Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v France teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

oh deary me....lets get this straight..we sacked the best defence coach in the world (or rather made him an offer he couldnt refuse) then he comes back to haunt us. what a surprise..jon humphries scrum coach what has he proved? The ref was diabolical much of the time their 9 had hands on ours umpteen times whilst the ball is in the scrum....lots of one up carrying and the backs well where are these new ideas of stephen jones?
where on earth was our support runner for the tompkins breakway late on? tips and co dont seem to be doing much at the breakdown either. not the end of the world but we should have seen some of these problems coming

I lost count the number of times we conceded over 29/30 points under Edwards defence, that last six Nations our defence was on point, possibly down to the other teams not turning up. 

Time to move on, barring a silly intercept pass we'd have won that.
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

oh deary me....lets get this straight..we sacked the best defence coach in the world (or rather made him an offer he couldnt refuse) then he comes back to haunt us. what a surprise..jon humphries scrum coach what has he proved? The ref was diabolical much of the time their 9 had hands on ours umpteen times whilst the ball is in the scrum....lots of one up carrying and the backs well where are these new ideas of stephen jones?
where on earth was our support runner for the tompkins breakway late on? tips and co dont seem to be doing much at the breakdown either. not the end of the world but we should have seen some of these problems coming

I lost count the number of times we conceded over 29/30 points under Edwards defence, that last six Nations our defence was on point, possibly down to the other teams not turning up. 

Your right. Under Gatland we played 151 games, and on 41 occadions we shipped 25 points or more. 29% of games. Wikipidia stats.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Your right. Under Gatland we played 151 games, and on 41 occadions we shipped 25 points or more. 29% of games. Wikipidia stats.

That's pretty impressive.

Of course, I'm not saying he's a bad coach before I get jumped on. Just saying he wasn't perfect either even though the spangly cowgirl hat brigade think otherwise.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 11:51pm
Fine margins. Two errors by us and two France tries ! 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 11:53pm
My concern is that we have lost 2 games in a row in one 6 nations championship for the first time in many many years and have also conceded 7 tries in those 2 games.   Under Edwards we would expect to only concede 7 tries a season not in half a season.
Some of today’s play reminds me of the Scarlets, plenty of possession but white line fever amongst the forwards and a reluctance from the scrum half move the ball away from the forwards when the time is right to do so.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 12:13am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

welcome to Wayne's world of aimless kicking and stevo's world of zero attacking ideas.
did you not watch the Scarlets attack under Stephen?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 12:58am
This 6 nations was always likely to be a right off. If Pivac really does want to alter the style of play then you can't expect a few training sessions and for it to be working full flow. That being said we should still probably have won today. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

welcome to Wayne's world of aimless kicking and stevo's world of zero attacking ideas.
did you not watch the Scarlets attack under Stephen?
last year? steff I admire your loyalty to certain players and ex players but the more time that passes the more the pro 12 winning season looks like us taking teams by surprise and now that the opposition has caught on we look ordinary.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

France had a small number of lucky breaks- the ball bouncing nicely, passes that could be intercepted, and French misdemeanours unseen or not punished. But France had the skill and pace to take advantage. Their defence also put far more pressure on us than we did on them by shooting up and closing space down quickly (Shaun Edwards?)
Mogwen's not very happy about Parkes performance, but I would be delighted if he played with today's commitment for us.
Again Cawdor didn't appear to do much wrong, but he has this tendency to hold the ball at the base of the scrum while he decides what to do. This only leaves the opposition waiting like a coiled spring to pounce on whoever receives it. Tomos Williams on the other hand is continually moving and choosing his options on the hoof depending on the movement of his own and opposition players. What a player you would have if you could combine the good points of these two 9s!!

Fine margins indeed. I too thought Parkes was our best back by a long way. An exciting game but lets be very honest there was only one winner from the off. The French were streets ahead in terms of playing rugby. They looked alert, full of ideas and well coached. We looked full of huff and puff and pretty clueless. Look at the scrums against 14 just before half time - we had no idea what to do - just like the Scarlets against Edinburgh. 

Pivac is slowly losing the plot and blaming the ref for mistakes - I agreed by the way with the ref that it was not a clear penalty try. As for Pivac's claim that Bamba was boring in the studio panel had already shown that it was in fact Rob who was boring in and was rightly penalised. For all the stats which may show various pluses for Wales the glaring fact was that from 1-15 the French were way ahead of us as rugby players - more flair, intelligence, awareness of space, pace etc. Our team had nearly 900 caps & it showed - we were slow, ponderous and totally lacking any spark. 
Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 9:03am
I do wish Pivac wouldn't get overly involved in blaming refs and others for us losing. Even if the ref did make some wrong decisions it firstly doesn't look good, and secondly distracts from the fact that we still made too many mistakes and couldn't answer the French style of play on the day. The same with Ireland.

As has been mentioned already we should treat this early period with Pivac as a chance to bed his style of play in, bring in the next generation of players and move forward looking towards the next RWC. Easier said than done of course, yet these things always take time. On paper at least we weren't far behind France and it was certainly not a rout - we could have won the game.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 9:44am
Tomkins coming to us, alongside Sanjay, is an attractive prospect.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

My concern is that we have lost 2 games in a row in one 6 nations championship for the first time in many many years and have also conceded 7 tries in those 2 games.   Under Edwards we would expect to only concede 7 tries a season not in half a season.
Some of today’s play reminds me of the Scarlets, plenty of possession but white line fever amongst the forwards and a reluctance from the scrum half move the ball away from the forwards when the time is right to do so.

We've conceded 7 tries in 3 games, which is the same number as France have conceded in 3 games that they have played. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

not to france at home we didn’t!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

he is a v good attacker but his defence looks suspect, needs to improve on that, is he usually  a 12 or 13?  Two soft trys killed us halfpenny mr reliable was v poor in first half.  Cawdor kicking was poor and he took too long to get the ball away at times giving france time to reset in defence.  We look like giving trys every time some one runs at us. We are one from 3 and 2 of those were at home, can’t see us beating england at twickers either .  Not only that but we don’t seem to hAve a clear idea of our best team either. Depressing 6 nAtions 

Edited by RR1972 - 23 February 2020 at 10:21am
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 10:14am
So is Tompkins def coming to us? 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I agree, I think he's got an attacking spark.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic