Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2020 Six Nations Talking Points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Have a 6 or 7 nations second division
Get some tv money behind it
Winner plays the bottom side in 6 nations over 2 legs
Winner goes into 6 nations division 1

13 Georgia
16 Spain
18 Romania
20 Russia
22 Portugal
27 Belgium
28 Germany
Bottom side plays the next  best ranked european team over 2 legs to get into 6 nations division 2

It's a difficoult situations, rugby world development is a little bit blocked, cause of if we talk about Italy, we are the worst of tier 1 teams, but surely the better of tier 2 and result showed it in the years...maybe an other test match this time in Georgia could be show something else, but in 10 matches between Italy ang Georgia, azzurri will win 7..
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 10:32am
Italy are way ahead of Georgia.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Italy are way ahead of Georgia.

If they played tomorrow I wouldn't be sure they are way ahead...
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 11:22am
No TV organisation is going to pay big money for a tournament in which the best game features Italy and Georgia. It’ll have to be a gradual build. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 11:38am
Italy haven't won a game in the competition since 2015, in 20 years they've finished bottom 14 times.

I can't see any positive trends in terms of progression when you look at points scored, points conceded, wins etc. so no matter what positives there are at the 20's/18's levels or at Treviso/Zebre it's hard not to question what value they're adding to the 6 nations, or whether them being in the 6 nations has moved them forward.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 11:38am
Japan would be a good addition would bring in a fortune in revenue to with sponsors and tv deals. Could even base them in say london or barcelona
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Japan would be a good addition would bring in a fortune in revenue to with sponsors and tv deals. Could even base them in say london or barcelona
I like this idea or a touring side that joins the six nations every few years or so.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 12:20pm
L'Équipe are reporting the potential of it becoming the 7, or even 8, Nations with the inclusion of Japan and South Africa. 
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Le-japon-et-l-afrique-du-sud-candidats-au-tournoi-des-six-nations/1105276
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

L'Équipe are reporting the potential of it becoming the 7, or even 8, Nations with the inclusion of Japan and South Africa. 

7 or 8 nations would be too much for me.

It would mean less player time for their region/club.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

7 or 8 nations would be too much for me.

It would mean less player time for their region/club.

Agree thats more games than a world cup for most teams anyhow. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 1:53pm
6N comments first:

Ireland were poor against Scotland, apart from the defence. They have some injury worries at prop - where Wales struggled. I predicted on another forum that Wales would win their home games, but lose away in Ireland and England - but after that first weekend, I'm having second thoughts. The two teams to come out of that weekend with momentum are Wales and France. So...

I have changed my mind about Ireland v Wales - I really think that, with a more or less settled team and some confidence, Wales should win this one. If the boys don't make stupid mistakes, of course! (sanjay is still out, BTW: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51367911)... so Halfpenny at 15 and my preference would be Tompkins at 13, North at 14 and Johnny Mac to cover the back 3 on the bench). 

Scotland v England - I'm going to take a punt on Scotland here - they should have got at least a draw v Ireland, and at home that'll lift them. England seem to have lost the plot, a bit... no doubt they'll be the pundits' favourites (again) but maybe this is the year when the Scottish worm (or spider) turns...

France should win comfortably v Italy, at home - it'll be interesting to see if they play with the same intensity as against England, or if they relax a bit... 

As for the future - what makes the 6N a great tournament is the fact that it's relatively easy to travel to away matches. The atmosphere in a stadium where the away team has significant support is not something you get in the Tri-nations series, as far as I know - distance and cost militate against that - so, if you want 3 matches per weekend (as opposed to one team 'sitting out' a weekend) I think we need to carry on with the Italians. Their U-20 team were much stronger than Wales this year - they simply have to find a way to bring these players through to senior level.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 3:33pm
If NZ and Japan join, you are only NZ and Australia away from having a yearly world cup.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 3:56pm
italy bring crowds cash passion stadium and the most beautiful country and city in the world
Their club sides are strong as is their youth rugby they just need a better test coaching set up
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 7:50am
What is it with the English 6 nations camp. Firstly we have Eddie shooting his mouth off & winding up the French now we have Lewis Ludlam saying we hate the Scots and they hate us. What sort of language is that for professional athletes? The whole attitude and demeanour of this squad looks to be way off what is required for a successful group - where is the humility and respect often preached by Saracens. Something is not right in that camp and it is badly in need of leadership. A bad result on Saturday, which lets face it, is on the cards & I think we may see the end of Eddie. 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What is it with the English 6 nations camp. Firstly we have Eddie shooting his mouth off & winding up the French now we have Lewis Ludlam saying we hate the Scots and they hate us. What sort of language is that for professional athletes? The whole attitude and demeanour of this squad looks to be way off what is required for a successful group - where is the humility and respect often preached by Saracens. Something is not right in that camp and it is badly in need of leadership. A bad result on Saturday, which lets face it, is on the cards & I think we may see the end of Eddie. 

To be fair they are only giving as good as they get. Ryan Wilson was a right load at the players awards a couple years ago shouting "bollocks" every time an England players name was called out. Ultimate $hithousery but its great. John Barclay was on the rugby pod yesterday he was saying he is glad there is a bit of niggle between the two teams as it builds the rivalry. I am actually more excited for this match Saturday as Scotland have retained the last 2 Calcutta Cups, Murrayfield will be bouncing.  
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

To be fair they are only giving as good as they get. Ryan Wilson was a right load at the players awards a couple years ago shouting "bollocks" every time an England players name was called out. Ultimate $hithousery but its great. John Barclay was on the rugby pod yesterday he was saying he is glad there is a bit of niggle between the two teams as it builds the rivalry. I am actually more excited for this match Saturday as Scotland have retained the last 2 Calcutta Cups, Murrayfield will be bouncing.  

Rivalry in one thing & Wilson is a classic case but language used is extremely important. Ferocity is better than brutality;no love lost is better than hate. Fine lines but huge margins in my opinion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic