Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

What sort of mentality considers islands in the South Atlantic to be part of Britain worth sacrificing so many young lives for? It would have been much cheaper for the small number of islanders to be repatriated, but the milk-snatcher wanted to show how tough she was, and what's a few hundred lives for that achievement?

From a political point of view it was a master stroke  the public backed her up and it basically won an election for her.

If it happened today I think a lot  of  people would agree with your view point, but she judged the mood of the nation and acted accordingly, those were different times

In fairness to turn tail and flee in the face of an aggressive right wing regime like Argentina was at the time has never been a policy that worked well for anyone

Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:49pm
At the start of the conflict I don't think many of us had much of a clue where the Falklands were. It took a major effort by the billionaire media to whip up the usual pro-war hysteria. If Maggie's son Mark was on that armada moving south then I might have been more convinced that she thought that the resulting blood-letting was worth it. As it was you will never convince me that she did it for anything more bolstering her image.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:06pm

At the start of the conflict I don't think many of us had much of a clue where the Falklands were. It took a major effort by the billionaire media to whip up the usual pro-war hysteria. If Maggie's son Mark was on that armada moving south then I might have been more convinced that she thought that the resulting blood-letting was worth it. As it was you will never convince me that she did it for anything more bolstering her image.

he was too busy getting lost racing across the desertLOLLOL

wasn't he linked with simon mann and his lot at one stage?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

In 2004 Mark Thatcher, under a plea bargaining arrangement, pleaded guilty to negligently supplying financial assistance to Mann and the coup d'etat plot in Equitorial Guinea.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 7:49pm

. Mark was certainly not cast in his mother’s mold but she apparently doted on him a lot more than his sister and indulged him- he did seem a plonker 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Please remind me what she achieved apart from making the country a meaner nastier place and defeating a third world country to regain a colony some 8000 miles away, using a nuclear submarine to torpedo an old rust-bucket called the Belgrano with the loss of hundreds of conscripted Argentine sailors.

won 3 elections for a start Wink

ps the Falkland's was a  uk colony before Argentina was even a sovereign nation, I know a man of your political leanings would have no time for right wing junta dictatorship like argentina was  under Galtieri  at the time?

The residents of the Falkland's consider themselves British and have voted overwhelmingly to stay part of the uk

RR1972 beat me to it. What would you have done Ffidel - surrendered to an occupying force. She was an extremely successful politician who put Britain first. Now I in no way agreed with all her policies, far from it, being from a family of miners but give me her in power before anyone that has come since.
Gareth she destroyed a generation and the reason no one has done well is because she took away manufacturing and heavy industry and privatised everything for her fat cat tory benefactors who made a killing.

Totally agree with you Nigel so it doesn't say an awful lot for the muppets who followed her which include war crimes Blair & its nothing to do with me Cameron. If you get the politicians you deserve then some of us in the UK have a hell of a lot to answer for. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:16am
So a big speech by the PM on projects and spending.... I can't watch him speak as he just waffles, nor do I find any of his promises to be anything but exaggerated or empty. It is not a top story, no one cares. He's a joke figure and everyone knows it.

Meanwhile Cummings gets the head of the civil service replaced with one of "their" guys so is continuing his agenda of political shake up. But for what ends? We also seem to be heading for another no deal Brexit, another aim of Cummings I'm sure.

Labour better get their act together because I have grave concerns about these people and their actual motives behind the scenes of the idiot clown performance set up to entertain the public.

I am not looking forwards to the next few years.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:33am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

So a big speech by the PM on projects and spending.... I can't watch him speak as he just waffles, nor do I find any of his promises to be anything but exaggerated or empty. It is not a top story, no one cares. He's a joke figure and everyone knows it.

Meanwhile Cummings gets the head of the civil service replaced with one of "their" guys so is continuing his agenda of political shake up. But for what ends? We also seem to be heading for another no deal Brexit, another aim of Cummings I'm sure.

Labour better get their act together because I have grave concerns about these people and their actual motives behind the scenes of the idiot clown performance set up to entertain the public.

instead of promising to spend money we haven't got how about going all out to save people's jobs right now.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:56am

instead of promising to spend money we haven't got how about going all out to save people's jobs right now.

I think in fairness that's what his optimistic message of build is about - but the actual sums being promised are very small, nothing like the original FDR New Deal. So that is just bluster. He also hinted over tax increases as well. I don't have an issue with these sorts of pledges but they are just so untrustworthy and vague gung-ho wiffle-waffle emphasising the odd word in each sentence with a fist swing. And he also has a strong track record of promising things he doesn't do. 

Sunak seems to have done well with a quick furlough scheme and massive borrowing but where is that money coming from? How is it going to be paid back? And considering his predecessor Javid quit because of interference from Cummings, this makes me think Sunak is just a Cummings yes-man at heart and is simply going to do the bidding of Cummings and, of course, Gove. I doubt Johnson gives a flying [beep] about numbers and whatnot.

The combination of Johnson, Gove and Cummings... have there been three less trustworthy and slimy people in an alliance before? And then we have the vile Patel, the corrupt Jenrick, the idiot Raab, the Saudi-supporting Williamson, and the broken Hancock. Thank god Grayling's gone. They're all just Boris/Cummings/Gove yes-men, recruited almost purely on loyalty and Brexit stance. We've seen during the pandemic when actual leadership and sensible decision-making is needed just how useless they all are.

Ladies and Gentleman, THIS is what our political system generates.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:22am
This is why it's a mistake for working class people to judge the success of politicians by the number of elections won, in consort with the compliant billionaire media, and not who the policies actually benefitted. It's clear now that it's the richest 1% that have benefitted most from the neo-liberal, financialization, and deindustrialisation of the economy which was started by Regan and Thatcher and continued since.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:59am

This is why it's a mistake for working class people to judge the success of politicians by the number of elections won, in consort with the compliant billionaire media, and not who the policies actually benefitted. It's clear now that it's the richest 1% that have benefitted most from the neo-liberal, financialization, and deindustrialisation of the economy which was started by Regan and Thatcher and continued since.

In which case blair did a great job, 99% of people were better off when he took over than when he left

I see kier has upset the regressive left again by calling their plans to defund the police nonsense, good man kierClap
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:25pm
Starmer certainly has a fight on his hands to get Labour electable most of it within his own party. I wish him luck. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:33pm

He's saying "jobs, jobs, jobs" now so rest assured he's on it. I think we are going to be hearing a lot of these triplicates from politicians of whatever word is trendy or attention catching. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:42pm

If they're looking for useful, labour intensive projects, perhaps they can complete a decent road connecting north and south Wales which has been on stop since the Romans left.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:54pm

In which case blair did a great job, 99% of people were better off when he took over than when he left

I see kier has upset the regressive left again by calling their plans to defund the police nonsense, good man kierClap

RR you must be one of the few to think that under Blair a majority, let alone 99% were better off, although the media would like to give this impression in order to make real change less likely. This piece, I think, gives a fairer view -

https://prruk.org/shipwreck-of-the-third-way-tony-blair-new-labour-and-inequality/

Edited by Ffidel Bennett - 01 July 2020 at 12:55pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:56pm

If they're looking for useful, labour intensive projects, perhaps they can complete a decent road connecting north and south Wales which has been on stop since the Romans left.
A railway wouldn’t go amiss either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
  Share Topic