Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Financing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Tom Scarlet Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Wales Online article from earlier today. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-teams-face-potential-devastation-17932295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting. 

Most pro rugby clubs in whichever country don’t make money.

Without the pro rugby club entities, the governing bodies would never have had it as good as they have been enjoying since the era of professionalism arrived.

Like it or not, the national governing bodies will need to behave like governments and central banks have done and support those below them in the pyramid, unless they want to shoot themselves in the collective foot.

Helpfully, those in the WRU will have learned from the poor decisions of the former office holders.

Totally agree. The WRU need to step in quickly
 they did apparently they took international ticket money from members clubs accounts hours before they called match off.Angry
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:19pm
In their defence that process would have been started days before when game was still on
Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-teams-face-potential-devastation-17932295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting. 

Without the pro rugby club entities, the governing bodies would never have had it as good as they have been enjoying since the era of professionalism arrived.

Like it or not, the national governing bodies will need to behave like governments and central banks have done and support those below them in the pyramid, unless they want to shoot themselves in the collective foot.

Helpfully, those in the WRU will have learned from the poor decisions of the former office holders.

Totally agree. The WRU need to step in quickly
 they did apparently they took international ticket money from members clubs accounts hours before they called match off.Angry

So I understand. Not good. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting

i think the english and french governing bodies may not agree with you tbh
Without having looked it up, I would think that the TV rights payments are multiples of what went before the pro era, even allowing for inflation.

Sure, the governing bodies don’t have it all their own way.

Instead, I’d imagine they have people that are paid massively more than before.

Whether that’s the pro era or the advent of satellite TV, the money in the game has gone up hugely. It’s time for the governing bodies to give more support to their pro sides and maybe further down the pyramid.

We can all think of tales told about the benefits of sitting on governing body committees. Those years of plenty need to be repaid.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 8:55pm

In their defence that process would have been started days before when game was still on

Yes, the money always comes out the clubs account between 24 & 36 hours before kick off of the Wales match. 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 4:00am

Totally agree. The WRU need to step in quickly. 

To compound it, they lost out on Scottish match takings.
Scarlets before Wales
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 7:35am
Of course the WRU have it in their power to stabilise regional/grass roots rugby in this very unusual time. My huge worry is do they have the personnel who are capable of leading the sport through this period. We have a CEO who is serving notice and a chairman who looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights suggesting he had no alternative other than to cancel last weekend's game two hours after saying it was going ahead and contrary to the expert advice. Very worrying times. 
Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Of course the WRU have it in their power to stabilise regional/grass roots rugby in this very unusual time. My huge worry is do they have the personnel who are capable of leading the sport through this period. We have a CEO who is serving notice and a chairman who looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights suggesting he had no alternative other than to cancel last weekend's game two hours after saying it was going ahead and contrary to the expert advice. Very worrying times. 

Yeah, acting on a situation is one thing, but whether it is the right action is another thing altogether. I hope any decisions made are done with the long term future of the game in mind and not just a quick fix.

On the subject of potential quick fixes the Guardian has a good article looking at how clubs and leagues of various sports might be tempted or even forced by the present situation into mergers, new TV deals (think CVC and Sky with the Six Nations) etc that offer an immediate solution with money but won't have the long term future of the sports in question at the core of their thinking. The article ends with;

"Ask yourself a question: how far do you trust these people ( administrators and executives, sponsors and speculators, agents and marketers) to act in the best interests of the sport you love?"

Full article here. Worth a read. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 11:20am

Yeah, acting on a situation is one thing, but whether it is the right action is another thing altogether. I hope any decisions made are done with the long term future of the game in mind and not just a quick fix.

On the subject of potential quick fixes the Guardian has a good article looking at how clubs and leagues of various sports might be tempted or even forced by the present situation into mergers, new TV deals (think CVC and Sky with the Six Nations) etc that offer an immediate solution with money but won't have the long term future of the sports in question at the core of their thinking. The article ends with;

"Ask yourself a question: how far do you trust these people ( administrators and executives, sponsors and speculators, agents and marketers) to act in the best interests of the sport you love?"

Full article here. Worth a read. 

Interesting article. How far do I trust? The WRU executives - well about as far as I could throw them. The saving grace for me is that the club I follow with a passion is run by people I trust implicitly. We are all in testing times and need good people to lead. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 11:29am

I'm very worried about all of the regions and clubs making money. Even if this is 'resolved' quickly I fear the implications and even damage could be long lasting

i think the english and french governing bodies may not agree with you tbh
Without having looked it up, I would think that the TV rights payments are multiples of what went before the pro era, even allowing for inflation.

Sure, the governing bodies don’t have it all their own way.

Instead, I’d imagine they have people that are paid massively more than before.

Whether that’s the pro era or the advent of satellite TV, the money in the game has gone up hugely. It’s time for the governing bodies to give more support to their pro sides and maybe further down the pyramid.

We can all think of tales told about the benefits of sitting on governing body committees. Those years of plenty need to be repaid.

The argument the  governing bodys would put forward is  the value of the international game is  not linked to the value of the club game

There is an argument that clubs signing players that then no longer play test rugby for their contrives reduces the value of the test game.

The WRU has a duty to help all of it's members the regions, the semi pros and the grass roots

I'm  with Rochester I am not sure they have the will or ability to help, this is a grim time for the sport and things could well get a lot worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic