Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales Thread (& teams)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:23pm
I worry about our front row as Wyn seems to be giving away an excessive number of penalties or free kicks and Dillon seems bit weak as well even v the Italian team. Line outs also a worry with Devin Toner coming on in last 35 minutes. He is a right nuisance. No room for the best  line out option in Shings 
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:28pm
jarod dropped?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

jarod dropped?

Yup, Owen gives & I quote a bit more cover.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:50pm
do worry for our scrum and a bit about our lineout. think it might have been better to start leon brown at 3. Dillon lewis scrimmaging is nothing to write home about, will griffjohn would have been my 1st choice tight head, more power and bulk.
healy will have a field day with lewis
the lineout is another area of concern, they have a very thorough system and will attack ours. wainwright was our main winner of ball last week, but I am sure they will mark him heavily which will mean more for awj to do. we have gone away from using tipuric as a lineout forward, would have had shingle there somewhere.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

jarod dropped?

Yup, Owen gives & I quote a bit more cover.

surprised me that did
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:44pm
Not too many surprises - this is what Pivac said:

"Pivac said Wales were keen to avoid making unnecessary changes.

"No, we wanted to keep it reasonably consistent. Overall we got what we wanted out of the Italy - five points and there was some good play there and some parts of our game need to be looked at, which we've done this week," he added."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51396350

I think Picking Tompkins, shifting North to wing and using McNicholl to cover the back 3 off the bench makes perfect sense.

Haven't seen Owen Williams for a long time, so no idea if he's a better bet than Jarrod E to cover 10, but I suppose he can cover 12 too if needed.

I'd have picked WillGriff J at 3, but maybe he's still borderline - he had a knock last week. In general, I thought the scrums were poorly reffed last week, and am not too worried. Carre has more bulk than Rob, but he can consider himself unlucky. Hill injured, so Beard to the bench - could be useful to counter Toner.

I'd also have liked to see Cawdor start, to blitz Sexton in what are predicted to be poor weather conditions - we'll see if anyone else is picked to carry out that role.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:50pm
Again I am not too pleased with selection. Would have had Cawdor in from the word go & WGJ would have been my 3. Our set piece was poor last week lets not hide behind the result. Forecast weather will make it an arm wrestle and they seem better equipped to deal with it. Ireland by 10 for me. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Again I am not too pleased with selection. Would have had Cawdor in from the word go & WGJ would have been my 3. Our set piece was poor last week lets not hide behind the result. Forecast weather will make it an arm wrestle and they seem better equipped to deal with it. Ireland by 10 for me. 

Don't forget that Ireland were quite poor v Scotland, and were lucky to win.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

That is true Aber but I fear that our front row could get heavily penalised thus playing right into their hands on a day when conditions dictate that you play in the opposition half. Missing Cawdor's defensive pressing will also give Sexton an easier ride. Just think we have missed a trick. I have just read though that WGJ just isn't fit - very unfortunate timing for a guy whose durability is celebrated by Sale. I hope the boys prove me wrong - certainly won't be the first time!!!!
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 2:31pm
WGN been released back to Sale apparently, still carrying a knock.  Samson has been training with the squad this week
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 3:41pm

jarod dropped?
every time jarrod had the ball v Italy he lost it. done that a fair bit for Cardiff too.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by trident trident wrote:

WGN been released back to Sale apparently, still carrying a knock.  Samson has been training with the squad this week
was that today?
they announced yesterday that Dewi Lake and Taine Basham were now part of the squad but no player had been released from the squad.

Edited by PE SA - 06 February 2020 at 3:43pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:02pm

"No, we wanted to keep it reasonably consistent. Overall we got what we wanted out of the Italy - five points and there was some good play there and some parts of our game need to be looked at, which we've done this week," he added."

I think Picking Tompkins, shifting North to wing and using McNicholl to cover the back 3 off the bench makes perfect sense.

Haven't seen Owen Williams for a long time, so no idea if he's a better bet than Jarrod E to cover 10, but I suppose he can cover 12 too if needed.

I'd have picked WillGriff J at 3, but maybe he's still borderline - he had a knock last week. In general, I thought the scrums were poorly reffed last week, and am not too worried. Carre has more bulk than Rob, but he can consider himself unlucky. Hill injured, so Beard to the bench - could be useful to counter Toner.

I'd also have liked to see Cawdor start, to blitz Sexton in what are predicted to be poor weather conditions - we'll see if anyone else is picked to carry out that role.

Not great that he hasn't seen owen for a long time,surely someone in the growing entourage would have been to see him.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Not great that he hasn't seen owen for a long time,surely someone in the growing entourage would have been to see him.

To clarify - I am the person who hasn't seen Owen W for a long time.

I am pretty sure the Wales coaches have seen him play!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

To clarify - I am the person who hasn't seen Owen W for a long time.

I am pretty sure the Wales coaches have seen him play!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Haha! Love the idea of Wayne saying that!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:38pm

That is true Aber but I fear that our front row could get heavily penalised thus playing right into their hands on a day when conditions dictate that you play in the opposition half. Missing Cawdor's defensive pressing will also give Sexton an easier ride. Just think we have missed a trick. I have just read though that WGJ just isn't fit - very unfortunate timing for a guy whose durability is celebrated by Sale. I hope the boys prove me wrong - certainly won't be the first time!!!!

I agree about Cawdor, as I make clear in my posts.

I didn't agree with the ref's interpretations of the scrum v Italy, plus Wales have a week to work on any issues. I'd expect Humphries to be able to sort out any issues. It's a pity about WillGriff, though...

TBH, I am more concerned by the weather forecast, which should suit the Irish limited game plan, than I am by their front row.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic