Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sam Costello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

could taking patch out of the firing line of the 10 channel and trying him  at 13 now and again help?
It would help with our centre problem 
Just an idea

I think he's a 10 or nothing. Don't like him at 15, nowhere near physical enough to play in the cente (take a look at Kuridrani running over him in Japan).

He's a good 10, with more consistency could become a great one, but probably a tough ask. I think Anscombe and Biggar are two world class 10s and Patchell adds something extra for Wales. For the Scarlets, as long as we keep Halfpenny, he's the best 10 at the club.
Sponsored Links

miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he is a top prospect albeit his size could be an issue, he is not going to come to a region to be 4th or even 3rd choice or to play semi pro.  If he comes someone will go. He would be second choice ten at any other region as would dan or aob. I can see him coming but id expect 1 of the current crop to leave if he does

"You are talking complete and UtTeR cRaP. Absolutely clueless."

Confused
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:35pm

is he a 12? Hes small for a ten i think he’d get swamped at 12 tbh. Id be happy to lose aob or jones for him this kid’s ceiling is higher. I’d swap parkes for tompkins to as you say we should be ruthless

Yeah, looks far too small to be anything but a 10.

Looks a great player.

I'd sign him for 2021/22.

That's the point I was making. But apparently it's worthy of jumping down peoples' throats...
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.
You are talking complete and utter crap. Absolutely clueless. There’s room in the Scarlets squad for Costellow and the current three.

Good point, well reasoned.

Lol
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

he is a top prospect albeit his size could be an issue, he is not going to come to a region to be 4th or even 3rd choice or to play semi pro.  If he comes someone will go. He would be second choice ten at any other region as would dan or aob. I can see him coming but id expect 1 of the current crop to leave if he does

Que sera.... 

The biggest mistake in squad building and retention we have made since regionalisation was in being faithful to our ageing but high quality squad at the time of the Celtic warriors demise. In particular we should have had Ryan Jones and said thank you very much to Scotty Q. who lasted one more season.  
If you have a surplus of 10s then let them fight it out for the big games. Costellow is a 12 as well so let him have game time there and move him into the 10 slot slowly. Parkes is away with Wales or injured alot and our lack of centre cover has been endlessly discussed on here recently so what's not to like? 

Alternatively, block the development of some if not all of your 10s by not playing any of them enough, create an atmosphere of unfulfillment and unhealthy competition on the basis of scarcity of games among the 10s, and have some of them leave at the first opportunity to gain more rugby.

This mirrors the situation at 9 we had a few years ago.

The Scarlets are better off for having let Aled Davies go.

Rhodri Williams is a much better player for having left us and tested himself in Bristol before working his way back up. Most of us at the time thought he should have been kept, but as he wasn't fancied over Aled, he made the right call by leaving at the first chance, even if it cost him Wales caps by going to Bristol and doing things the hard way.

You can't guarantee having 3 Welsh 10s who want to be challenging for Wales cap, and one exciting youngster, won't go badly wrong.

Jonny Evs is not competing for Wales caps, and so it works well. Kieran Hardy is much more raw than either AOB or Dan Jones. Dane Blacker is a prospect as well. We have the Welsh 9, two rookies, and one more experienced clubman.

At 10, we have one of the replacement 10 options for Wales, and two 10s who aren't far off him. As it is, having those 3 is great for the club but tough on them in terms of sharing the load. Adding a rookie for next season doesn't make sense unless we're forced to i.e. his contract is up and he's on the verge of signing a 5 year pro contract with Leicester.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:44pm
WGJ would be a good signing but I think he suits the Premiership and for Wales, a bit like with Francis, I think it benefits our tight 5 forwards playing there instead of in the Pro14. Much tougher standard of comp for the tight 5 of a pack. It's also where he's broken through so no need to rush things. See how he goes for Wales first.

Kruger is still doing a great job for us but we do need to bring someone else through. Samson's a good option and should be much more available now as I think the test game has passed him by, it's now for the likes of Dillon Lewis and Leon Brown - tightheads who play like Gethin Jenkins did, or Rob Evs - to take up that mantle.

Any promising young Welsh tightheads around?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:34pm

Confused
How much did your Ospreys season ticket cost?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Confused
How much did your Ospreys season ticket cost?

miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:50pm
(it's not great banter)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

isn’t roderick a 13?
Yes
Your Avatar surprised me.

Always had you down as an Addams.

Must be the hairstyle, certainly not the dress sense.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

isn’t roderick a 13?
Yes

the mods gave it to me when i queried signing some no name from nz. They were right i was wrong 😂😂
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 8:47pm

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

isn’t roderick a 13?
Yes

the mods gave it to me when i queried signing some no name from nz. They were right i was wrong 😂😂
Well confessed LOL

Looking forward to hearing OAM’s reply Wink
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:54pm

Originally posted by John John wrote:

Que sera.... 

The biggest mistake in squad building and retention we have made since regionalisation was in being faithful to our ageing but high quality squad at the time of the Celtic warriors demise. In particular we should have had Ryan Jones and said thank you very much to Scotty Q. who lasted one more season.  
If you have a surplus of 10s then let them fight it out for the big games. Costellow is a 12 as well so let him have game time there and move him into the 10 slot slowly. Parkes is away with Wales or injured alot and our lack of centre cover has been endlessly discussed on here recently so what's not to like? 

Alternatively, block the development of some if not all of your 10s by not playing any of them enough, create an atmosphere of unfulfillment and unhealthy competition on the basis of scarcity of games among the 10s, and have some of them leave at the first opportunity to gain more rugby.

This mirrors the situation at 9 we had a few years ago.

The Scarlets are better off for having let Aled Davies go.

Rhodri Williams is a much better player for having left us and tested himself in Bristol before working his way back up. Most of us at the time thought he should have been kept, but as he wasn't fancied over Aled, he made the right call by leaving at the first chance, even if it cost him Wales caps by going to Bristol and doing things the hard way.

You can't guarantee having 3 Welsh 10s who want to be challenging for Wales cap, and one exciting youngster, won't go badly wrong.

Jonny Evs is not competing for Wales caps, and so it works well. Kieran Hardy is much more raw than either AOB or Dan Jones. Dane Blacker is a prospect as well. We have the Welsh 9, two rookies, and one more experienced clubman.

At 10, we have one of the replacement 10 options for Wales, and two 10s who aren't far off him. As it is, having those 3 is great for the club but tough on them in terms of sharing the load. Adding a rookie for next season doesn't make sense unless we're forced to i.e. his contract is up and he's on the verge of signing a 5 year pro contract with Leicester.

Your argument about the trio of scrum halves would carry some weight if they had all faded away. But they have all three gone on to have high quality careers. Yes two had to leave but we ended up with the best one and we and the three scrum halves can have few regrets. Except perhaps Aled in his choice  of where to go to but thats another matter. I'd be happy to have Dan, AOB and Costelow behind Patch. There are always two fly halves in a match day squad and injuries as well. The competition might drive them to higher standards. Thats part of the purpose of a squad.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 11:17pm
Wait, what? So 2 9s leave the Scarlets to get more gametime based on too much depth in one postion. It's gone well for most parties involved...and that's *against* my argument?

How?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 8:06am

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.

I really don't get some of your comments. Patchell is not a running distributor option? Have you watched him play? He is considered by many including myself as our best running/distributor option in Wales. Furthermore he has a huge advantage over Evans in his kicking ability both from the tee & hand. 

As for Dan & AOB - who was selected to start our must win game on Saturday - oh that would be Dan which hardly suggests that AOB is Brad's favourite. Dan has been injured for a number of weeks = not available to play. 

Of course he is, but he's more of a well rounded 10 as well. Likes to mix it up with the boot and does lack a yard of pace compared to Anscombe and Jarrod. Not by much, but I think his height as well means the other two are a bit more useful at getting through a gap.

Mooar has rotated his team constantly. AOB has played more of the bigger games than Dan.

The constant 'have you watched him play' comments are getting really f'ing boring...

AOB has started 4 games I believe, most if not all when Dan has been injured. That leaves Dan starting the vast majority of games played this season & if I'm not mistaken that means all the games apart from when he was injured. That is the reason some of fellow posters & I keep asking if you have seen the games because from some of your comments it appears you haven't. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 8:10am
Apparently Costellow is comfortable at 9, 10 & 12. It will be very interesting to see who gets selected between him & Lloyd to start at 10 for the 20's. Both are rare talents. One thing that stands out for me is we have 3 very young guys - Costellow, Lloyd & Rees-Zammit all having been given serious top level gametime in England. Would they have had such exposure if they were with a Welsh region - I don't think so - look at Conbeer & Baldwin. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic