Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I can understand awarding contracts without tender in March / April when we just needed any proper PPE we could find. However the scale of the contracts and how long they’ve awarded them for is truly disgraceful. Let’s hope that people remember how taxpayers’ money has been spent come the next election.
Yes because Tony Blair and the last Labour government didn’t look after their mates at all. I agree corruption at the top is a disgrace but it’s been going on for centuries and is just as bad with the current WAG. 
If there were an election tomorrow I really don’t know who there is to vote for. This has to be the worst set of politicians on both sides of the house that has ever been. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2020 at 9:54am
This Good Law Project is interesting, good luck to them I say.

Nice article on the lawyer driving it, Jolyon Maugham (nice name... Not), his motivations and aims:

Plus apparently two Aussie ex PMs (enough of them around) are trying to take Murdoch's control of their press to account. Bout bloody time mate. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 12:48pm

Sir Keir says then moves on to "conflicts of interests".

He points to a number of controversies in the awarding of contracts, and the Health Secretary Matt Hancock hiring a close friend, who is also a lobbyist.

The PM defends his government, saying any conflicts of interest are published in contracts.

Mr Johnson adds: "But again he seems to be attacking the government for shifting heaven and earth... to get the medicines, the PPE, the treatments the country needed."

He concludes by accusing Labour of having a "deep underlying hatred of private sector".

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Sir Keir says then moves on to "conflicts of interests".

He points to a number of controversies in the awarding of contracts, and the Health Secretary Matt Hancock hiring a close friend, who is also a lobbyist.

The PM defends his government, saying any conflicts of interest are published in contracts.

Mr Johnson adds: "But again he seems to be attacking the government for shifting heaven and earth... to get the medicines, the PPE, the treatments the country needed."

He concludes by accusing Labour of having a "deep underlying hatred of private sector".

That's not an answer, it is simply a) acknowledging the point and b) attacking the questioner. An answer would be "we needed to act quickly, so used established contacts and suppliers" or something like that.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Mmmm whereas the majority of the country are no doubt ecstatic that some middleman pocked 21 million of public money during the recent PPE contracts "issue".
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 2:40pm
His flippant frivolous non-answer is a joke, a disgraceful . Im flabbergasted how the media are not crucifying him over the multi billions covid contract cover ups.
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 3:01pm
Mutual blind eye turning
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 4:05pm
The reckless spending of taxpayers money was down to blind panic and wanton profiteering by certain individuals. Will we learn our lessons???? Will we be prepared for another deadly pandemic???? Probably not as once the supply of vaccines starts to ease us all back to normality new enormous challenges will rapidly appear over the horizon - climate change being the No 1 challenge to life as we now know it. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 8:01am
Ignoring broken promises (I mean honestly who reads a manifesto these days?) two things from yesterday and Sunak:

We are racking up gigantic debt, way beyond anything seen before. Where is our money to repay this going to come from?

Brexit was never mentioned by Sunak. Not once. How will this impact our economy and what measures are they putting in place? I find it astounding he never brought this up. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Ignoring broken promises (I mean honestly who reads a manifesto these days?) two things from yesterday and Sunak:

We are racking up gigantic debt, way beyond anything seen before. Where is our money to repay this going to come from?

Brexit was never mentioned by Sunak. Not once. How will this impact our economy and what measures are they putting in place? I find it astounding he never brought this up. 

Well Dr M there are only two areas where our huge debt repayments can come from and that is direct & indirect taxation. In the context of Brexit the scale of the borrowing/debt is such that the impact of Brexit, certainly in the short/medium term, has become of secondary importance. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 9:36am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well Dr M there are only two areas where our huge debt repayments can come from and that is direct & indirect taxation. In the context of Brexit the scale of the borrowing/debt is such that the impact of Brexit, certainly in the short/medium term, has become of secondary importance. 

There are other possibilities: selling off UK-owned thingies, large donations from very rich people. Big money deals with other countries for unknown things. I still don't really understand who it is we are in debt to. 

The moves towards getting this money back was freezing public sector worker pay and to decrease foreign aid spending. The first seems to go against a manifesto pledge to increase teachers pay (as a quick example) while the second is breaking a manifesto promise. But I just watched media clips so maybe missed more.

And yes I agree Brexit is of secondary importance, however, it is actually quite a big deal and is happening in January. That a chancellor does not even mention a pretty large situational change to the UK's economy is ridiculous really. A thought that springs to mind is if it was going to be such a financial bonus as everyone was saying - not to mention the current Government's flagship policy - it would have got a mention.

But anyway, these speeches are largely meaningless and you have to work very hard to find actual fact and policy within them. Not wishing to personalise it, but this is something I think Sunak is developing very well indeed to be the next PM. Likely why he is trying to avoid giving any bad news to Tories out (like increasing taxes) at this moment.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 9:58am

There are other possibilities: selling off UK-owned thingies, large donations from very rich people. Big money deals with other countries for unknown things. I still don't really understand who it is we are in debt to. 

The moves towards getting this money back was freezing public sector worker pay and to decrease foreign aid spending. The first seems to go against a manifesto pledge to increase teachers pay (as a quick example) while the second is breaking a manifesto promise. But I just watched media clips so maybe missed more.

And yes I agree Brexit is of secondary importance, however, it is actually quite a big deal and is happening in January. That a chancellor does not even mention a pretty large situational change to the UK's economy is ridiculous really. A thought that springs to mind is if it was going to be such a financial bonus as everyone was saying - not to mention the current Government's flagship policy - it would have got a mention.

But anyway, these speeches are largely meaningless and you have to work very hard to find actual fact and policy within them. Not wishing to personalise it, but this is something I think Sunak is developing very well indeed to be the next PM. Likely why he is trying to avoid giving any bad news to Tories out (like increasing taxes) at this moment.
A lot of the covid debt is actually to the Bank of England - they print more money and buy the government debt with it. As long as inflation doesn’t rise it’s not a huge problem if they continue to do that (and it doesn’t seem likely that inflation will rise). In terms of repaying the debt I’d argue that as interest rates are so low currently (about 20 times lower than in 2008) we shouldn’t worry particularly about how much we borrow as we can stagger the repayments for as long as the government likes. What we should worry a lot more about is getting the economy back up to pre-covid levels as soon as possible (after the public health crisis has subsided), which is why I believe the freezing of public sector workers’ wages is a bad decision as it will mean they spend less money, resulting in lower economic growth.

Edited by Jones2004 - 26 November 2020 at 9:58am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 10:49am
I agree with the pay freeze ,  people are losing jobs hand over fist in the private sector

to give private sector workers and civil servants  a rise would go down like a lead ballon

especially when  there plenty    on full pay and doing nothing for large chunks of the lockdown and I know that doesn't apply to all of the staff

Cutting foreign aid is totally logical when our own health service and care services is in dire need of extra finances

The govt first duty is to it's own people as harsh as that sounds. Frankly I'd have scrapped it all together ,  that £15 billion is needed in the uk at the moment

It may have been a manifesto promise at election time but we weren't in the midst of a pandemic and recession then, times change policies must change to

Edited by RR1972 - 26 November 2020 at 10:53am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I agree with the pay freeze ,  people are losing jobs hand over fist in the private sector

to give private sector workers and civil servants  a rise would go down like a lead ballon

especially when  there plenty    on full pay and doing nothing for large chunks of the lockdown and I know that doesn't apply to all of the staff

Cutting foreign aid is totally logical when our own health service and care services is in dire need of extra finances

The govt first duty is to it's own people as harsh as that sounds. Frankly I'd have scrapped it all together ,  that £15 billion is needed in the uk at the moment

It may have been a manifesto promise at election time but we weren't in the midst of a pandemic and recession then, times change policies must change to

Spot on. Britain first. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 1:24pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Spot on. Britain first. 

Fair nuff, just have to disagree but I'm not in charge. Right, back to Boris bashing it is.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 2:02pm
If the economy is rebuilt Im sure the foreign aid will rise again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>
  Share Topic