Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon/European Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:17am
I will certainly take qualification for next season's Champions Cup - overall I think the squad, considering the huge upheavals experienced, deserved it. As for Leinster being declared Champions so be it - they are the outstanding team in the pro 14. It will be only a title in name and the whole Leinster squad will accept that. 

The Scarlets have re-established themselves as the No 1 team in Wales, both the Ospreys & Blues will be stronger next season and the Dragons are responding to their new coach. Cockers continues to improve Edinburgh while Glasgow are treading water a little after losing some key players with the latest - Gray leaving them now. 
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

if you null and void it we don’t make the champions cup (if there is 1)

So be it. I'd rather rugby union be competent and us not make the champions cup - than underhand just so we qualify.

It’s not as if the IRFU created this damn virus is it ! It’s an unique world pandemic and Leinster have been absolutely superb and 95 percent guaranteed winners. As such I am happy FOR THE SCARLETS  interests if this total  tournament freeze in time means we now qualify for next years European Cup. I’m not into bitterness. Even Leinster will know it’s not a proper win  having a default title We can’t drag this season’s event out. I certainly would not want to eg scrap all results to date for this season and go back to positions at the start of the season as the basis for next season’s tournament as we would be in the Challenge Cup.

Edited by reesytheexile - 02 May 2020 at 3:43pm
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

if you null and void it we don’t make the champions cup (if there is 1)

So be it. I'd rather rugby union be competent and us not make the champions cup - than underhand just so we qualify.

It’s not as if the IRFU created this damn virus is it ! It’s an unique world pandemic and Leinster have been absolutely superb and 95 percent guaranteed winners. As such I am happy FOR THE SCARLETS  interests if this total  tournament freeze in time means we now qualify for next years European Cup. I’m not into bitterness. Even Leinster will know it’s not a proper win  having a default title We can’t drag this season’s event out. I certainly would not want to eg scrap all results to date for this season and go back to positions at the start of the season as the basis for next season’s tournament as we would be in the Challenge Cup.

Bit of a dilemma for the IRFU, Leinster champions, but as things stand Connacht go in to the Challenge  Cup.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:40am

World Rugby chiefs are proposing to move the Six Nations as part of radical plans to shake up the game's sporting calendar. 

The Rugby Paper report that pushing the competition from its usual starting date of early February to later in the year - in April - in order to ease the conflict between the club and international game. 

The bold plans would also see the European club season start in December, with a source saying the proposed schedule is getting "a lot of traction with clubs in the Gallagher Premiership, the PRO14 and the Top 14".

Edited by Fscarlet - 03 May 2020 at 8:41am
Antietam1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antietam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 2:40pm
Joe Tomane to Dragons? anyone confirm, took him ages to get going at Leinster.
Always felt if Leinster wish to win an Heineken cup they need better foreign signings than him.
Nobody I know is interested in this trophy award by the way.
badabing badabook
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:02pm
Surprised the wru  sanctioning that given the lack of welsh centres we have. Wol saying season will start in dec now so that rules out any autumn games. Also saying 6 nations to be later and lions tiut maybe off No one seems to know anything

Edited by RR1972 - 03 May 2020 at 3:07pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:58am

Surprised the wru  sanctioning that given the lack of welsh centres we have. Wol saying season will start in dec now so that rules out any autumn games. Also saying 6 nations to be later and lions tiut maybe off No one seems to know anything

RR I think you will find that the move to pro 14 starting December is meant to accomodate Internationals being played in October/November & 6 nations in April/May. Lots of ideas being thrown around which is good but, of course, nothing firm can be put in place until results of partial easing of lockdowns filter through from Europe. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:12am
So when do the 3 weekends of this years european rugby get played ? Or the 9 weekends of the next  season’s european club rugby get played?  I just can’t see it tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 04 May 2020 at 8:13am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:23am

So when do the 3 weekends of this years european rugby get played ? Or the 9 weekends of the next  season’s european club rugby get played?  I just can’t see it tbh

I am struggling like you. My understanding is that the 3 weekends of this seasons European competition will be played in September. Next season will be restructured so there are 18 teams in the Champions Cup with 6 groups playing 4 games saving 2 weekends. Also I can see the pro 14 being 16 weekends not 21 i.e. playing your own conf teams home & away = 12 games plus the home & away derbies against the other conf teams giving another 4 = 16 games total. Those two changes would save 7 weekends. 
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:37am
Summer rugby Clap
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:50am
If there are groups of 4 it’s still 3 games home and Away and 3 knockout weekends. So that is still 6 weekends? Same as 3 weekends left in this years cup 2 months of european rugby plus autumn games plus the rearranged scotland game plus 6 nations. It won’t happen not enough time if we cut the lge to say 16 games thats 4 months  plus 2 knock out games. 18 weekends of rugby. Sorry just saw groups of 3 so only 4 weekends

Edited by RR1972 - 04 May 2020 at 8:52am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:58am
Also is behind locked gates rugby actually financially viable? No gate money no bar takings no corporate takings no match day takings eg programmes , merchandise food all playing and coaching staff off furlow. Plus well have to test every player medic etc every game and fund travel costs. I’m not sure broadcast rights will cover that tbh. Regions run at a loss now this is just going to make things far far worse

Edited by RR1972 - 04 May 2020 at 9:00am
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:06am
If they wanted to cut down on games next season they could have a traditional knock out comp for Europe, look something like:

Round 1 - 8 Teams from the Continental Shield with 4 going through
Round 2 - Challenge Cup teams (20) join the 4 team from round 1 with 12 teams going through
Round 3 - Champions Cup Teams (20) join the 12 teams from round 2 with 16 going through
Last 16
Quarter final
Semi final
Final

The most any team from the Pro14, Top 14 and Premiership would play would be 6 games and it would be something a bit different.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:23am
I quite like that idea Gate 12 . 
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:28am
Sounds a good one Neil for this coming season just to get a competition going with not too many games. Plenty of motivation and jeopardy as well 👍
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:41am
Just need to get a job at EPCR now, get promoted to CEO, then lobby all the unions, clubs and leagues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic