Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Italy thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 9:17am

Pivac :“But unfortunately he came into camp with an injury and couldn’t train much last week, I think he had the one run. Then, of course, being an exile, he had to go home.

“He hasn’t had the opportunities that Johnny McNicholl and Josh Adams have. It’s counted against him, the injury and the unavailability.

“It’s just been too short a time for him.”

Why can’t the external I know best  “ sticky beaks” just accept this ?  I despair sometimes 🤨 

Edited by reesytheexile - 31 January 2020 at 9:19am
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:20am
GPR-I agree with you to be a certain degree, but it does seem a consistent approach by all the Welsh Coaches--Gatland, Howley & now Pivac that not being in Wales is a reason for non selection.

We must all remember that International rugby is so different from club and regional rugby, how many new players get selected for their clubs after 4 training sessions, not many, regardless of their club form.

Why select them, I feel it may be part political:-

A-Showing Wales are interested in the players, and maybe stopping them playing for another country.
B-Demonstrates to them the advantage home players have
C-Selling the Welsh regions to them.

In WOL this morning Pivac stated that he and his team have looked for around 18 months at Welsh qualified players, no doubt as part of a strategic approach agreed by his employers--WRU.

In short they have to shine in training and I'm sure they will all have a cap by the end of 2020
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:57am
North is going to have his hands full against good opposition down the 13 channel. Defensively awkward position to play with people hitting the ball at speed against you or hitting angles. This will be a bid test for him this tournament. Hope his experience brings him through but for me he can get turned easily when defending.? If we’re on top though he’ll be an extra weapon attack.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Pivac :“But unfortunately he came into camp with an injury and couldn’t train much last week, I think he had the one run. Then, of course, being an exile, he had to go home.

“He hasn’t had the opportunities that Johnny McNicholl and Josh Adams have. It’s counted against him, the injury and the unavailability.

Why can’t the external I know best  “ sticky beaks” just accept this ?  I despair sometimes 🤨 

ha ha give over we are all entitled to our views fella. As for north and mcnicholl over lrz and tomkins v blAnd safety first selections .  Pivac selections over last 12 months have been poor imo this keeps the run going
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

ha ha give over we are all entitled to our views fella. As for north and mcnicholl over lrz and tomkins v blAnd safety first selections .  Pivac selections over last 12 months have been poor imo this keeps the run going
 Indeed RR it’s all about opinions  👍 Indeed  my own sticky beak is certainly hovering  re North, as I don’t know how it will go with him at centre but , as for LRZ I do take the reasons from coaches as being justifiable. Plenty of time to phase him in imo. We shall soon find out! 

Edited by reesytheexile - 31 January 2020 at 11:38am
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If availability is such a problem then why pick them in the squad? I, of course, look forward to seeing the game but this really was his chance to get to look at a few players like LRZ, WGJ & Rowlands at International level. Will he really have the bottle to throw them in against France or England if things go horribly wrong in Dublin?

I share other forum contributors thoughts about Pivac & selection - it has gone all to hell over the past 12 months. A 4 try bonus point win is an absolute must for Saturday anything else will be failure & no end of plenty of things to work on, glad to get a win under our belts nonsense will hide that fact. 

I fully expect this team to do just that but regret the lack of boldness in selection. Trying to justify not selecting LRZ on lack of training time is a cop out. Yes he reported to camp with a knock but played 80 minutes on the weekend. 
Yes he played 80 mins, but he was caught out a few times defensively and in my opinion needs more time with Wales squad before giving him game time.
Keep the faith
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:05pm

Indeed RR it’s all about opinions  👍 Indeed  my own sticky beak is certainly hovering  re North, as I don’t know how it will go with him at centre but , as for LRZ I do take the reasons from coaches as being justifiable. Plenty of time to phase him in imo. We shall soon find out! 
I think the only way zammitt will feature in the 6 nations is if our other wingers get injured.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I think the only way zammitt will feature in the 6 nations is if our other wingers get injured.

Possibly - or he may get a shot at Scotland, depending on how results and form have gone by then.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:01pm

Sticky beaks - thats a belter. Well this sticky beak still thinks Pivac has copped out. As for LRZ he may well get to play in this 6 nation before the end of the tournament - he could be invited into the England camp by fast Eddie. As for how long it takes to bring players into a cohesive group - this week would have been plenty of time if they were really convinced. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:07pm

Sticky beaks - thats a belter. Well this sticky beak still thinks Pivac has copped out. As for LRZ he may well get to play in this 6 nation before the end of the tournament - he could be invited into the England camp by fast Eddie. As for how long it takes to bring players into a cohesive group - this week would have been plenty of time if they were really convinced. 
LRZ isn’t English qualified 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Thought he'd lived there for 3 years - apologies if incorrect. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Thought he'd lived there for 3 years - apologies if incorrect. 

Listed as having played for Hartpury College from 2017... month not known.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:15pm
Just on my way back from a London Welsh Supporters Club fund raising lunch at Richmond.

Great ambiance, vg quality and quantity of food. Entertaining and enlightening Q&A with Cai Griffiths and Steven Shingler.

Of relevance to this topic is that LW always have a coach travelling to the home internationals. Only three coaches get to enter the ring of steel in Cardiff on these match days. 

One for each team and the LW coach.

For those wondering why, it is because they hire the City Hall for great food and drink, guaranteed seats to eat, drink and chat pre and post match.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:54pm
The match day band and choir coaches also gain access i think? 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:56pm
Tomorrow is about Pivac of course, but also whether letting Edwards go presents a fall off in our defence ( which has been the cornerstone of our play for a while).
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:59pm

The match day band and choir coaches also gain access i think? 
Sounds logical.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic