Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales Thread (& teams)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

weather is lousy which means we will probably have to play a tighter game

who is best under the high ball and in defence jonny mac or north?

also I can see Williams  getting the nod at 9 due to his better kicking game

the pack really have to front up Saturday,i think we need to pick our biggest most physical set of forwards

so for me I'd look at a starting 8 of

rob / wyn jones ken wgj
ball awj
morairty tips toby f

carre elias brown hill wainwright  on bench

wyn jones seems to be conceding a lot of pens lately so maybe give rob a start?

Yes forecast is horrible. Good luck to the boys on Friday's ferries!!!! Agree with your forward selection specially a bench of Carre, Ryan & Brown who will carry hard. Hill is a clever player and Wainwright doesn't have a reverse gear. Its going to be an arm wrestle compounded by the weather.

I hope Tompkins play 13 and for me North is better than Jonny defensively so with conditions meaning even more kicking I would start him at 14 keeping that shirt warm for Liam. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

weather is lousy which means we will probably have to play a tighter game

who is best under the high ball and in defence jonny mac or north?

also I can see Williams  getting the nod at 9 due to his better kicking game

the pack really have to front up Saturday,i think we need to pick our biggest most physical set of forwards

so for me I'd look at a starting 8 of

rob / wyn jones ken wgj
ball awj
morairty tips toby f

carre elias brown hill wainwright  on bench

wyn jones seems to be conceding a lot of pens lately so maybe give rob a start?

Yes forecast is horrible. Good luck to the boys on Friday's ferries!!!! Agree with your forward selection specially a bench of Carre, Ryan & Brown who will carry hard. Hill is a clever player and Wainwright doesn't have a reverse gear. Its going to be an arm wrestle compounded by the weather.

I hope Tompkins play 13 and for me North is better than Jonny defensively so with conditions meaning even more kicking I would start him at 14 keeping that shirt warm for Liam. 

North may be a better tackler, but surely Jonny is more likely to catch those bombs on a wet and windy day? However, Jonny covers the back 3 from the bench, so it may be the best place for him.

WillGriff starts for me, if fit. I'd definitely start Tompkins.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 3:52pm
taine basham called up to 6 nations squad. playing very well, but josh must be gutted.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

taine basham called up to 6 nations squad. playing very well, but josh must be gutted.

With no player being released from the Welsh camp I think it will be to hold the tackle bags more than anything, glad they've left Macleod well alone.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

With no player being released from the Welsh camp I think it will be to hold the tackle bags more than anything, glad they've left Macleod well alone.
personally think its due to injury - but possibly not a long term one.
We know Navidi is out of the 6N so they were a backrower down anyway then theres Dee just come back to fitness so not trained fully with the squad until yesterday - may not be fit enough to take part v Ireland - which is probably why Lake is heading to Dublin as travelling reserve.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 10:55pm

basham and lake call ups are with an eye to future 6 nations i guess. I like josh v good player but if wales wanted a back rower to step in for sat he would be behind the likes of young and griffiths
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 11:23pm

basham and lake call ups are with an eye to future 6 nations i guess. I like josh v good player but if wales wanted a back rower to step in for sat he would be behind the likes of young and griffiths

Yes, nice bit of future planning to get these young boys into a Wales squad experience and playing a part in training games etc  and to be generally sussed out .
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 7:02am
Wink

Edited by roy munster - 06 February 2020 at 11:46am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 7:43am

Little off topic RR1972 but Ioan Lloyd selected to play 15 against Ireland 20's. Roderick still on bench. Apparently Lam had asked Welsh coaches to not play Ioan against Italy as he had had a heavy workload. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Little off topic RR1972 but Ioan Lloyd selected to play 15 against Ireland 20's. Roderick still on bench. Apparently Lam had asked Welsh coaches to not play Ioan against Italy as he had had a heavy workload. 

Yes Ive seen that, why don't we play nott and Roderick seems odd to me

Wales  under 20 need a big step up from their pack on Friday or we are looking at a 20 pointer
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:02pm

15. Leigh Halfpenny (86 Caps)
14. George North (92 Caps)
13. Nick Tompkins (1 Cap)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (26 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (22 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (80 Caps)
9. Tomos Williams (17 Caps)
1. Wyn Jones (23 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (74 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (23 Caps)
4. Jake Ball (43 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (135 Caps)
6. Aaron Wainwright (19 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (73 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (73 Caps)

Replacements:
16. Ryan Elias (10 Caps)
17. Rhys Carre (6 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (7 Caps)
19. Adam Beard (20 Caps)
20. Ross Moriarty (42 Caps)
21. Gareth Davies (51 Caps)
22. Owen Williams (3 Caps)
23. Johnny McNicholl (1 Cap)​

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:02pm
Hmmmm Parkes to 10 if something happens to Biggar?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

owen Williams covers 10, is hill injured??
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:09pm

Do you know, I read it as Owen Watkin EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed oooops
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:10pm

Yep picked up a leg injury in the week.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:12pm
Owen Williams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic