Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Italy thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:06pm
Where is this new attacking verve going to come from? I am already looking forward to seeing the Ireland selection when Liam, Watkin & Cawdor should be fit. If Dillon Lewis is a better scrummager than WGJ I am a dutchman. 
Sponsored Links

solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:34pm
Ironic that on the day Pivac picks North in the centre, Ioan Cunningham is quoted in 'The Times' that 'At the Scarlets he had a great eye for players in their best positions....' 

Edited by solva - 30 January 2020 at 3:36pm
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:36pm
People are shooting Pivac down before he has even had a chance. Yet there is more debutants involved in the squad than under Gatland, by necessity rather than preference but still.

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment, this is however a competitive fixture and i’m going to save my judgement until after the game. I do think that this side will comfortably defeat Italy and I hope i‘m right. 

Edited by EJPT - 30 January 2020 at 3:37pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Ironic that on the day Pivac picks North in the centre, Ioan Cunningham is quoted in 'The Times' that 'At the Scarlets he had a great eye for players in their best positions....' 
Confused parkes at 10 springs to mind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

People are shooting Pivac down before he has even had a chance. Yet there is more debutants involved in the squad than under Gatland, by necessity rather than preference but still.

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment, this is however a competitive fixture and i’m going to save my judgement until after the game. I do think that this side will comfortably defeat Italy and I hope i‘m right. 

tbh his selections have bordered on the bizarre for the last 12 months

we will win Saturday but this is not a team that instils me with confidence going forward
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

we will win Saturday but this is not a team that instils me with confidence going forward

Last year he seemed to get into the Gatland mindset of just always picking the team that in his mind was his best players, no matter what form. I'm hoping that isn't the case with him at Wales.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

it's not a team that makes you want to watch the game,someone like zammitt would have added some excitement and have fans wanting to see what all the fuss is about,i really don't know how bad north has to play to be dropped.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:19pm

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment .... 

sure....but see earlier thread - the pool draw for 2023 is this November so seedings depend on this year's form.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:21pm
Agreed, North was poor at the world cup but on his day he is unstoppable and a competent defender. The Ospreys are so bad atm it does not bode well with him in the centre. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

It’s 4 years to the world cup there is plenty of time to experiment .... 

sure....but see earlier thread - the pool draw for 2023 is this November so seedings depend on this year's form.
I don’t see that as relevant, you have to beat who is in front of you, thats the only thing you can control. Trying to anticipate who will be good in four years time is difficult. Trying to land in a ‘safer’ qualification isn’t that easy to plan out. South Africa got new zealand in the world cup they won it, England had Argentina and France (the billed that the group of death) they came second, they were the two hardest groups. No one thought Japan would top the group. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Wales: 15. Leigh Halfpenny (85 Caps), 14. Johnny McNicholl (*Uncapped), 13. George North (91 Caps), 12. Hadleigh Parkes (25 Caps), 11. Josh Adams (21 Caps), 10. Dan Biggar (79 Caps), 9. Tomos Williams (16 Caps), 1. Wyn Jones (22 Caps), 2. Ken Owens (73 Caps), 3. Dillon Lewis (22 Caps), 4. Jake Ball (42 Caps), 5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (134 Caps), 6. Aaron Wainwright (18 Caps), 7. Justin Tipuric (72 Caps), 8. Taulupe Faletau (72 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Ryan Elias (9 Caps), 17. Rob Evans (36 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (6 Caps), 19. Cory Hill (24 Caps), 20. Ross Moriarty (41 Caps), 21. Rhys Webb (31 Caps), 22. Jarrod Evans (3 Caps), 23. Nick Tompkins (*Uncapped)​.

Id like to see a distributor like henson at 12 but no such player seems to be available atm
I find it hard to argue with nearly all of this selection
hapenny nailed on , liam out
Johnny mac class player, experienced big strong hard working etc gets the nod over the gloucester wonder kid for now
North 13 , he has the size and pace etc Maybe this is finally a chance to get him on the ball more, he went well at 13 one summer I think it was down under...hes had 5 caps there and several run outs for ospreys there too...well watkin out, it was north or tompkin, tompin has never played test rugby and will get a cap off the bench so ok.
12 parkes. out of form but there is no real alternative atm ...owen williams? parkes has proved himself a big match player, who can forget him chasing back stockdale in the grand slam game and scoring the winning try
11 adams on fire
10 biggar nailed on
9 cawdor out so tom followed by webb seems fine
8 taulpue world class
7 tips world class
6 wainwright superb
5 awj no comment needed
4 ball a cert
3 the most worrying position with no francis no carre and samson in the abyss...lewis and brown will be targeted
2 ken
1 wyn

reps
elias nailed on
brown I like his workrate
rob evs top prop
cory hill big fan mobile hard working versatile
moriarty good impact sub
webb better than aled
jarod offers some variety pace skills
tompkins will get a go

injured liam watkin cawdor carre will come back into the mix for ireland
foxy patchell francis all long termers sadly

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 6:08pm
Roy, I think Carre's a loosehead but I would also have liked to see Willgriff John at least on the bench.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Roy, I think Carre's a loosehead but I would also have liked to see Willgriff John at least on the bench.
Good point...Hes a big lad for a loosey , can he switch sides

Edited by roy munster - 30 January 2020 at 7:55pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 8:19pm
North at 13 may give him a new lease of life and will probably see him having more ball and possibly running through some gaps 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 8:50pm
The main thing I saw in that team announcement is how much of a disadvantage it is for a player to be based in England. The lack of training and preparation time does seem to have killed off a few players since Pivac as a new coach is going to go more on what he sees in training rather than any previous history / form. There being only four England based players in the match day 23 speaks volume (one truly world class player, our first choice fly half, and a scrum half and a centre being our only remaining options) on how much Pivac has taken that into account.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:26am
If availability is such a problem then why pick them in the squad? I, of course, look forward to seeing the game but this really was his chance to get to look at a few players like LRZ, WGJ & Rowlands at International level. Will he really have the bottle to throw them in against France or England if things go horribly wrong in Dublin?

I share other forum contributors thoughts about Pivac & selection - it has gone all to hell over the past 12 months. A 4 try bonus point win is an absolute must for Saturday anything else will be failure & no end of plenty of things to work on, glad to get a win under our belts nonsense will hide that fact. 

I fully expect this team to do just that but regret the lack of boldness in selection. Trying to justify not selecting LRZ on lack of training time is a cop out. Yes he reported to camp with a knock but played 80 minutes on the weekend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic