Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

trident is a difficult one , no nation with a nuke will ever be invaded but no one is likely to invade us anyway ditch that put that into  conventional forces   the nhs and care budget it's  a game changer

a pal of mine is a nurse in the royal Glamorgan they are using paper masks, some nurses have no masks

like sending an army to war with no guns, disgraceful

all our  drs and nurses deserve a medal for this

As for the WA idea is fine in principle, it is just staffed and run by second raters who cannot run an economy , who in that set up has ever been a successful business man or held any position of power outside of politics? jobs for the boys and girls lot if I ever saw it

the calibre of wa cabinet members is not of sufficient quality to secure wales future until that changes I won't be in favour of any extra powers for the likes of drakeford

It's also incredibly Cardiff centric to the detriment of the rest of wales

I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while. But bbc headlines today says still ONLY 2000 out of over 750,000 nhs staff have had the virus test. The failure to tool up the nhs with the protective gear and without the virus test is unforgivable. Yet the govt claim they are testing 10,000 people a day? well who the heck are they testing if not the nhs? without the tests and ppe...they are basically lambs to the slaughter...catching it spreading it getting ill. If we get through this the investigation into it will make the iraq war inquiry look like childsplay

One can only hope and pray they do ramp up the tests and correct equipment urgently. supposedly millions of ppe is curently in the system enroute to nhs and care homes etc maybe the public needs some too? The testing through seems up in the air still as well as more ventillators...Boris needs to move heaven and earth to make sure this gets done NOW. Explore every avenue, spend whatever it costs...Developing building our own equipment, getting back on board with the EU bulk buying (dont give us that nonsense about lost emails lost letters) send a crack team of people all over the world scouring for this equipment. Get your testing done enmasse...either by post or use drive throughs etc

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 3:23pm
As for WAG its hard to know if theyre doing a good job or not and hard to know where their duties begind and where the UK governments end. Especially as the WAG dont seem to communicate enough with the welsh public. One can only hope our nhs are getting fully equipped and fully tested in Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 4:44pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 5:00pm
Not the greatest fan of Drakeford but to be fair he seems to be doing an ok job of handling this crisis - certainly better than Boris. The Welsh NHS has been testing staff for weeks and were on course to get an extra 5,000 tests a day until the UK government came in and overbid them, meaning we end up with only 4% of those tests (based on population), even though we have 8% of Covid-19 cases.
Lastly what is disastrous for public understanding in the devolved nations is the UK government and the press’ complete unwillingness to use the word ‘England’. It’s all Chief Medical Officer and the NHS when those only apply to England. If presenters and ministers were to use the word England it would then be so much easier for us to know whether either Drakeford or Boris was doing a good job and would remove a lot of the confusion that seems to exist around devolution.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 5:55pm

trident is a difficult one , no nation with a nuke will ever be invaded but no one is likely to invade us anyway ditch that put that into  conventional forces   the nhs and care budget it's  a game changer

a pal of mine is a nurse in the royal Glamorgan they are using paper masks, some nurses have no masks

As for the WA idea is fine in principle, it is just staffed and run by second raters who cannot run an economy , who in that set up has ever been a successful business man or held any position of power outside of politics? jobs for the boys and girls lot if I ever saw it

the calibre of wa cabinet members is not of sufficient quality to secure wales future until that changes I won't be in favour of any extra powers for the likes of drakeford

I get what you're saying here RR. No problem with the principle but the execution of the Welsh government is disappointing. True. The question is how do we make it better? I' m personally of the "build it" persuasion as opposed to the "knock it down" one. What was very interesting was reading how Iceland responded to covid-19. What a difference! I wish Wales could be be more like Iceland in more ways than one.. Unhappy
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Not the greatest fan of Drakeford but to be fair he seems to be doing an ok job of handling this crisis - certainly better than Boris. The Welsh NHS has been testing staff for weeks and were on course to get an extra 5,000 tests a day until the UK government came in and overbid them, meaning we end up with only 4% of those tests (based on population), even though we have 8% of Covid-19 cases.
Lastly what is disastrous for public understanding in the devolved nations is the UK government and the press’ complete unwillingness to use the word ‘England’. It’s all Chief Medical Officer and the NHS when those only apply to England. If presenters and ministers were to use the word England it would then be so much easier for us to know whether either Drakeford or Boris was doing a good job and would remove a lot of the confusion that seems to exist around devolution.

Its vague and it's ignorant and it's oh so typical
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 6:17am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

I get what you're saying here RR. No problem with the principle but the execution of the Welsh government is disappointing. True. The question is how do we make it better? I' m personally of the "build it" persuasion as opposed to the "knock it down" one. What was very interesting was reading how Iceland responded to covid-19. What a difference! I wish Wales could be be more like Iceland in more ways than one.. Unhappy

Some 6000 or so additional beds are being made available throughout wales. Which doubles bed capacity. England was an estimated 33000 extra beds last week https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-hospitals-beds-staffing-nurses-a9430851.html
overall bed numbers should be up over 50,000 across UK to around 200,000
(germany has over 500,000)
Theyve also pumped in 3 billion into social care specifically to try and free  up 15000 beds in homes
Theres approx 500,000 beds in care/nursing homes.

UK has over 20,000 retired doctors nurses coming back plus an estimated 15,000 student doctors nurses. 

750,000 volunteers signed up in England. Not sure how many in wales. people volunteer here through the websites and councils......https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52055145 It will be intriguing to see how they are used.
"The 4 main tasks are delivering medicine to vulnerable people who are self-isolating, taking patients to and from doctor's appointments, getting patients home from hospitals, and calling isolated patients to help prevent loneliness."
I wonder if they will be utilised in delivering some of the ppe equipment?

The UK govt says it has 8000 ventilators but a further 50,000 plus are on order with f1 , smiths , dysons airbus and thousands more with several other huge industrial groups. Just need to get everything fast tracked through all the safety checks. They're also seeking them all over the world. . 

Testing is now just over 10,000 per day with claims it will be up to 100,000 a day by the end of the month. The concern is lots of tests need to be done twice. Matt hancock said today 5000 nhs staff have now been tested. still only about 1%. These tests include if you have it and if youve had it before. He also said patients are the first priority for tests, then nhs workers, then key workers will be tested. Then the public.

PPE is said to be either with everyone or enroute to everyone. Inc social care. 390 million bits of equipment, which will need to be replenished so we need to scale up production on a massive scale.

These figures are still way behind Germany who seem to be way ahead of the whole world in every facet. Though numbers can be misleading, the quality of the tests and equipment is crucial. But Germany is the economic powerhouse that produces much of this equipment. Im sure we can learn a lot from how they are handling this crisis. But at least our capacity is improving significantly and hopefully our nhs and care workers etc will be tooled up, virus tested and protected ready for the task ahead.

If and when the crisis eases a bit in other countries hopefully, some equipment will become more available for those in crisis.

Stay safe , stay homeWink

Edited by roy munster - 03 April 2020 at 7:20am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

What did Iceland do? And with a population of 324,000, which is smaller than Cardiff, there are things they can do which a country of 65 million cannot quite so easily!

Sweden seems to be a strange one: they've been very laid back about it all.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 8:31am
Iceland went after the virus.  Once a person had a positive diagnosis, they contacted everyone who had been in contact with that person and quarantined them.  They acted fast and stopped the virus in it's tracks.  

Had we been in a positoin to do mass testing early on then we might have got ahead of the virus - the so called containement phase.  To be honest, I'm quite confused now over those early government announcements that we were trying to contain the virus as it flies in the face of what actually happened - which was to let it spread early doors. 

The strategy we were told was to 'contain, delay, research and mitigate'. Confused

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 03 April 2020 at 8:33am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 8:44am
Lets face it comparing how Iceland reacted to how most other countries reacted is pretty futile with the population differences. Also I find suggestions that somehow politicians are to blame for lack of equipment to be a little over the top. 

Of course when the dust settles on this crisis there will be huge lessons to be taken from results achieved by individual countries. However to suggest that Boris is guilty of not forecasting a pandemic situation by stockpiling 30,000 ventilators seems a little bizarre to me. Now the lack of ppe for frontline staff is the one area which will need investigating very thoroughly as that is the one area which should have been covered as whatever crisis management/forecasting models were used ppe for frontline medical staff would always have been required whatever the crisis. 
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Lets face it comparing how Iceland reacted to how most other countries reacted is pretty futile with the population differences. Also I find suggestions that somehow politicians are to blame for lack of equipment to be a little over the top. 

Of course when the dust settles on this crisis there will be huge lessons to be taken from results achieved by individual countries. However to suggest that Boris is guilty of not forecasting a pandemic situation by stockpiling 30,000 ventilators seems a little bizarre to me. Now the lack of ppe for frontline staff is the one area which will need investigating very thoroughly as that is the one area which should have been covered as whatever crisis management/forecasting models were used ppe for frontline medical staff would always have been required whatever the crisis. 
The point of the Iceland example is that it shows whats needed to bring the virus under some sort of control. Until we start doing community testing on a grand scale we are totally screwed, we will never bring it under control.  And community testing on a large scale isn't even on the government's plan yet.

Boris and his government have totally screwed up, there is no doubt about that; from their arrogance in not taking part in the European procurement programme to even today saying lies about the status of the UK response.  Its shambolic mun, totally shambolic.  I mean even last night Matt Hancock bungled his way through his address to the nation, at one point saying that all the PPE equipment is available in storage and that hospitals just need to ring up if they need some.  Words fail me.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 03 April 2020 at 9:15am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:31am

gareth,they knew it was coming in January and they did not prepare properly,they were letting people waltz off planes from Italy when it had taken hold there with no checks at airports which was negligent at least.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

The point of the Iceland example is that it shows whats needed to bring the virus under some sort of control. Until we start doing community testing on a grand scale we are totally screwed, we will never bring it under control.  And community testing on a large scale isn't even on the government's plan yet.

Boris and his government have totally screwed up, there is no doubt about that; from their arrogance in not taking part in the European procurement programme to even today saying lies about the status of the UK response.  Its shambolic mun, totally shambolic.  I mean even last night Matt Hancock bungled his way through his address to the nation, at one point saying that all the PPE equipment is available in storage and that hospitals just need to ring up if they need some.  Words fail me.

I understand the logic of Iceland Rob but surely the lessons should be learnt from a country like South Korea who, at least, have a population to talk of. Testing kits/facilities & ppe are the two areas that this Government & their medical professionals will face huge scrutiny over when this crisis eases and quite rightly. 

I think it is safe to say that getting Brexit done is now way down the list of issues in Boris' in tray when he gets back to No 10. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

gareth,they knew it was coming in January and they did not prepare properly,they were letting people waltz off planes from Italy when it had taken hold there with no checks at airports which was negligent at least.

I totally agree Nigel. Frankly the steps taken by most Western countries with regard to travel have baffled me from the beginning. A friend of mine for instance was allowed to fly to Tenerife and stay at a hotel a couple of miles away from the hotel in lockdown on 15th March - surely that is crazy. Look at the British people who have flown to South America a couple of weeks ago to join cruises. Surely closing your borders completely to any but returning Nationals would have been the first responses. 
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:39am

I understand the logic of Iceland Rob but surely the lessons should be learnt from a country like South Korea who, at least, have a population to talk of. Testing kits/facilities & ppe are the two areas that this Government & their medical professionals will face huge scrutiny over when this crisis eases and quite rightly. 

I think it is safe to say that getting Brexit done is now way down the list of issues in Boris' in tray when he gets back to No 10. 
Yes indeed, S. Korea is the gold standard as far as I can see. 

Testing kit, lack of PPE, and Game Plan are the big issues.  My gut feeling is that the medical/scientific advisers had the answers but the advice they gave depended on the exam question they were being asked to answer.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:45am

Yes indeed, S. Korea is the gold standard as far as I can see. 

Testing kit, lack of PPE, and Game Plan are the big issues.  My gut feeling is that the medical/scientific advisers had the answers but the advice they gave depended on the exam question they were being asked to answer.

That may well be true Rob. Whatever the case some pretty difficult questions are going to need answers eventually. If any politician is found to have overruled, in any way, solid medical/professional advice they will be toast. 

At the moment, quite correctly, all the focus is on limiting the death toll. Once that subsides countries Worldwide will be faced with a massive rebuilding of economies which could have implications for decades to come. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 305>
  Share Topic