Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2020 Six Nations Talking Points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Cheika was reasonable I thought, good to have a international head coach giving his perspective. Compare that with Wilkinson and O’driscoll to be honest they didn’t really add anything I haven’t heard 100 times before from ex-players.

Enjoyed Cheika's commentary, as you say refreshing change, him and Foxy offered some genuine insights.
Sponsored Links

scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 3:20pm
If England brought the U20 players who have dominated their age in the WC and 6N through and we’re able to get them into the clubs they might have dominated at senior level. But the fact is the Gallagher prem is now almost like football and they employ quick fix scenarios by buying in success (there are some exceptions but not many) this would give a large consistent pool of players as it is instead of 12 potential 9’s say they have at a push 3 decent ones the same goes for most positions. The pluses are good club rugby to be fair the minus is a cash rich union but an ever diminishing player pool as opposed to Wales who have a thin wallet but with the current policy an ever increasing player pool.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:47am
I am a little confused. Subject - WillGriff John. Did I not hear Pivac explain that he was carrying a shoulder knock and could not train much last week so was not considered? If so then can someone explain why he played for Sale last night?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 9:02am
France v Italy was a decent game - plenty of good rugby played by both teams. Impressive things about the French team were the carrying of their starting front rowers who were everywhere; Duponte & Serin are two excellent 9's; their back row is big and effective & they have pace out wide. What is not so great is the goal kicking; their bench front row are poor scrummagers & discipline is still dodgy. 

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

France v Italy was a decent game - plenty of good rugby played by both teams. Impressive things about the French team were the carrying of their starting front rowers who were everywhere; Duponte & Serin are two excellent 9's; their back row is big and effective & they have pace out wide. What is not so great is the goal kicking; their bench front row are poor scrummagers & discipline is still dodgy. 

I enjoyed that game, fair play to Italy too for coming back into it aswell following last week.

1-15 it's certainly a very good French team, their hooker carried a hell of a lot too.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I enjoyed that game, fair play to Italy too for coming back into it aswell following last week.

1-15 it's certainly a very good French team, their hooker carried a hell of a lot too.

Yes all 3 front rowers starting were everywhere. The comparison to the Welsh front row is very informative. I am afraid that the days of being an excellent scrummager & keeping your place are gone. In fact the French forwards from 1-8 were carrying machines as to be fair were Negri, Polledri & their South African 2nd row. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 2:43pm
See Farrell is making a real statement when compared with Schmidt. He has already released 13 players back to their provinces for the pro 14 weekend. Hope Wayne follows his lead - we should be seeing Rob Evans & Aaron. Ryan won't be back as I think he is pushing very hard to start and of course Dee is still not fit. Would be wonderful if Liam also needed a game but that is just wishful thinking. I can also see Watkin, Webb, Seb, Lake & Basham getting released. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 3:26pm

A good game with plenty of entertainment - the difference between Wales v Italy and France v Italy makes me think that Wales are still favourites in Cardiff, despite the poor Dublin performance. 

Indeed, I think now - as I did before the season started - that it's going to be very hard for any team to win away except v Italy or Scotland. I fancy France to beat Ireland in Paris, but have a sneaking suspicion that the one exception to my 'home winners' point may be Ireland in Twickenham, unless England try to do something a bit more imaginative than just bullying the Irish - which won't work, IMO.

We'll see - that's the fun of it!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 4:58pm
Maybe France eased-off after getting the bonus point. I think they'll be up for it for the whole 80 minutes against us, as they were against the Saeson.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 5:22pm
france "gassed out" vs England now vs Italy . if Wales can keep up with them until the hour mark we should kick on and win the game

However I do worry about our forwards being big or strong enough to hold theirs though and if fit penaud and vakatawa could shred our current defence

If france win this the gs is theirs and I think they will get into an early lead and hold of a welsh comeback by 3 to to 5 points

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

france "gassed out" vs England now vs Italy . if Wales can keep up with them until the hour mark we should kick on and win the game

However I do worry about our forwards being big or strong enough to hold theirs though and if fit penaud and vakatawa could shred our current defence

If france win this the gs is theirs and I think they will get into an early lead and hold of a welsh comeback by 3 to to 5 points

Vakatawa is injured ATM - not sure if he'll be back for Wales. Penaud is also top class, though Rattez has filled in well - but he got hurt, too, last week. No idea when Penaud is due to recover. 

As for the forwards - I don't worry too much there. The France bench front row are nothing special as far as I can see. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Vakatawa is injured ATM - not sure if he'll be back for Wales. Penaud is also top class, though Rattez has filled in well - but he got hurt, too, last week. No idea when Penaud is due to recover. 

As for the forwards - I don't worry too much there. The France bench front row are nothing special as far as I can see. 

RR1972's concern which I share is that France may well be out of sight by 60 minutes. If we defend as narrow against them they will cut us apart whether Penaud or Vakatawa are there or not. We have to deny them quick ball for starters and match their set piece which the pack selected last Saturday are not capable of doing in my opinion. To compound matters Pivac bottled out of selecting most of the new faces against Italy so has no idea whether WGJ, Rowlands & LRZ are an improvement on what we've got. Shades of Pivac's achilles heel with us rearing its head again. 

The French back row are big athletes who interplay with Duponte at a level we can only dream of; if we can't get some dominance up front we could be toast. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 3:10pm

RR1972's concern which I share is that France may well be out of sight by 60 minutes. If we defend as narrow against them they will cut us apart whether Penaud or Vakatawa are there or not. We have to deny them quick ball for starters and match their set piece which the pack selected last Saturday are not capable of doing in my opinion. To compound matters Pivac bottled out of selecting most of the new faces against Italy so has no idea whether WGJ, Rowlands & LRZ are an improvement on what we've got. Shades of Pivac's achilles heel with us rearing its head again. 

The French back row are big athletes who interplay with Duponte at a level we can only dream of; if we can't get some dominance up front we could be toast. 
WGJ was injured for that game and LRZ had barely trained with the team so Pivac decided against selecting him. As for Rowlands my interpretation is that he’s there as a ‘have a look while he’s training’ type of player - something Eddie Jones loves - and is therefore not even under consideration for France.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

WGJ was injured for that game and LRZ had barely trained with the team so Pivac decided against selecting him. As for Rowlands my interpretation is that he’s there as a ‘have a look while he’s training’ type of player - something Eddie Jones loves - and is therefore not even under consideration for France.

Yes apparently WGJ was injured for the Ireland game but miraculously played the day before for Sale. Have a look while training - he's 28 for goodness sake. Either he is worthy of a cap or have a look at some other younger players. Rowlands is big - 6'8" & over 19 stone & intelligent according to Pivac & is the type of front 5 forward we are looking for again according to Wayne. So why was he not given a chance. Somebody needs to convince me that LRZ, even after 1 training session, could not have performed as well if not better than North or Jonny have. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 3:41pm
Owen Williams out of 6 nations with hamstring tear. That leaves Jarrod as the only current fit 10. Big test about to come for the 60 cap rule. Obvious call up would, of course, be Priestland. Who will they pick - Sam Davies I guess. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic