Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

England based Welsh players.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

CVC will push for a b&I league, will push for PPV rugby (certainly no more free to air games ) and will imo look to get either japan or SA into an extended 6 nations

That is just my guess though

Interesting points. Perhaps if the Scots keep pushing for Independence we could cut them adrift with Italy & replace them with Japan & S. Africa. WinkWinkLOL
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

CVC will push for a b&I league, will push for PPV rugby (certainly no more free to air games ) and will imo look to get either japan or SA into an extended 6 nations

That is just my guess though

thats already the case. Only in Wales I believe we still show, although limited, a pro league. Everything is either on Sky, BT or Premier - all ppv/subsription. not much to push there.

Even Amazon Prime coming in to sport now testing the water on boxing day when they showed ALL boxing day Prem football fixtures.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:45am
I just think there's too many balls to juggle for a B&I league.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

it would also IMO make a European Cup pointless. i cant see them wanting one...UNLESS a global league is created. Super Rugby North and Super Rugby South with playoffs to be North v South - similar to Rugby League World Club Championship. 

For me, first steps will be Anglo Welsh. Irish wont go for B&I as control will be out of their hands. If that takes off, CVC will look to grow. whether that will be a new tournament that may be more lucrative than the european cup...who knows.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

it would also IMO make a European Cup pointless. i cant see them wanting one...UNLESS a global league is created. Super Rugby North and Super Rugby South with playoffs to be North v South - similar to Rugby League World Club Championship. 

For me, first steps will be Anglo Welsh. Irish wont go for B&I as control will be out of their hands. If that takes off, CVC will look to grow. whether that will be a new tournament that may be more lucrative than the european cup...who knows.

Can't agree about the European cups - they must get very big crowds and viewing figures.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Can't agree about the European cups - they must get very big crowds and viewing figures.
Yes they do...but if a league was made where Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English, Italians was made...only the French are out of it. so the league is like the european cup minus the french. is there a point in having both?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 1:25pm

Yes they do...but if a league was made where Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English, Italians was made...only the French are out of it. so the league is like the european cup minus the french. is there a point in having both?

You seem to be contradicting yourself - re-read what you said about the Irish.

In any case, I don't see how a league featuring all the nations you mention could work - there would be too many games. 

Plus, I can't see anyone deliberately withdrawing from a tournament that permits games against teams such as Racing 92, Clermont, Toulouse and Toulon.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 1:36pm

In any case, I don't see how a league featuring all the nations you mention could work - there would be too many games. 

Plus, I can't see anyone deliberately withdrawing from a tournament that permits games against teams such as Racing 92, Clermont, Toulouse and Toulon.

One system which would work would be to someway replicate how the NFL works. You have your divison of 4 local teams (so the 4 welsh teams). then the rest of your fixtures are a schedule of other teams in the league. That way you don't have to play them all. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

One system which would work would be to someway replicate how the NFL works. You have your divison of 4 local teams (so the 4 welsh teams). then the rest of your fixtures are a schedule of other teams in the league. That way you don't have to play them all. 

That's true, but we had a big song and dance when the pro-14 switched to two conferences, so I'm sure that would face even more opposition! (I was OK with it, BTW.)

My other point will stand regardless - do we (Scarlets), and the supporters of other clubs really want to ditch fixtures with the huge French clubs, and the atmosphere at those games?

I don't, for one.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 3:54pm
If the Irish don't fancy a British & Irish league what are they going to do? 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

That's true, but we had a big song and dance when the pro-14 switched to two conferences, so I'm sure that would face even more opposition! (I was OK with it, BTW.)

My other point will stand regardless - do we (Scarlets), and the supporters of other clubs really want to ditch fixtures with the huge French clubs, and the atmosphere at those games?

I don't, for one.
Add me to that as well
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic