Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon/European Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by SAV SAV wrote:

Flying in to Marseille with ba 
Same
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:34am
France have now banned all gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

They are also considering restrictions on public transport.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

France have now banned all gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

They are also considering restrictions on public transport.

I have a very bad feeling that the only way this game is on,  is if it will be played behind closed doors.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:55am
I'm not sure why anyone would want to travel to that region right now tbh.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 11:44am
Better news - I understand that the SNCF will now refund rail fares for trips already booked for dates up to the end of April.

I haven't been able to find an English-language link for this yet, though.

This is a Twitter comment from the SNCF to confirm... 

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Better news - I understand that the SNCF will now refund rail fares for trips already booked for dates up to the end of April.

I haven't been able to find an English-language link for this yet, though.

This is a Twitter comment from the SNCF to confirm... 

Glad to see some sense emerging. 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 4:55pm
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 5:12pm
With all the issues around the coronavirus I honestly feel that the matches should be cancelled. The rise of known cases in Italy should be a warning for us all.

I am not one for worrying too much, and certainly not scaremongering either, just my feelings 

I was in a rugby function in Cardiff on Saturday, and was told that the NZ tour is doubtful at best, with others saying it will be off.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

With all the issues around the coronavirus I honestly feel that the matches should be cancelled. The rise of known cases in Italy should be a warning for us all.

I am not one for worrying too much, and certainly not scaremongering either, just my feelings 

I was in a rugby function in Cardiff on Saturday, and was told that the NZ tour is doubtful at best, with others saying it will be off.

I'll probably go to Wales v Scotland, given the small number of cases in Wales and not that many in Scotland either... however, I have reluctantly decided against travelling to Toulon, even if the game goes ahead - it may well still be called off, as there is a while to go yet. Toulon is not right on the Italian border, but it's not that far away, either. 

The PSG v Dortmund football match will be played behind closed doors on Wednesday, so it's not looking great for sporting events in France.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:25pm

I'll probably go to Wales v Scotland, given the small number of cases in Wales and not that many in Scotland either... however, I have reluctantly decided against travelling to Toulon, even if the game goes ahead - it may well still be called off, as there is a while to go yet. Toulon is not right on the Italian border, but it's not that far away, either. 

The PSG v Dortmund football match will be played behind closed doors on Wednesday, so it's not looking great for sporting events in France.
Just heard the French have banned sports events with crowds of over 5,000 outdoors as well as indoors. Seeing as we were taking about half that guess the game will be off unless there is miracle cure. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Just heard the French have banned sports events with crowds of over 5,000 outdoors as well as indoors. Seeing as we were taking about half that guess the game will be off unless there is miracle cure. 
If I was a betting man I’d say the game will be played behind closed doors
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

So looking at something positive- the Scarlets won’t lose any gate or bar money but Toulon will. On the other hand our fans miss out other than a possible social outing to South of France 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

So looking at something positive- the Scarlets won’t lose any gate or bar money but Toulon will. On the other hand our fans miss out other than a possible social outing to South of France 
Still going if flights are
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:30am
I cannot see this game going ahead with spectators. A day is a long time with this virus and Toulon, as someone else mentioned, is pretty close to Northern Italy. With a few weeks before the fixture things are going to get dramatically worse in UK & France before things improve.

All Scarlet supporters should take a deep breath and consider the implications to their own families, elderly relatives etc of travelling. Aber I feel you have made the only sensible decision available. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:37am

Spot on Dai - expert advice suggests that this virus will take 3 months to reach its peak and another 3 months to clear. That puts the summer tours for all European countries pretty impossible to fulfill in my eyes. 
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:36am
The French Government has been quite clear. No events of more than 1,000 people will go ahead.

European Rugby has said that it will respect such rulings, but that all games are scheduled to go ahead.

The inference is that games in France will be played with no fans in attendance.

I'm taking the financial hit and won't be travelling to Toulon.

I feel it would be irresponsible in the current climate to travel almost to the epicentre of the European outbreak,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic