1:04pm

Yes very true. I do wonder if Gatland's beasting of the players actually backfired during the World Cup. Against S. Africa we looked jaded and out on our feet. That combined with playing Foxy who was clearly not fit led to us losing that game. Even AWJ was reduced to walking between set pieces which is very rare. 

You may well have a point - that said, we were close to their line for a while near the end, but failed to seal the deal. It'll be interesting to see how the team goes under new management.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 2:59pm

No, don't forget the stats. Don't forget them in the slightest. They were there to help those who forgot/never knew he played a lot on the wing and even full back, and would definitely be considered a truly versatile back (forget him playing 10 - you don't focus on the weakest part of an argument to dismiss it, you deal with the strongest points. Clearly 10 was not his position whereas 13 and wing was).

As for my argument/belief over whether he was better as a utility back moving around rather than solely an inside centre, it's not one I really want to defend to the hilt as this has already become hostile enough. But that is my call on him as a player. It was far from necessity and you're in fact ignoring the glaringly, maddeningly obvious fact when it comes to necessity - the sole reason he is now an 'out and out 12' is because...wait for it...Wales, Gatland, and Jamie Roberts not being up to the job.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

His time at 10 for instance had nothing to do with him being versatile enough to play 10 but more to do with him being the least worst option to play 10.  Calling Parkes a utility player cos he could play other positions is like calling Phil Bennet a utility player cos he could play 15 from time to time.

Spot on.Parkes arrived as a centre.Pivac inherited a squad with big deficiencies-particularly on the wing.Until the emergence of Steff Evans,and the signing of Van der Merwe and Mcnicholl,the cupboard was pretty bare.Parkes played there out of necessity,and let nobody down.
Any debate about Parkes should focus on how he currently performs in the centre.

It's definitely not spot on. Parkes played on the wing well in to the second season and was shifted between 12 and 13 regularly, which he isn't anymore. Nothing spot on about that assessment. Pivac lost faith in Gareth Owen and changed the two players' roles around, with Owen moving out to the wing from 12, and then obviously leaving the club.

You could just as easily make the case that Parkes was playing centre 'because the cupboard was bare'.

It is literally true that Parkes is playing 12 (and 12 only) for Wales and now the Scarlets because the cupboard is very bare in this position, not just in the region, but across the country.

Why misread the past so badly for the sake of the present?
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:04pm

Excellent post Rob - spot on.

Why do you think it's 'spot on' to focus on him at 10 last season - which he played, what, 3 times maybe?

Why not focus on the way he played 10 closing out games in the title winning season?

It's inarguable - literally inarguable - he's a versatile player who played very good rugby in 4 positions, 12, 13, 11, 14.

Edited by miaow - 22 January 2020 at 3:06pm
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:07pm

Same as above.

Wtf is the insistence on trying to focus on his very worst games in the very worst Scarlets team when not playing at 12?

He has far more credit in the bank as a winger. Jesus...
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Yes, indeed. Playing Parkes at 10 was a defensive move, but it wasn't a good idea. He can certainly do a decent job as a defensive wing, but 12 is his best position by a distance.

No chance. Now that he's 33 and nearing retirement it's just about the only position he can play. But he was definitely no better at 12 than 13 for the first few years and played all over the pitch, including full back, back in NZ.

Utility back. No single best position.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic