Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 12:20am
What do we make of this chancellor sunak, considering hes only been there a few months, he seems pretty impressive thus far...Hes pumped a phenomenal amount into the economy, to consider hes thrown into the biggest pandemic and economic crash in a century hes been pretty unflappable through this crisis ...I googled him recently hes a straight a graduate oxford stanford went to goldman sachs and married the daughter of a billionaire narayan murthy. But will these massive cash injections work and are they going to the right areas.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

What do we make of this chancellor sunak, considering hes only been there a few months, he seems pretty impressive thus far...Hes pumped a phenomenal amount into the economy, to consider hes thrown into the biggest pandemic and economic crash in a century hes been pretty unflappable through this crisis ...I googled him recently hes a straight a graduate oxford stanford went to goldman sachs and married the daughter of a billionaire narayan murthy. But will these massive cash injections work and are they going to the right areas.

Yup, initial response I thought was strong. Any spend happy Chancellor is going to be popular and overall I think he's done well so far.... BUT I know the previous one Javid resigned due to interference from 10, so is Sunak a Cummings/Gove yes man? His more recent injections have been shown to sound like a lot of money but in reality will not be, plus this whole VAT decrease on hospitality and eat out bonus is an interesting one - good headlines, could be a good idea to kick-start hospitality/tourism sector which is massive in the UK, but we're still facing some pretty dire situations to many industries and concerns over when furlough ends are growing. It's an impossible situation and they at least are taking strong action and making decisions. But then we have recently had the austerity of Cameron/Osbourne and then the tight Hammond plus they are completely adverse to tax increases [on the wealthy] so my only real question is where is the money actually coming from and what state will it leave the country in?
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Anyone see the tory minister threaten the head of the armed forces that if they didn't get their house in order that they would get a visit from dominic cummings "and you won't like that"? it was on GMB this morning,on another note the covid crisis must be over as they've removed the one way arrows in the aisles in tesco.
After feedback to the manager at a store in Suffolk, they were quickly reinstated. Good example of engagement with your customers.
They've gone from the Tesco in our village as well but strangely everyone was still adhering to the one way system.  I hadn't even noticed the arrows had gone so I must have automatically memorised which way the aisles were going.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep them permanently (and the 2m squares) as I found this way of shopping to be quite relaxing.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 9:36am
Have you heard this one?

An Epidemiologist, a Virologist and a Scientist walk into a bar……….

……….No of course they didn’t. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 09 July 2020 at 9:36am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

he's excellent imo miles ahead of the rest of the cabinet including the pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm not sure it's such bad thing to have had more beds/ventilators etc than may be needed. It may have come at a cost, but I'd back that positioning.

The only person I can't overrule, but don't work for either, in my business is the Compliance officer.

With 'leadership competence' being such a metric in this crisis, I wonder if one of the takeaways would be some role like that outside of Government.

A sort of ethics regulator that ensures the truth never gets distorted or buried by a leadership group.

One of the big things that Trump has tarnished the world with , is that you can pretty much say what the hell you want, with no basis in the truth, and you are not really held to account for it when it really matters.

I'm with you on that Wil, but, Boris and his boys are at it as well. They 'massaged' the figures to get to 100,000 tests a day, backed Cummings when he was patently in the wrong, for travelling to Barnard's Castle, and secondly, it is illegal to drive if you have any reason to believe that your eyesight isn't good enough. 

I also give you Boris' £350 million pound promise on the NHS, he knew what he put on the side of the bus was wrong. Fake news.

He also falsely played the Islamophobia card during Brexit when he stated that Turkey, a mainly Muslim country, was about to join the EU. Fake news.

Secondly Wil, is the rather worrying development with regard to the Civil Service, where it seems that we are now seeing political appointments being made. 

The Civil Service should be impartial, and advise the government of the day as to what should/shouldn't be done, and what can/can't be done.

If we move away from that, we are moving towards a situation where ethics/morals go out of the window, and governments will do what they like. 

Don't forget, the government seem to have the BBC in their sights as a result of their perceived bias in their reporting during the GE. Keunssberg by the way was forced to delete a tweet when the Tories falsely claimed that a Labour activist had punched a Tory worker. Fake news ! She also re tweeted Cummings' blog with no qualification/disclaimer, leading people to believe that she was in support of his tweets.  

Finally, for now, the judiciary are also on the government's radar for deeming to find against Boris when he wrongly prorogued parliament. Do we want to follow the US' example ? 

I think not.

double post sorry

Edited by RR1972 - 09 July 2020 at 10:01am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 10:00am

Anyone see the tory minister threaten the head of the armed forces that if they didn't get their house in order that they would get a visit from dominic cummings "and you won't like that"? it was on GMB this morning,on another note the covid crisis must be over as they've removed the one way arrows in the aisles in tesco.
An incredible bit of nonsense from francois, a man who talks like he is Rambo but didn't serve in the regular forces at all and to my knowledge has not had any actual contact with enemy forces

His veiled threat that Cummins is going  to "sort out" Sir Nick a man who has led troops in action in the Balkans afghan and Iraq is laughable

The General did incredibly well to keep his cool then, frankly I would have called his bluff and asked how a govt advisor is going to sort out the head of the uk army

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Have you heard this one?

An Epidemiologist, a Virologist and a Scientist walk into a bar……….

……….No of course they didn’t. Smile

don't give up the day job rob.LOL
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

An incredible bit of nonsense from francois, a man who talks like he is Rambo but didn't serve in the regular forces at all and to my knowledge has not had any actual contact with enemy forces

His veiled threat that Cummins is going  to "sort out" Sir Nick a man who has led troops in action in the Balkans afghan and Iraq is laughable

The General did incredibly well to keep his cool then, frankly I would have called his bluff and asked how a govt advisor is going to sort out the head of the uk army

Agreed RR but my point was what sort of power does an unelected person have over other officials,and if he wields that kind of power,how and why?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 11:47am

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Agreed RR but my point was what sort of power does an unelected person have over other officials,and if he wields that kind of power,how and why?

I agree fella. it's scandalous the guys is not even elected and he can "sort out" the mod

madness
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 5:21pm
We have flown back from East Africa to Wales and are now in 14 day quarantine here.
It will be interesting to see if we are 'followed up' on.

There's a detailed declaration form to complete, but on the surface it looks to depends on the honor system a bit.

We went through passports etc without anyone asking for it, and also as we connected through Amsterdam we could have just stated that was our point of origin of the form, and so the 14 day quarantine wouldn't apply.
(Not that I would do that).

Anyway, lets see.

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 9:24pm
Chris Grayling seems certain to get the role of Chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee. That’s the Chris Grayling that reformed the Probation Service only to see reoffending significantly rise afterwards, and also the same man who spent £14 million on a ferry service with a firm which had no ferries! It really does take rewarding failure to a whole new level.

Edited by Jones2004 - 10 July 2020 at 9:24pm
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 10:31pm

We have flown back from East Africa to Wales and are now in 14 day quarantine here.

There's a detailed declaration form to complete, but on the surface it looks to depends on the honor system a bit.

We went through passports etc without anyone asking for it, and also as we connected through Amsterdam we could have just stated that was our point of origin of the form, and so the 14 day quarantine wouldn't apply.

Anyway, lets see.

Wil, if you don't mind me asking, Is the quarantine on the government and in a strictly regulated hotel or is it up to you to uphold lockdown rules etc in a place of your choosing?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 12:36am
mate of mine said a trip to asda in english town, was an absolute minefield of idiotic behaviour, barely a mask anywhere no social distancing , jam packed, in fact he said the only person with a mask removed it to take a big cough

The figures have dropped a lot, to 74 deaths a day across the UK and infections down steadily too BUT if this idiotic behaviour continues the second wave could become a tidal wave
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Anyway, lets see.

Wil, if you don't mind me asking, Is the quarantine on the government and in a strictly regulated hotel or is it up to you to uphold lockdown rules etc in a place of your choosing?

Not a problem, there isn't an option for a Govt nominated facility. So it's down to me to state on the forms where I will be for the following 14 days, contact details etc and to maintain the quarantine ( which is actually more stringent than anything that has been in place in the UK since Day 1.).
As I sad it will be interesting to see if anyone gets in contact to check my whereabouts etc.

Leave the house only for a critical need i.e. medical supplies. Family members to provide provisions, no visitors, no daily exercise allowed etc.

It's a little ironic that none of this was in play at all until June 8, and I've been on a much more rigorous lock down in Kenya for the last 130 days then the UK has had at any time...Kenya has 9,000 cases and 170 fatalities to date.

Also quite funny seeing people trying to wrap their heads around these measures whilst they are a couple of steps away from life as normal as it can be ( or already there in the case of England).

To note..regardless of the rules we would have quarantined for 14 days. Not so much because of where we come from, but from the fact that we have been on a plane.

Edited by Wil Chips - 11 July 2020 at 8:09am
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 9:26am
There’s a huge difference between what the rules say and what each individual feels comfortable doing.

Went to the fish n chip shop on the end of our nearest pub yesterday evening. Pre-ordered the food; turned up early to get some takeaway beer in our own container. As there were about 10 people in the garden, well-spaced, we had a beer in the garden while waiting for the food.

All very pleasant and all very socially distant. 

Benefits of living in the countryside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 305>
  Share Topic