Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sam Costello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Whilst the pack strangled ours , the  Italian backs were also strong and physical and skilful  with good handling skills. Very impressive team and will be interesting to see how they get on in the other games. 

They might beat the Scots.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:23am
Age group rugby was and is way too political when it comes to selection. Look at the regional age results over the years and look at the make up of the test under 20 team for proof of that
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Age group rugby was and is way too political when it comes to selection. Look at the regional age results over the years and look at the make up of the test under 20 team for proof of that

You don't have to look further than where they play.Parc Eirias is itself a political choice. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 1:52pm

The Italian pack were dominant and did the same to Wales 18s last season ,when they put 30 points on us .

Jac Morgan was outstanding, impressed by Sam Costellow ,disappointed he did not have more of a  chance to show his excellent attacking game ,the appetite he as shown in defence for the Tigers and Wales Age grade as been very impressive .

With Welsh pack been well beaten, it was a blow that Osian Knott had little chance to show the quality he belongs too.

Edited by 157cb - 01 February 2020 at 1:52pm
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2020 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

I was impressed by his tackling. Hard to gauge anything else given the absolute pasting up front and the lack of possession.

Jac Morgan tackled his heart out.
Was the 4 one of ours? He was really poor.

Yes
#George
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Sorrry i thought he was poor and i rate the kid. The whole team were poor and some of the selections were baffling tbh lloyd and roderick are the best of this level neither started

Don't disagree about the team being poor. It is very difficult to judge a backline when the forwards are being so comprehensively outplayed. Would Lloyd & Roderick have made any difference - I think not but they must both be worthy starters at 15 for Lloyd & 13 for Roderick next week. Also lets play Osian in his best position of 12.

Team looked disorganised and poorly coached if i'm honest. 
Aneurin Owen was the starting 12 last season and will be next also if he continues at this age group. He will take some shifting, as they have big plans for him. Don't see Osian as a better option at 12 tbh.

#George
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 11:13pm
Knott really good today. Sam struggled again but made one big hit in defence
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:34am

Yes Knott looked a decent player. Costellow, like Lloyd after him, struggled to control a game behind a beaten front 5. He doesn't shy away from a tackle thats for sure.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 10:06am

Yes Knott looked a decent player. Costellow, like Lloyd after him, struggled to control a game behind a beaten front 5. He doesn't shy away from a tackle thats for sure.

Watched Costellow twice now.Yes,he's played behind a beaten pack,but has failed to impress at all.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 08 February 2020 at 10:07am
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Watched Costellow twice now.Yes,he's played behind a beaten pack,but has failed to impress at all.
He’s 18 years old.... and there was plenty of good in his game yesterday
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 11:01am
A better Welsh U20 performance last night, but still riddled with errors and poor decisions. Playing catch-up rugby after the first minute in terrible conditions wasn't ideal for our half-backs trying to control the game. We had more possession than we had against Italy U20s and ironically some of the Irish's best moves came from breakaways when they were under pressure (mostly from poor kicks, lineouts and suicidal off-loads) When these breakaways occured, our defence was usually poorly organised, and although there were plenty of players back to tackle, all that it seemed necessary was for the attacker to run at pace toward a gap between defenders, in which case both defenders left the tackling to the other, leaving the attacker to sail through the gap, with barely a hand laid on him. Costellow was one of the better tacklers and almost scored (should have been a penalty try if Knott hadn't scored his first). Costellow converted brilliantly.
Under these circumstances I find it difficult to be too critical of Costelow, although obviously, he was not blame-free.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 12:20pm
Hard to tell but he doesn’t seem big enough or evidently stand out talented to upset our 3 10s unless one of them is off?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 12:21pm
These are young guys who are learning their trade. I have seen enough of Costellow to think he is an excellent addition to our squad. He is quick & brave with good feet. Once he is immersed in the Scarlets way he will be an impressive option going forward. Osian also looks the part - he is big and abrasive may well be the long term answer for us at 12. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I don't need to be reminded of his age-I did notice that it was an under 20's game.There were thirty players on view aged from 18 to 20:some of them were impressive,some weren't.Costellow wasn't impressive.Good half-backs will often find themselves behind struggling forwards,and then have to demonstrate their ability to make the best of little or poor possession.On this basis,Costellow has been poor so far and I see no point in pretending otherwise.I hope he improves.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 2:12pm

I don't need to be reminded of his age-I did notice that it was an under 20's game.There were thirty players on view aged from 18 to 20:some of them were impressive,some weren't.Costellow wasn't impressive.Good half-backs will often find themselves behind struggling forwards,and then have to demonstrate their ability to make the best of little or poor possession.On this basis,Costellow has been poor so far and I see no point in pretending otherwise.I hope he improves.
You going to ignore the good things in his game?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 2:26pm

You going to ignore the good things in his game?

I haven't ignored the good things,but they were far outnumbered by the bad.Why are you ignoring  the bad?

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 08 February 2020 at 2:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic