Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Financing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Financing
    Posted: 15 March 2020 at 11:38pm
With the season being in the balance i’d like to see the WRU put their hands in their pockets and support the regions more so than before. 

Maybe it’s wishful thinking... but this virus will damage the good work the club and its staff have put in over the past few seasons. 

Another thought goes to our rivals. They were on the brink of collapse not so long ago, how are they going to fare with no gate receipts. 

A further point, season tickets will also take a hit in the following season(s). Should it not be played out, will the club take the hit on these offer some discount on renewal or special offer somewhere , can’t recall how many games were left to play at the parc?

And whilst some will understand there will be those who don’t and sadly that could be to the detriment of future ticket sales.
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:19am
The WRU will also be taking a hit, and every part of the game will need support.

I think we may be able to weather the storm, as long as the existing TV contracts and WRU payments are honoured.

It's going to be a testing time though, for all three private companies
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

With the season being in the balance i’d like to see the WRU put their hands in their pockets and support the regions more so than before. 

Maybe it’s wishful thinking... but this virus will damage the good work the club and its staff have put in over the past few seasons. 

Another thought goes to our rivals. They were on the brink of collapse not so long ago, how are they going to fare with no gate receipts. 

A further point, season tickets will also take a hit in the following season(s). Should it not be played out, will the club take the hit on these offer some discount on renewal or special offer somewhere , can’t recall how many games were left to play at the parc?

And whilst some will understand there will be those who don’t and sadly that could be to the detriment of future ticket sales.

Why is it right that the club takes the hit on this season’s tickets and not us? The club didn’t cause the virus. We just all write off this season’s remaining games ; be happy if we come through the pandemic unscathed and we start again with new season tickets . 

I leave the clubs to discuss other matters with the WRU. Very worrying times for the Scarlets and Welsh rugby 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 9:29am
If the season is cancelled, I dont want any refund frankly. Support the club.

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 9:36am
[QUOTE=supertaf]If the season is cancelled, I dont want any refund frankly. Support the club

[/QUOTE
Agree. Don't think any genuine fan will be looking for a refund. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 10:57am
Season ticket holder will understand and will not be after any refund

The wru should help but it also needs to help pretty much every club who is a member of the union as none of them are currently playing and all clubs at all levels will be losing out

The quickest way the wru can raise funds is by playing more test games but that option is out of the question at the moment

There is no easy way out of this and I'm sad to say but this will send some clubs to the wall

I have no idea if the tv company's have a clause where by they don't have to pay for  games that don't go ahead,

Edited by RR1972 - 16 March 2020 at 11:04am
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 3:44pm
Agree. I think all season ticket holders will have the welfare of the region at heart and not expect a refund.  However, the Scarlets could consider an an extra generous early bird offer for renewals as a thank you - and get some early cash in at the same time.
Haruki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haruki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 5:06pm
Will the WRU be in a position to help?

They have lost one home game from the 6N that would have been in the budget, plus until the competition ends they wont get any prize money which is a huge part of their annual budget.
I cant see how they can support 4 regions plus the semi pro game if their own income has taken a huge hit. We just have to hope we have enough to see ourselves through the next few months
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Agree. I think all season ticket holders will have the welfare of the region at heart and not expect a refund.  However, the Scarlets could consider an an extra generous early bird offer for renewals as a thank you - and get some early cash in at the same time.
 Totally disagree with you about an extra  discount  as all I am missing now is watching a few games of rugby and next season as a supporter I shall secure new tickets at whatever early bird rates the Scarlets offer . In fact I would expect tickets to go up to reflect the losses incurred by the club in these lost months. This would be small individually compared to what the Board founders are being asked to put in. We need the Scarlets to come through losing months of income and any lost non rugby events which may well leave gaping holes in budgets 

Edited by reesytheexile - 16 March 2020 at 5:25pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Haruki Haruki wrote:

They have lost one home game from the 6N that would have been in the budget, plus until the competition ends they wont get any prize money which is a huge part of their annual budget.
I cant see how they can support 4 regions plus the semi pro game if their own income has taken a huge hit. We just have to hope we have enough to see ourselves through the next few months
The WRU have big assets and little debt.

As the governments around the world are doing with their Quantitative Easing and Fiscal Stimuli, the WRU could ease the purse strings and increase their borrowing to get over the temporary cashflow problems. They do have that capacity.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Haruki Haruki wrote:

The WRU have big assets and little debt.

As the governments around the world are doing with their Quantitative Easing and Fiscal Stimuli, the WRU could ease the purse strings and increase their borrowing to get over the temporary cashflow problems. The  do have that capacity.
Perhaps a mini government budget in the summer to make adjustments Steve ? No one saw this coming did they. I’m just glad we got out of Hong Kong coming home in December 👍. 

Yes WRU could do something as well 

Edited by reesytheexile - 16 March 2020 at 5:37pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 6:01pm
It's time for the WRU to earn their corn tbh.

They've channeled through to them TV revenues to then distribute as appropriate.

This has helped them leverage and to spread out they borrowings and debt repayments.

They do now need to seek out borrowing (over the next 6 months) to supplement the losses at regional and grass roots level.

Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 6:08pm
Wales Online article from earlier today. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-teams-face-potential-devastation-17932295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting. 

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Tom Scarlet Tom wrote:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-teams-face-potential-devastation-17932295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting. 

Most pro rugby clubs in whichever country don’t make money.

Without the pro rugby club entities, the governing bodies would never have had it as good as they have been enjoying since the era of professionalism arrived.

Like it or not, the national governing bodies will need to behave like governments and central banks have done and support those below them in the pyramid, unless they want to shoot themselves in the collective foot.

Helpfully, those in the WRU will have learned from the poor decisions of the former office holders.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 16 March 2020 at 7:49pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 7:54pm

Without the pro rugby club entities, the governing bodies would never have had it as good as they have been enjoying since the era of professionalism arrived.

Like it or not, the national governing bodies will need to behave like governments and central banks have done and support those below them in the pyramid, unless they want to shoot themselves in the collective foot.

Helpfully, those in the WRU will have learned from the poor decisions of the former office holders.

Totally agree. The WRU need to step in quickly. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:06pm

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting

i think the english and french governing bodies may not agree with you tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic