Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 30>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

A major problem for Starmer is finding enough characters of real ability to form a decent shadow cabinet.
they aren't up against much,priti patel during the early stages of lockdown was lauding the fact that shoplifting was down,the shops were shut at the time.
Sponsored Links

solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 6:46pm
Precisely.  A decent opposition should be taking this Tory lot to the cleaners, day after day.   
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

A major problem for Starmer is finding enough characters of real ability to form a decent shadow cabinet.
they aren't up against much,priti patel during the early stages of lockdown was lauding the fact that shoplifting was down,the shops were shut at the time.

LOL
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 8:11pm
LOL

LOL
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:57am

not sure they are  much better, lammy came up with the gem on social media a while back

LOLLOL
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:20am
Not wanting to start an old anti Thatcher rant from the regular table thumpers,  but on politics I just finished watching the 5 part documentary about Thatcher. Superb series about those turbulent years and the tough as well as ruthless life in political power. BBC at its best - think the beep had lost its mojo these days sadly. 

I also strolled in reminiscing fashion down the ghost of Stepney Street at weekend, and was rudely reminded by his constituency office bearing his big smiling face, that Neil Hamilton had a presence in Llanelli via the Welsh Parliament still and sighed deeply before walking on ....No statues of Neil in the town yet mind 🤨. Oh politics... 

Edited by reesytheexile - 30 June 2020 at 10:44am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Not wanting to start an old anti Thatcher rant from the regular table thumpers,  but on politics I just finished watching the 5 part documentary about Thatcher. Superb series about those turbulent years and the tough as well as ruthless life in political power. BBC at its best - think the beep had lost its mojo these days sadly. 

I also strolled in reminiscing fashion down the ghost of Stepney Street at weekend, and was rudely reminded by his constituency office bearing his big smiling face, that Neil Hamilton had a presence in Llanelli via the Welsh Parliament still and sighed deeply before walking on ....No statues of Neil in the town yet mind 🤨. Oh politics... 
I watched that, I've always hated thatcher (most of us here will) I must admit though that series did show how much she actually achieved

she is not for me but like her or loathe her she was an incredibly successful politician and will go down in history as  a massive figure in uk politics

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:14am
Please remind me what she achieved apart from making the country a meaner nastier place and defeating a third world country to regain a colony some 8000 miles away, using a nuclear submarine to torpedo an old rust-bucket called the Belgrano with the loss of hundreds of conscripted Argentine sailors.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I watched that, I've always hated thatcher (most of us here will) I must admit though that series did show how much she actually achieved

she is not for me but like her or loathe her she was an incredibly successful politician and will go down in history as  a massive figure in uk politics

Yes I watched it as someone who likes documentaries and it was fascinating stuff contemporary historical stuff .  I also wondered being totally serious here, about the Dementia she suffered from not that long after leaving office (she disappeared basically and didn’t do the rounds as they usually do)  and whether in fact she was already suffering from developing that awful medical condition in her latter years,  as she plainly went well off track in the last year or so and not listening like a ground dog day scenario?In those days Dementia wasn’t a topical or well researched subject. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:53am
So, as Johnson launches his New Deal taking after his new role model FDR, how about this for a quote?

“Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Please remind me what she achieved apart from making the country a meaner nastier place and defeating a third world country to regain a colony some 8000 miles away, using a nuclear submarine to torpedo an old rust-bucket called the Belgrano with the loss of hundreds of conscripted Argentine sailors.

won 3 elections for a start Wink

ps the Falkland's was a  uk colony before Argentina was even a sovereign nation, I know a man of your political leanings would have no time for right wing junta dictatorship like argentina was  under Galtieri  at the time?

The residents of the Falkland's consider themselves British and have voted overwhelmingly to stay part of the uk

Edited by RR1972 - 30 June 2020 at 11:58am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 12:00pm

Yes I watched it as someone who likes documentaries and it was fascinating stuff contemporary historical stuff .  I also wondered being totally serious here, about the Dementia she suffered from not that long after leaving office (she disappeared basically and didn’t do the rounds as they usually do)  and whether in fact she was already suffering from developing that awful medical condition in her latter years,  as she plainly went well off track in the last year or so and not listening like a ground dog day scenario?In those days Dementia wasn’t a topical or well researched subject. 

quite possibly, some really  political heavyweights in those days and battling them must have taken a toll as well

Anyhow before this thread goes toxic LOL it was a v good programme and I enjoyed

Edited by RR1972 - 30 June 2020 at 12:16pm
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 12:02pm

ps the Falkland's was a  uk colony before Argentina was even a sovereign nation, I know a man of your political leanings would have no time for right wing junta dictatorship like argentina was  under Galtieri  at the time?

The residents of the Falkland's consider themselves British and have voted overwhelmingly to stay part of the uk

At least she didn't take us into illegal wars like labour
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 2:05pm

RR1972 beat me to it. What would you have done Ffidel - surrendered to an occupying force. She was an extremely successful politician who put Britain first. Now I in no way agreed with all her policies, far from it, being from a family of miners but give me her in power before anyone that has come since.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 2:08pm
What sort of mentality considers islands in the South Atlantic to be part of Britain worth sacrificing so many young lives for? It would have been much cheaper for the small number of islanders to be repatriated, but the milk-snatcher wanted to show how tough she was, and what's a few hundred lives for that achievement?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

RR1972 beat me to it. What would you have done Ffidel - surrendered to an occupying force. She was an extremely successful politician who put Britain first. Now I in no way agreed with all her policies, far from it, being from a family of miners but give me her in power before anyone that has come since.
Gareth she destroyed a generation and the reason no one has done well is because she took away manufacturing and heavy industry and privatised everything for her fat cat tory benefactors who made a killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 30>
  Share Topic