Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon/European Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Reports coming out saying Leinster will be awarded the title & European qualification will be as the league standings are now. 

Seems fair.
Good news for us I guess.

Yes, Champions Cup is where we want to be.
 It'll be a great incentive to up our game from recent performances.

I don't think there will be a champions cup next year lads

Appreciate your right to say that, but you have no substance to back up the comment.

Granted but no one has any substance to say there will be a champions cup

At the moment none of us have know either way.

I'll stick by my prediction there will be no European cup rugby next season and this seasons tournament will not be finished

I just can't see it happening if others can , that's fine be a boring place if we all agreed on everything
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:34pm
If EPC Rugby are still saying the 2019/20 competition will be finished, I’m sure they’ll be doing their utmost to make sure there will be a 2020/21 competition.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:40pm
It’s likely there will be a Champions Cup next season but in a different format and with less teams. Scarlets will be Wales’ only side in it
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:46pm
Yes there's talk of 6 pools of 3 teams with 4 games to lighten the fixture load. Pro 14 may also be reduced to around a 16 match season with home and away against your conference rivals and usual local derbies against other conference regions. 

There does appear to be a growing optimism towards planning at least. Of course that could be very short lived if relaxation of the rules doesn't have the desired effect. Very small light at the end of a huge tunnel nevertheless. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes there's talk of 6 pools of 3 teams with 4 games to lighten the fixture load. Pro 14 may also be reduced to around a 16 match season with home and away against your conference rivals and usual local derbies against other conference regions. 

There does appear to be a growing optimism towards planning at least. Of course that could be very short lived if relaxation of the rules doesn't have the desired effect. Very small light at the end of a huge tunnel nevertheless. 
If all goes well over the next few months, I can see everything falling into place other than the mass gatherings i.e. the crowds returning. I'm struggling to see how crowds can be allowd as this is what will push the infection rate back up, as we discussed in other posts.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 01 May 2020 at 2:12pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:07pm

Reports coming out saying Leinster will be awarded the title

Even though there are knockout play offs in this league?

Crazy if true - just another in the long line of incidents that prove the league is utterly corrupt and run BY the Irish, FOR the Irish. I expect the IRFU will pocket any prize money if there is any due to this.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Crazy if true - just another in the long line of incidents that prove the league is utterly corrupt and run BY the Irish, FOR the Irish. I expect the IRFU will pocket any prize money if there is any due to this.
When do you propose to finish the league?they have won 13/13 are 20 points ahead of 2nd place so I see it as the logical solution which leaves only Europe to sort out,to suggest that it's corrupt is silly,would you have said that if we were on top?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

When do you propose to finish the league?they have won 13/13 are 20 points ahead of 2nd place so I see it as the logical solution which leaves only Europe to sort out,to suggest that it's corrupt is silly,would you have said that if we were on top?

I'd rather it be null and void and based on last season again to be honest.

Do you think the Champions League will just be awarded to Barcelona because they're doing really well this year?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:32pm

Perhaps we should thank our lucky stars if this has been agreed. Having lost to Edinburgh and Munster our next match would have been away to Connacht, and coming as it did on the Friday after the Scotland match we'd probably have been short of a few of our internationals. 

Had we played Connacht, lost, and then fixtures had been cancelled, we'd have slipped to 4th and we  wouldn't be in next season's Champions Cup. PRO14 would have been represented by the Scots and the Irish. Perhaps we should be careful as to what we wish for.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:32pm
I don't see how you can award a trophy to a team when there's a knock out element involved, I'd just leave it as no winner. I think European qualification based on the league standings would be fairer than going on last seasons tables though.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 5:30pm
Let Leinster have it and us get champion's cup rugby. The outcome works for us.
There will almost certainly be a champion's cup next year if there is a TV contract for it.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Let Leinster have it and us get champion's cup rugby. The outcome works for us.
There will almost certainly be a champion's cup next year if there is a TV contract for it.
Yes, exactly my thought Waspy.  We will have come out of this quite well if we qualify on the back of current table positions. Not too worried about Leinster being crowned champions although I do understand some of the reservations being expressed. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:12pm
I thought they might have a giant, combined Champions Cup and Challenge Cup next season. That would solve arguments over who should qualify for the top competition. 
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I don't see how you can award a trophy to a team when there's a knock out element involved, I'd just leave it as no winner. I think European qualification based on the league standings would be fairer than going on last seasons tables though.

I think that'd be a solution to the current situation.
Of course I'm biased.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:14pm

I'd rather it be null and void and based on last season again to be honest.

Do you think the Champions League will just be awarded to Barcelona because they're doing really well this year?
if you null and void it we don’t make the champions cup (if there is 1)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

if you null and void it we don’t make the champions cup (if there is 1)

So be it. I'd rather rugby union be competent and us not make the champions cup - than underhand just so we qualify.

Edited by KID A - 02 May 2020 at 9:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic