Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Tompkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:07pm
It is going to be difficult recruiting new centres at the moment, we have 2 current internationals (when fit) a South Sea international, and a few good regional players with aspirations of further honours. Its a big pool.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

thing is with scott , you get a good character and leader as well as the player . He will be a top role model for our youngsters You can never have too many leaders in a squad
Would be good to have him back . I’m still not certain why he left other than the competition for first choice centre which as he knows is only an injury away from change. He does not belong at the Ospreys. 
 Scott has been a big fan favourite with the scarlets but I think that time has passed as a player , he’s had a lot of injuries And a nod to the future with younger player is needed. At the level we’re playing at we need someone younger with some  experience and Tomkins fits that bill well. To many young inexperienced players isn’t great and we don’t want to become a retirement club for Southern Hemisphere players topping up pensions. There will be be massive competition for Tompkins and I think we should be part of it. He’s had to fight for his place at Saracens and I don’t  think that would bother him at the Scarlets
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

thing is with scott , you get a good character and leader as well as the player . He will be a top role model for our youngsters You can never have too many leaders in a squad

You've hit the nail on the head RR. Never replaced his defensive solidity in midfield - Blues centres wouldn't have run amock if he had been at 12 - & his on field leadership. If his International days are gone & he is happy with his own fitness I would have him back in a heartbeat - then watch Baldwin develop into a full International. 
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:05pm
He's barely playing for the Ospreys, boys. I'd like him back but we need to be realistic. Think his body has broken down.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:29pm
He’s played every game bar 3 for the Ospreys this season. One of those was out in Metro where they wouldn't pick him ( much to his annoyance) as they only had one fit centre to go in to the Xmas fixtures.
( That’s more than Parkes, Watkin and Owen Williams combined by the way)
All this whilst also being a dad. Pretty amazing.

Edited by Wil Chips - 24 January 2020 at 6:38pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

He’s played every game bar 3 for the Ospreys this season. One of those was out in Metro where they wouldn't pick him ( much to his annoyance) as they only had one fit centre to go in to the Xmas fixtures.

don't rise wil,334 posts in 35 days most  are looking for reactions from fellow posters the rest are just s*it.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 7:25pm
I always preferred Scott to Parkes for us.

Not a slight on Parkes, just thought Scott had a better passing game and was a little bit ahead in a few other areas as well.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:47pm

And last season?
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

don't rise wil,334 posts in 35 days most  are looking for reactions from fellow posters the rest are just s*it.

If that's the level you're stooping to, go f yourself Thumbs Up
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

I always preferred Scott to Parkes for us.

Not a slight on Parkes, just thought Scott had a better passing game and was a little bit ahead in a few other areas as well.

Agreed. Wish he'd never left in the first place. But we are where we are.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:44am

LOLLOLClap
Calon_Coch2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calon_Coch2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 8:56am
I agree, it would be great to have Scott back where he belongs. A great role model for the boys coming through the system. 
Calon_Coch2
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 5:09pm
Cracking natural rugby player who also had the respect of the team. No knock on ken but Scott and Barclay were my captains for us. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

And last season?

You comment was in the preset tense... ‘ he’s hardly playing...

You are just wrong.

Edited by Wil Chips - 25 January 2020 at 5:16pm
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:14pm

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

And last season?

You comment was in the preset tense... ‘ he’s hardly playing...

You are just wrong.

Why do you keep insisting on trying to tell me what I believe?

He hardly played rugby since he left the Scarlets. That's not up for debate. For Wales or his club team.

The point isn't about whether or not he's playing, whether or not he's fit right now, in this moment etc. It's whether his body can hold up to the stresses and strains of pro rugby on a consistent enough basis to make him a worthwhile signing. Given it looks more than just a major injury, or a persistent niggle/area (like Jake Ball's shoulder) that just needs managing, I'm asking that question in good faith and with sympathy for him. But if you want to miss the point to """win""" internet points just to tell me I'm """wrong""", go for it.

Come on...
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Cracking natural rugby player who also had the respect of the team. No knock on ken but Scott and Barclay were my captains for us. 

Agree with that. Bit loss last season was the sense of leadership in the team. Can't overlook how Beirne led with his actions on the field, same as Sanjay. Huge loss of physical and mental leadership in the team since the title win.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
  Share Topic