Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 8:53am
These are indeed gloomy times - like many of you, I enjoy the rare opportunity for a good laugh - the goats in Llandudno raised the spirits, and if you haven't seen it, here is another amusing story!

Let's try to mix the downside with a few lighter moments, to keep our spirits up.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

These are indeed gloomy times - like many of you, I enjoy the rare opportunity for a good laugh - the goats in Llandudno raised the spirits, and if you haven't seen it, here is another amusing story!

Let's try to mix the downside with a few lighter moments, to keep our spirits up.

I did see that aber! Physicists eh? 

My favourite quotes:

“I accidentally invented a necklace that buzzes continuously unless you move your hand close to your face,” he said.

“As I was pulling downwards to try and remove the magnets, they clipped on to each other and I lost my grip. And those two magnets ended up in my left nostril while the other one was in my right. At this point I ran out of magnets.”
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Grim but not unexpected reading that 20% of small businesses could run out of money:

And even if the Government props them up, the nation will kop the bill after. The Tories never will increase tax on the rich, either, so you know what will happen. 

I also see social unrest in Italy due to lack of income and food shortages is now rising. 
.... and thats over the next 4 weeks!!!

What sort of state are we going to be in by June?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Grim but not unexpected reading that 20% of small businesses could run out of money:

And even if the Government props them up, the nation will kop the bill after. The Tories never will increase tax on the rich, either, so you know what will happen. 

I also see social unrest in Italy due to lack of income and food shortages is now rising. 

I'm lucky as my wife works but I can't do any more work now as the merchants are shut,i won't get any money now until june which is a long way off.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

I know, I know. This is a massive concern although we have to get through the next few weeks first. I genuinely think if we get testing done and also a decent % will have had the virus already, some form of normality could resume. China is finding a very high % are actually asymptomatic and is currently trying to stop a second wave due to this.

Ych, I'm going to read that story about the goats again.

Edited by dr_martinov - 01 April 2020 at 9:28am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

so many unanswered and unasked questions. These are not medical questions these are questions aimed at the government.

Why do Germany have 4 times as many hospital beds as the nhs, why too do we have fewer doctors and nurses per head that almost every country in europe?  why is most of our nhs staff still untested? that is surely essential? not only untested but theyve worked for weeks without the necessary protective equipment? Incidentally have these tests been available to exclusive groups of people before nhs staff and the public? 143000 people have allegedly been tested so far. which is way behind other g8 nations.. 

Why are we so short of ventillators too, we are now trying to rush them all through last minute? Thegovt keep telling us the economy is strong we are the 5th richest nation in the world allegedly so why is the nhs less well funded than most european nations?

Why have we kept passenger flights coming into uk not just for expats but for other passengers too? why are passengers still allowed to travel on the euro train? why did our govt mention herd immunity? why did we close our pubs clubs schools stadiums events weeks after ireland? irish infections are way way below ours..why arent these questions asked by our journalists? 

We're converting stadiums, training barns as hospitals, are there not suitable buildings around the country to be used as hospitals? especially as millions of people are off work?

With regard to stadia being converted I think you will find Roy that they lend themselves better to conversion. They are effectively large open sheds so can be fitted out quickly and efficiently with power/oxygen/computer lines all trunked in selectively. Other buildings will be a series of offices which would take a lot more conversion.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:23pm
We have not invested in our public services at all (I would say that as an ex LA person) but we have not. Departments are down to bare bones ok in normal circumstances, but these are not. 

Who does the government of the day turn to to work all hours in extremely difficult conditions, without the correct equipment (PPE) public servants, it is a disgrace.

Another issue is that some government departments are still following processes such as tendering for equipment. Sod this agree a fair price and if they supply and try for more money....pay the agreed price and name & shame them.

This Catastrophe should be totally evaluated and OLD rules changed, who is working on the 3 temp hospitals in Carmarthenshire local companies with local employees spending their money locally, that is what we need. They are also well respected and good companies by the way.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We have not invested in our public services at all (I would say that as an ex LA person) but we have not. Departments are down to bare bones ok in normal circumstances, but these are not. 

Who does the government of the day turn to to work all hours in extremely difficult conditions, without the correct equipment (PPE) public servants, it is a disgrace.

Another issue is that some government departments are still following processes such as tendering for equipment. Sod this agree a fair price and if they supply and try for more money....pay the agreed price and name & shame them.

This Catastrophe should be totally evaluated and OLD rules changed, who is working on the 3 temp hospitals in Carmarthenshire local companies with local employees spending their money locally, that is what we need. They are also well respected and good companies by the way.

agree with all that....Im amazed too there are not more suitable buildings other than selwyn samuel centre and the scarlets barn that can be used as hospitals in this emergency..especially as so many are empty for months..is ty elwyn being used? mynydd mawr? llandovery hospital? werndale private hospital ?  the social security building? the old cinema? ffwrnes theatre...tinopolis etc Theres a load of empty units in eastgate etc

Ive read today that the UK government is struggling to get enough testing kits but a few british firms are producing tens of thousands but selling them overseas...the government is now coming down heavy on these firms to supply to UK only. This isnt on the bbc news but daily mail etc The mail has infinitely more information on this crisis minute by minute

Meanwhile the welsh government remains invisible at this moment of crisis???

I did read the welsh government had been bidding against the UK government for testing kits. now we have a UK only approach to avoid this competition which simply pushes up prices and causes delays. The lack of clarity on what is england only or england and wales or UK only has been chaotic from day 1. Never been a huge fan of devolution, certainly not the way it is now. A bit of a hotch potch halfway house

Edited by roy munster - 01 April 2020 at 1:18pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:08pm

This could be a force for good in some odd ways, the environment is certainly getting a break

People are now actually seeing how vital nhs and carers are (lets hope they are paid accordingly)

Also people for the first time in years are seeing that community spirit and a sense of being a good neighbour is still important and hopefully we will see a kinder more caring society in years to come

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:10pm

[QUOTE=Dai38]

agree with all that....Im amazed too there are not more suitable buildings other than selwyn samuel centre and the scarlets barn that can be used as hospitals in this emergency..especially as so many are empty for months..is ty elwyn being used? mynydd mawr? llandovery hospital? werndale private hospital ?  the social security building? the old cinema? ffwrnes theatre...tinopolis etc Theres a load of empty units in eastgate etc

Ive read today that the UK government is struggling to get enough testing kits but a few british firms are producing tens of thousands but selling them overseas...the government is now coming down heavy on these firms to supply to UK only. This isnt on the bbc news but daily mail etc The mail has infinitely more information on this crisis minute by minute

Id send the police or better still the  armed forces  in to seize any testing kits and prevent any exporting of any of them

The govt should pay a fair price but no kits or ventilators should be allowed to leave the uk

Edited by RR1972 - 01 April 2020 at 1:10pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:17pm

Labour's manifesto promised to increase spending on the NHS and also public services. It's been creaking for ages under the Conservatives, even to the point that doctors were on strike. Yet who did the public vote for? 

And then you have Trump - people voted in a soundbyte celebrity President who promised to get rid of what little state healthcare they had. And he did.

Edited by dr_martinov - 01 April 2020 at 1:34pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:37pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52117814
These surgeries need to be tightly regulated too
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

This could be a force for good in some odd ways, the environment is certainly getting a break

People are now actually seeing how vital nhs and carers are (lets hope they are paid accordingly)

Also people for the first time in years are seeing that community spirit and a sense of being a good neighbour is still important and hopefully we will see a kinder more caring society in years to come

I'm trying to take a similar view as this. NHS and other medical workers are absolute heroes, plus we're also seeing just how vital supermarket staff and delivery drivers are to keeping the country running! They're also putting themselves at risk on a daily basis. And I've already felt neighbours have got each others' backs more during this. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 1:46pm

Labour's manifesto promised to increase spending on the NHS and also public services. It's been creaking for ages under the Conservatives, even to the point that doctors were on strike. Yet who did the public vote for? 

And then you have Trump - people voted in a soundbyte celebrity President who promised to get rid of what little state healthcare they had. And he did.

Promising and delivering are not always the same thing.
But theres no doubt that this catastrophe has really rammed home to everyone how precious the nhs is and how vastly we need to increase funding it. But also the efficiency savings needed, the tightening up on waste and mismanagement, over-burocracy middle managers etc. The nhs for example spent over £100 million on cosmetic surgery in 2014. we must draw the line and ban that trivial nonsense from the nhs.

The trouble we have in wales is there is always that danger we will be overlooked or forgotten to a degree by the UK government especially on health. as health is devolved and the welsh public are caught between a tory government and a welsh labour government trying to score poins against each other

The fact that the UK have left themselves so vulnerable to relying on foreign nations to possibly supply us vast numbers of surplus ventilators, beds , testing kits, protective equipment etc is a national disgrace. I am staggered by the shortfall for example between the equipment and staffing in nhs hospitals compared to germany? Its just disgusting. If we get through this , this lot in charge need to be hauled over the coals. 

Edited by roy munster - 01 April 2020 at 1:49pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 2:29pm
I will not listen to anything Trump says; he has already said so many untrue or misleading things that his words have zero credibility for me. I struggle to see how anyone can take anything he says seriously due to this. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 2:36pm
the tories make me sick,a few years ago when a nurses pay rise was voted down they all clapped and they oversaw a doctors strike and given the way the nhs is putting itself on the frontline that must have been a hard thing for doctors to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 305>
  Share Topic