Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sir Keir Starmer
    Posted: 05 April 2020 at 8:58am
New Labour leader... What do people think?

I don't know much about him but get the impression a centrist and safe pair of hands. We do need decent opposition post-virus and post-brexit and getting Labour back in order priority number 1. We're almost certainly going to be facing a recession and so could be ripe for a change in a few years although what country the next government will inherit is unclear.... but with Brexit done, no polarising "untrustworthy" leader who hopefully the media won't smear... We'll see. We'll also see how Boris gets on in fairness and what sort of "tough times" pm he is.
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 9:41am
he certainly looks the part with a calm self assured look about him.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 4:36pm
Solid and intelligent ill vote for him but hes bland. Nandy was my pick
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Solid and intelligent ill vote for him but hes bland. Nandy was my pick

Great minds think alike RR. I was impressed with Nandy. Came across as someone different. Starmer, judging by his shadow postings, is looking to distance himself from Corbyn which for me is a shame because many of the policies of Corbyn/McDonald were encouraging and aimed at levelling a very uneven playing field. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Working class background and Human Rights lawyer so his heart is in the right place ( he would have made twice as much of he had been a commercial or company lawyer) and then head of the CPS . Pretty impressive imo . He appointed Lisa Nandy Foreign Secretary ie one of the big beast jobs. He is in for the long haul though in getting Labour back in an electable state. The U.K. has always been a broadly centrist country with swings to the soft left and right. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Working class background and Human Rights lawyer so his heart is in the right place ( he would have made twice as much of he had been a commercial or company lawyer) and then head of the CPS . Pretty impressive imo . He appointed Lisa Nandy Foreign Secretary ie one of the big beast jobs. He is in for the long haul though in getting Labour back in an electable state. The U.K. has always been a broadly centrist country with swings to the soft left and right. 
The MP’s Pension Scheme is the best in the land by far. It’s eye-wateringly expensive to the taxpayers and outside the rules and restrictions everyone else is under. 

Getting to be the Prime Minister is really hitting the Pension Jackpot.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 5:23pm
Nandy was my pick too she came across very well. Im not a person whose overly impressed with titles. I know hes a human rights lawyer, but we all saw how cherie blair influenced the blair government. This country needs common sense, fair play and balance, a person who will listen to everyone.

I really hope hes not going to play the same playbook as others before him accusing anyone with differing views as being bigoted etc I hope he actually talks to the silent majority who have been ignored by labour for so long. I hope he remembers everyone has rights too, not just those he chooses to highlight. I desperately want a strong labour party to keep the tories in check and offer a credible alternative. 

Obama was the master at this, he had a great grasp on history, he was a great orator, who was always inclusive to everyone and also never played the race card. I really admired him and for that, he always kept his cool, pushed through obamacare against massive obstacles. His movement was grass roots, but in the end he ended up with more campaign funding than the republican party.

Edited by roy munster - 10 April 2020 at 5:26pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:19pm
He is electable and seems to have something about him. Given a nod to federalism ... they often do but rarely follow it up. I guess it's allabout the election campaign machine they can build now.

I won't be voting Labour because they're not prepared to take Wales' needs seriously. They always seem happier to pass Wales the fish and not the fishing rod. When the likes of Drakeford laud the Union because of the fiscal transfer that makes up our public tax/spend deficit I despair. I should be a natural Labour voter, and I'm genuinely happy when they do well in England but early doors I saw Kinnock rubbishing our country and I've never trusted them since. For me a Plaid vote keeps up the pressure for constitutional change.

From a Welsh perspective, the Tories have hoovered up the right and socially conservative (as in England). Liberals and the left seem to be spread between to many parties. I wonder if it's time to consolidate? As long as there's a commitment to building Wales constitutional sovereignty, democratic institutions and political capability I'll vote.

Last comment - I've never know political tribalism and identarianism to run so deeply. It's not good.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:35pm
Plaid should surely have more seats in the U.K. and Welsh governments but seem to lack structure and quality candidates and at grass roots level there seem to be squabbling. Mind you that’s what us Welsh are good at ! 😉 I would like a stronger Plaid but don’t see it happening 
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 2:41pm
Nasty piece of work , who just promoted the Labour MP calling for grooming gang victims to shut their mouths
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 9:25pm

respectfully  you and  i clearly have different takes on hr lawyers and their hearts being in the right place 😂👍. I like kier the murdoch press will go at him for that airport joke prosecution farce though

Edited by RR1972 - 11 April 2020 at 9:32pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 11:01pm

respectfully  you and  i clearly have different takes on hr lawyers and their hearts being in the right place 😂👍. I like kier the murdoch press will go at him for that airport joke prosecution farce though

Probably ! 😀 The Labour Party will have a smooth ride now for possibly 6-12 months as it’s going to be dead easy to attack the government in this Virus crisis in opposition ( although I would be gobsmacked if Labour would have done any better if JC : Labour were in government or this issue ). He will be tested once this virus crisis is sorted and ongoing politics of running the country continue. It’s going to be very tough now for the Tories as tax rises will have to be brought in next year which no one likes and carrying the country on that journey is going to be a huge challenge. As the so called party of business the government will have another massive  job on their hands. I hope they are up to it!

Edited by reesytheexile - 11 April 2020 at 11:02pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 8:15am

Probably ! 😀 The Labour Party will have a smooth ride now for possibly 6-12 months as it’s going to be dead easy to attack the government in this Virus crisis in opposition ( although I would be gobsmacked if Labour would have done any better if JC : Labour were in government or this issue ). He will be tested once this virus crisis is sorted and ongoing politics of running the country continue. It’s going to be very tough now for the Tories as tax rises will have to be brought in next year which no one likes and carrying the country on that journey is going to be a huge challenge. As the so called party of business the government will have another massive  job on their hands. I hope they are up to it!

Good post. I agree with you that navigating the country through this crisis is not a task any Prime Minister would relish nor indeed the very serious fiscal decisions which will be required when it is all over. 

Starmer comes across as a careful, safe pair of hands & if he can reconcile the centre & left factions of his party he will have a decent chance of taking on a battered Tory regime in 2024/5.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 10:43am
As long as the momentum nut jobs are booted out and get no where near power labour will walk it
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Good post. I agree with you that navigating the country through this crisis is not a task any Prime Minister would relish nor indeed the very serious fiscal decisions which will be required when it is all over. 

Starmer comes across as a careful, safe pair of hands & if he can reconcile the centre & left factions of his party he will have a decent chance of taking on a battered Tory regime in 2024/5.

pro corporation but are they pro sme?
heres one question labour should ask the tories...
"if youre meant to be lower taxation support business party , WHY DOES VAT ALWAYS GO UP under the tories?"
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 2:30pm

As long as the momentum nut jobs are booted out and get no where near power labour will walk it
Sadly there are nut jobs on both sides. 

I have just started following Angela Raynor on Facebook in view of her new role and was surprised by the vitriol coming her way from Labour posts calling them the ‘other Tory party ‘ and all sorts of cr*p . Lisa Nandy getting stick as well as Starmer .They are in total denial - what a dumb bunch after Corbyn was hammered . Why don’t they form a new party and put up MP’s not undermine the main Labour Party 🤨 don’t they understand it’s all about getting elected 🤪
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic