Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales Thread (& teams)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Our tries were good, that's something.

Ireland were very good, outplayed us in most areas and targeted weaknesses effectively. 

We knew centre was going to be an issue. North at 13 wouldn't have made much difference to yesterday and Tompkins will learn from it.

One try was good 2nd one was consolation. Hadleigh's would have been a very good try and may well have changed the outcome even if we didn't deserve it. 19-14 with 20 minutes to go??????

No better front row judge than Graham Price is calling for WGJ to play. Why was he playing for Sale on Friday when he wasn't fit to play on Saturday??? For what its worth Price is also calling for George to be dropped - ring any bells anyone.

Graham price is a clueless idiot living in the past, pedalling his own agendas.

But, anyone would be better than Lewis and brown

I disagree. My money is on him knowing a little more about what it takes to be an International tight head than you or me. How many caps & Lions caps have you got for instance? My total = zero. 
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:48am

Ireland were very good, outplayed us in most areas and targeted weaknesses effectively. 

We knew centre was going to be an issue. North at 13 wouldn't have made much difference to yesterday and Tompkins will learn from it.

One try was good 2nd one was consolation. Hadleigh's would have been a very good try and may well have changed the outcome even if we didn't deserve it. 19-14 with 20 minutes to go??????

No better front row judge than Graham Price is calling for WGJ to play. Why was he playing for Sale on Friday when he wasn't fit to play on Saturday??? For what its worth Price is also calling for George to be dropped - ring any bells anyone.

what agenda is it wanting the best players to take the field for his country?all we needed in front of their posts was a secure scrum which lewis didn't deliver and I had hair the last time George north played well for wales.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:49am

I disagree. My money is on him knowing a little more about what it takes to be an International tight head than you or me. How many caps & Lions caps have you got for instance? My total = zero
injured in 76 as I recall gareth.WinkBig smile
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I disagree. My money is on him knowing a little more about what it takes to be an International tight head than you or me. How many caps & Lions caps have you got for instance? My total = zero
injured in 76 as I recall gareth.WinkBig smile

72 actually Nige cut short a very promising amateur career but not at tight head I would add. LOL
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 12:09pm
I remember threads like this when we lost games under Gatland. 🤦🏻‍♂️
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I remember threads like this when we lost games under Gatland. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Indeed. People are jumping on WPs back too early because of the success Garland and co had. 
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:33pm
I've already had my say about Ireland's tries - all of which could/should have been prevented.

Ireland deserved to win, though, as they were much the better team, especially as regards crossing the gain line through the forwards.

Wales could have won - undeservedly - if these things had gone in our favour:

1. Parkes getting that ball down (he had to reach one-handed, unlike Hogg last week - just bad luck)
2. The ref showing Stander a YC at the hour mark - he deserved it - instead of issuing a  'final warning'.

Fine margins - and England were really lucky to win yesterday, thanks to the Scots making something like 14 handling errors plus losing nearly all their line-outs. Just goes to show how little decisions can change things.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:39pm
We were poor but yes ireland should have had a yellow earlier. Parkes could have been given that ireland 3rd try was v dodgy and t williams gifted them the 2nd. We played too much rugby at times and missed too many tackles. Id like wgj hill moriarty and  navidi to start in pack and cawdor lrz in the backs
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 3:28pm
If fit, then surely LR-Z is a better option than GN.  I didnt hear GN name being mentioned in open play until late in the second half when he dropped a pass in his own 22.  Other than that, it was his missed tackles that were highlighted by the commentators.  He must be there on reputation alone as he hasn’t really performed as well as he can for a while now.
Even Mrs Legendinmybedroom commented that she thought that it must be in Pivacs contract that he has the play North at any cost.
I don’t believe that Pivac will make too many changes next time, although there may be some enforced changes due to injuries.  Tompkins should keep his place against France, yea he missed the tackle for Ireland’s first try and was guilty of slipping off a few tackles on Henshaw, but he wasn’t the only player to struggle to hand him yesterday.
Antietam1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antietam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 4:19pm
Ireland made a litany of errors too, especially in the line out and scrum.
Italy making your win look very good, staying in there.
badabing badabook
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 6:45pm
Lets hope foxy doesnt retire , it must be tempting with the injuries plus his windfall on the horses, theres also his burgeoning career in punditry and possibly coaching to follow...We need a few more years on the field from this phenomenal player
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:52pm
Talking about punditry, Baldwin talked well and made some interesting points today.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Talking about punditry, Baldwin talked well and made some interesting points today.

Corey? 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 8:54am
Scott.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 11:19am
North is a shadow of the player he was....he looked as if he was still playing as a centre....our play was woeful tbh...lots of excellent comments on here....I worry for Pivac because this team played as mentioned like the woeful Scarlets of last season.  Cawdor should start his speed and nuisance value in the first 20 mins shouldn't be underestimated for me...he is so bloody quick....again players should be picked on form and it's going to be a difficult 6 nations 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Everyone is missing the sleeping Elephant in the room.

What Wales are missing is Foxy who has the Brains and Nous to organise the defense when others attack. Our defense has looked woeful on pitch for both games now.

The ability of someone to read a game and position the guys around him is what is missing.
Yes, good point.

It's one thing being able to front up in the tight or when a team is attacking from 5 metres but it's another thing entirely to be able to snuff out an attack or re-adjust when the other team have broken out and broken through the first line of defense.

That's where "The Fox" is unrivaled anywhere in the world. I remember BOD doing a TV segment after Foxy had dethroned him from his Lions spot and even he had to admit that as well as other things, the real skill that set Foxy apart from other 13's in World rugby (including Conrad Smith) was his ability to read a game and re adjust when all was going "pear shaped".

Wales were defending today too narrow and that's something that Foxy would have spotted and dealt with.

As well as being devastating going forward he has that uncanny ability to make sure that both Josh Adams and George North have their asses covered when under assault.
Scott Williams is just as good at reading the game defensively and organising the line for it, a huge reason why once he left we started leaving in tries all over the place at the scarlets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic