Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Edinburgh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Ok we have some idea of availability apart from of course any returnees from Wales. I think we'll have Rob & Aaron maximum available so my line up is as follows :-

15. AOB 14. Baldwin 13. Fonotia 12. Steff 11. Steff 10. Dan 9. Hardy
1. Rob 2. Taylor Davies 3. Samson 4. Sam 5. Tex 6. Aaron 7. Josh 8. Uzair

16. Marc 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Rawlins 20. Dan Davis 21. Blacker 22. Asquith 23. Tom Prydie. 

Alternatively to combat predicted weather & Cockerill's tactics a 6/2 split may be considered with Cummins or Kennedy replacing Asquith. 
Thats a hell of an international window side. Clap

As for the weather - have we had a dry home game yet this season? My Scott of the Antartic Poncho has had a good airing this season so far.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

How come 20 years after the Principality Stadium was built it remains the only covered rugby or football ground on this rainy, windy and cold island of ours?? Australia has loads and they arguably don't need them covered!

I know they cost more but the benefits of selling them as concert venues etc etc + the greater guarantee of a good game. Just think how good the Scotland v England game could have been if it had been played under a roof - I suspect Scotland might have won as well then

$$$$$$$$$$
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 6:31am
A lot of rugby fans in England, Aus, NZ, SA etc. do the middle-class double bill of rugby and cricket.
The season isn’t going anywhere.
Zuma2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 7:38am
Scotland released 5 players to Edinburgh for this weekends game
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Zuma2 Zuma2 wrote:

Scotland released 5 players to Edinburgh for this weekends game

Yes thats a bit worrying. Nel, Gilcrist & Haining will really boost their pack & given the forecast could be, along with their experienced half backs, a game changer. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:08am
Will the game go ahead? will the opposition get out of Edinburgh to travel? 🤔 oh for Summer rugby 😎

Edited by reesytheexile - 12 February 2020 at 10:09am
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Wouldn't rugby likely receive a boost in popularity if it didn't run side by side with the football season?

it worked for rugby league.
its pro sport at the end of the day. entertainment. the rain and wind of winter for live rugby, or potential sunny evenings.
I know which id prefer. north terrace suntan be outstanding. I doubt we will see it happening though.

I'm not sure it has worked for rugby league. It may have caused an initial boost I don't know, but the Super League teams are really struggling with attendances compared to years gone by (especially when you take off the crowds for their Big Weekend events - where all matches take place in one stadium over a weekend). Now that might not have anything to do with the time of year they play but I'm not sure there's any evidence to show that their moving their season has had any long-term benefit on crowd-size. I'd have thought it would have helped with entertainment but every time I've watched a bit of league in the past couple of years all I've seen if 4 charges by one of the bigger players and then a speculative up and under.

But, as per my covered stadium post, dry pitches of course help games to be free-flowing - but I'm not at all sure moving the season would be beneficial taking everything into account. Besides it's tipped it down in Llanelli from September to February this year (and that's not been that unusual) and no doubt we have freezing weather on the way once the rain and winds stop - so we'd need our season to be a very short one to really help!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:59pm
I can see why Summer rugby might seem appealing, but IMO rugby is one of the few things I look forward to in the dark winter months, whereas there are many more options in summer. Of course, it's unfortunate that the weather can at times be so bad as to deter supporters from travelling - in half-decent weather, I'll come down for Edinburgh, but TBH it is not looking promising ATM.

I'm not sure at all how things could be improved - possibly, an 'early season' taking in leagues, followed by a significant winter break, and then 'part 2' with European and test rugby, maybe? I'd certainly prefer it if we weren't moving back and forwards between different competitions, however you structure the season. 

As others have pointed out, though, even if we went along that route, 'good weather' can never be guaranteed in this part of the world!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:50pm
I would much rather a Friday night game in June than one in nov, it's a no  brainer, better weather, better games, better handling and may I say it, less scrums

Edited by shocker - 12 February 2020 at 3:50pm
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 3:39pm
Rob Evans and Aaron Shingler released for Edinburgh game. Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Originally posted by Brad Mooar Brad Mooar wrote:

There has been great energy built during the week and you can see it from the conversations that are being had off the field and how we have trained on it.

This is a really exciting period for us, two home games (Edinburgh & Southern Kings) then Munster away.

It is a really appetising game welcoming Edinburgh in a top-of-the-table clash and Dennis the Menace (Storm Dennis) is coming as well, we can’t wait.

Also released:
Ospreys Owen Watkin, Adam Beard, Dewi Lake
Cardiff Seb Davies
Dragons Taine Basham

Edited by NobbySosban - 13 February 2020 at 3:59pm
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 4:12pm
Its a big win to get Rob Evs back. Hopefully our Hookers have been practising in the wind 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 5:25pm
Drags game called off for sat . Good chance this will be too 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Wow!
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 5:49pm

We'll be on i reckon as long as Edinburgh can travel. Think they are worried Dave Parade will blow over!!

Edited by diego6754 - 13 February 2020 at 5:49pm
Bys Meri Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bys Meri Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 6:04pm

Met Office are prediciting gusts of 47mph in Newport during the Dragons game, but 57mph in Llanelli during ours! (rising to 60mph in the evening). But our stadium is more enclosed and the playing surface is better so we'll see. 

The weather this season will go down in history as the worse ever for us.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 7:39pm

I thought it was the Premiership Newport not Region? Anyway Rodney Parade is an open and old ground not a Bowl so we have a better chance as to the Ospreys but nonetheless I am not confident it will go ahead. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic