Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Apparently there were long lines of people cueing for the Calais ferries last night trying to beat the midnight deadline for the 14 day quarantine for those entering the UK. Very unfortunate for those who didn't make it and only 12 weeks too late in its imposition!!

The lack of quarantine and then suddenly deciding to implement one this late into the lockdown is madness

Have they ever explained their logic on this?

I think it gives the visitors enough time to think about whether they really want to risk themselves coming to the UK.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Ian Hislop on HIGNFY took Cummings to the cleaners, don't think I've seen him so angry. I know people now view this as old news but it is still someone high up in the workings of our government (arguably the top) involved in our nation's response to this who has demonstrated to be a proven liar with utter contempt for the public.
what's your thoughts are n labour mp Barry Gardner ? Another labour mp ignoring the rules

And your view on this?

its wrong but 6 people in  garden is not 10.000 in a park? Are you really trying to compare the two?

Yes I am comparing. Your argument follows a slippery slope. 

Put simply, they both, together with the former Brexit Party MEP, Richard Tice, broke the lock down rules. They were all wrong to break the rules. 
6 people in a garden is far less likely to cause a second spike than 10.000 people crAmmed into a street. If you can’t the difference then i’m very surprised.  Put sinply  They all broke lock dowm rules so you should either condemn them all or don’t condemn any of them. It’s not a slippery slope but common sense to point out thousands of people in 1 place is more likely to lead to a second wave than 6 people in 1 place. Imo they all broke the rules and they all should be punished. The govt should either ban any more large scale public protests or lift all restrictions on public gatherings, 

I've been thinking about this last day or so and think you're right, it does come across as double-standards. I think it's because the lockdown itself is a political decision on policy made by Governments in charge - the exact regime people are protesting against - while the virus is apolitical. So breaking lockdown (a political decision) people then have different views based on the reasons for breaking it - e.g. Cummings, a Tory political adviser going on a jolly, versus anti-racism protests.

But having several thousand people in close proximity during this pandemic in the US and UK doesn't seem like a good idea for halting the spread of the virus, irrespective of the reasons they are doing it. I would agree to that. Also I said the real damage from the Cummings thing wasn't him breaking lockdown and what he did during that (in reality he could have infected a very small number of people if indeed he did keep his distance) but him and his wife lying about it and the PM plus cronies creepily covering his arse. In the UK this undermined their integrity to enforce their own lockdown - which I've said I think was half-arsed in the UK anyway - and so rioters could well be thinking "rules didn't apply to Cummings and other politicians, so why me?". They've also already seen all those people on the beach without punishment haven't they? So overall I think we are seeing a very weak Government. 

I know that will come across as true lefty twisting but I do say above it's clearly not a good idea with coronavirus going around - words I said looking at all those people on the beaches in Bournemouth the other other day, even if not on here.

fair comment. cummins does appear to untouchable, people have now taken the attitude if he can so anything he likes so can I

After  no action being taken against the blm protests we will see mass right wing protests by the edl loons

The govt really need to stamp this out now or well see thousands of people on the street, a real risk of mass public order offences and a massive risk of a second spike in covid cases

This will put all our police, all our  care workers and most of all our   drs and nurses at  more risk it's not acceptable and should not be allowed.

If Boris has any sense of leadership, hell get rid of cummins now and ban any large scale gatherings including protests for at least a few months

It doesn't look as he has the bottle to do any of that though

Cummins is just an aide he needs to go, we cannot pander to "mob rule" either no matter how valid their cause

the whole thing is a shambles

Edited by RR1972 - 08 June 2020 at 12:38pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:30pm
The 14 day quarantine is justified as being only ideal when cases are under control and decreasing.

Yep. It's retro fitted bollox.

Kenya has just extended it's air space closure for anther 30 days. Total cases new stand at 2,500 with around 80 deaths.

The care home blind spotting, and the keeping open of air travel will haunt this Govt, and rightly so.

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:41pm
why would anyone want to visit the uk at the moment anyway?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:52pm
Anyone would be mad to fly to this mad house.

The weird thing about the border and flights being closed was that from memory, not 1 journalist asked about it at those daily briefings throughout march or april ...I watched them all and cant ever recall the channel tunnel being mentioned or flights. 

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:09pm
If there isn’t another peak in the next week or so because of those ignoring rules this weekend the government are 100% lying about figures. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:37pm
Lowest daily rise in deaths since before lockdown just been announced. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

To see their family!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:35pm
Another uplifting tale amidst the pandemic...This little fella has raised £145,000 for NHS in 24 hours
Inspired by the one and only captain TomClap
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

To see their family!
sorry wil I wasn't thinking along those lines.Embarrassed
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:53pm
I know mate...couldn't resist!

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Another uplifting tale amidst the pandemic...This little fella has raised £145,000 for NHS in 24 hours

Captain Tom who had a slap in the face yesterday as thanks as people vandalised WW2 monuments on the D-Day anniversary. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Captain Tom who had a slap in the face yesterday as thanks as people vandalised WW2 monuments on the D-Day anniversary. 

Indeed and those war veterans in the care homes too, many of whom were neglected during the pandemic. And they werent allowed to have any marches or commemorations of the d day landings either. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 7:33am

Well Nigel apparently there are millions of Brits who have enough dosh to insist on their annual foreign holiday regardless of health crisis throughout the World. Its not really about people wanting to visit Britain but Brits wanting to get back home after two weeks of sun and sangria. Wil's got the right word for it - bollox!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:12pm
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 2:15pm

https://twitter.com/hypocritpiers/status/1269303377390981120/photo/1

Yeah and you can see how him posting "reckless and irresponsible" has not helped his cause. After the Cummings incident I think I posted something saying I doubt the actual action itself endangered that many - apart from his own kid in the back of the car with his poor eyesight, naturally. I think people should be a lot more realistic, avoid sensationalism and be very clear what it is they are criticising to prevent themselves getting in this mess. Cummings' incident was bad because of who he is - I know this reads as double-standards but it's not: he is the highest adviser in the government and seems to wield enormous power. He sits on the SAGE committee. But I 100% stick to my comments that it was the subsequent lack of apology and lying that is actually the bad thing with it and the thing that annoyed me so much, not the drive itself. THAT is why the protests are different in my view. But I completely take the point that you cannot say it's a good idea when there's this virus going around having that many people close together at the moment, irrespective of the reason. The virus doesn't care - that's just science. Journos (and yes the left) have put themselves in a bit of a pickle over this for having a go at politicians or top scientists so strongly for breaking lockdown haven't they?

There were warnings not to protest due to coronavirus put out, I did read the stories but they weren't front page news. It is an example of a disconnect from politicians and people, as I think a reasonable appeal to not protest just now due to CV and use other methods could have been heard. Remember all those beach pictures were first and you can argue all of this mess was caused by confused communication, a weak or "erratically enforced" lockdown shall we say (e.g. Cummings provides an example here) plus a loss of trust in politicians in general and in particular a weak leadership and a PM plus senior ministerial team who clearly don't have a clue what to do and are known to be liars (Johnson, Gove, Cummings - go on, ask the public if they believe words out of any of these three mouths).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 305>
  Share Topic