Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Italy thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales v Italy thread
    Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:01pm

Wales: 15. Leigh Halfpenny (85 Caps), 14. Johnny McNicholl (*Uncapped), 13. George North (91 Caps), 12. Hadleigh Parkes (25 Caps), 11. Josh Adams (21 Caps), 10. Dan Biggar (79 Caps), 9. Tomos Williams (16 Caps), 1. Wyn Jones (22 Caps), 2. Ken Owens (73 Caps), 3. Dillon Lewis (22 Caps), 4. Jake Ball (42 Caps), 5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (134 Caps), 6. Aaron Wainwright (18 Caps), 7. Justin Tipuric (72 Caps), 8. Taulupe Faletau (72 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Ryan Elias (9 Caps), 17. Rob Evans (36 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (6 Caps), 19. Cory Hill (24 Caps), 20. Ross Moriarty (41 Caps), 21. Rhys Webb (31 Caps), 22. Jarrod Evans (3 Caps), 23. Nick Tompkins (*Uncapped)​.

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:06pm
Well I have to say that is about as underwhelming a selection as I could have possibly imagined. Shades of Pivac's selections in his final months with the Scarlets. Of course it won't make a huge difference this Saturday but that team will struggle in Dublin. Jonny, George, Hadleigh, Dillon & Webb have no right to be in the team in my humble opinion. Oh well so much for a new beginning. Cry
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:11pm
Have to agree there GPR, I feel a bit flat now.

I kind of get Webb being on the bench as I don't think he will feature in any other games so it's a chance for Wayne to see Tomos.

Should have gone Williams & Tompkins in the centre.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:11pm
Looks as close to full strength as it can be 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Based on past performances?? The 2 centres are horrifically out of form.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

and no LRZ :(Angry How is webb in that 23?
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:17pm
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

and no LRZ :(Angry How is webb in that 23?
On paper I meant, On form i’m inclined to agree. Rhys Webb hardly played. I honestly would have put Rhodri Williams ahead of him atm, him and Sam Davies are a decent half back pairing.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Gareth Davies is injured apparently https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1222855639929622528

Thanks for that - I was mystified by Cawdor's omission. Given that he's had a knock, it makes sense to start Tomos W and ease Webb back into things if/when he comes off the bench.

As for the other selections - I'd have liked to see Rees-Z have a game, and Tompkins as a starter - for many years, I thought North could potentially move to 13, but in fact have now more doubts about it than when he was younger. He has the size and pace, but not so sure about his distribution or his defence. I'd also have liked to see something of WillGriff John, but maybe the others trained better, or are simply more up to speed with the calls and patterns..

The line-out seems a bit short of options - I'd have liked to see Shingler in the mix. As it is, looks like AWJ or Tips will be jumping for the most part.

Anyway - congratulations to all Scarlets selected, especially Johnny Mc. who wins his first (official) cap.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 1:35pm
Feels like a 'safe' selection to me, injuries have contributed to narrowing the options - new cap in McNicholl & experimenting with North at 13 with Tompkins ready to get some time at centre are the biggest risks, everything else looks pretty safe, and an awesome looking back row, accepting that Faletau may need to get back up to speed.

Can't blame Pivac really, he wants to make sure he wins his first competitive match & create momentum for the tougher 6Ns games - LR-Z will get his chance, and I'm sure the coaches will shuffle the pack once they're in a comfortable position in the game. Bonus point win has to be the goal, mind.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:01pm
The players selected look familiar and safe but picking North in an unfamiliar position when he's hardly winning many accolades in his regular position, looks a big gamble to me. Some, expect Pivac to play "in the Scarlet way" ie spreading the ball quickly to the wing through slick passing, offloading and players coming into the line creating overlaps. I doubt even an on-form North has the hands, sharpness and subtlety to do this. Perhaps he's there to create crash ball space and off-load to McNicholl. There's a possibility that will work against Italy, but I doubt it will work against stronger sides in which case it will be counterproductive for our long term success.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:03pm
It is comical that you have a centre that English fans are gutted has opted to play for Wales in Tompkins, being left out of the starting line up in favour of an out of form wing who has next to no experience at centre. Pathetic.

This team really is as someone else said, as uninspiring as it gets.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:46pm
Honestly I dont like this selection, specially in the backs but Franco Smith does better with Canna at 12...
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:55pm
The team is near the one I would have selected, with only Tompkins in for North & Shingler in for Wainwright. Cawdor would also have been in but injured. 

I listen to a WOL on line this lunchtime on Facebook, and it was suggested that the new English players have had little time with the squad as they had to go back to their clubs, in reality on Wednesday night, and not back until the following Monday. they have never trained with the squad, and probably not knowing many of them I do think that it is a valued reason, especially when learning new systems, calls. WOL suggested that they only had around 5 sessions. 

I think there are very few alternatives at centre, Williams has had around 60 mins rugby in 12/15 months, Watkin is injured, so it is difficult.

When more players get fit, it will be interesting to see how the team pans out at the end of the campaign.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The players selected look familiar and safe but picking North in an unfamiliar position when he's hardly winning many accolades in his regular position, looks a big gamble to me. Some, expect Pivac to play "in the Scarlet way" ie spreading the ball quickly to the wing through slick passing, offloading and players coming into the line creating overlaps. I doubt even an on-form North has the hands, sharpness and subtlety to do this. Perhaps he's there to create crash ball space and off-load to McNicholl. There's a possibility that will work against Italy, but I doubt it will work against stronger sides in which case it will be counterproductive for our long term success.

It's a boring selection, based on past not current form

Parkes and North as a 12 and 13 is limited, neither offer a kicking game and neither are great handlers of the ball

if we don't give LRZ a run in this game he probably won't figure until the ai games and I don't see why we didn't cap wgj even if from the bench

Also in the long run how many of this team will be here come next world cup?

Odds are hpenny jonny mac  north parkes biggar webb ken awj tips and toby f won't be. I don't say ditch em all but we should have experimented more. I'd have had LRZ and Tompkins in team and given WGJ  a start

If Gatland picked this team we'd be slating him on here.  I don't think Pivac has what it takes to be wales coach tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 30 January 2020 at 3:01pm
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 2:57pm

And one of them's out of form as a winger.  North doesn't have any form as a 13.  Looks to me as though Pivac's playing safe because a defeat at home to Italy would kill him as Wales coach before he gets started.  Hope I'm wrong about that, because it's a terrible attitude. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic