Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corey Baldwin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corey Baldwin
    Posted: 15 April 2020 at 9:36am
I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 

I hate this, the boy is going to be quality. His contract should of been sorted out last summer. Management have seriously dropped a bollock on this. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and I hope the likes of Conbeer, Osian Knott, Dan Davis and Jac Morgan are tied down.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I hate this, the boy is going to be quality. His contract should of been sorted out last summer. Management have seriously dropped a bollock on this. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and I hope the likes of Conbeer, Osian Knott, Dan Davis and Jac Morgan are tied down.

I share your view but it is a hell of a job balancing the books which is only going to get harder over the next few seasons. From what I have heard recently both Scott & Corey are serious bollocks dropped. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:43am

I share your view but it is a hell of a job balancing the books which is only going to get harder over the next few seasons. From what I have heard recently both Scott & Corey are serious bollocks dropped. 

It is odd why we undervalued him both financially and as a player. I heard that Brad really rated him yet he played at 13 twice was it? Against Bayonne he was outstanding and looked every bit the new Fox yet he then played him wing again.
In addition, while I know Exeter are a well managed club, at the moment (current issues aside) we were in as good a financial position as we have ever been so maybe we were chancing our arm a bit with the money. It seems now unless we sign someone (probably on more money), we have a fragile Foxy and a host of good club players to try and complete with the likes of Leinster. Confused
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:43am

Agree but surely there has to be a plan for future proofing the squad. With Parkes, Fonotia and Foxy all the wrong side of 32 why leave it until he's got 4/5 months left on his contract. Its a lot cheaper to promote from within than go get. 21 year olds who have excelled through age grade, outside centres, who can also play wing, are 6 foot +, knocking on 16stone and have serious gas don't come along that often. We haven't produced any with anywhere near his potential since Scott and Foxy 12/13 years ago.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

It is odd why we undervalued him both financially and as a player. I heard that Brad really rated him yet he played at 13 twice was it? Against Bayonne he was outstanding and looked every bit the new Fox yet he then played him wing again.
In addition, while I know Exeter are a well managed club, at the moment (current issues aside) we were in as good a financial position as we have ever been so maybe we were chancing our arm a bit with the money. It seems now unless we sign someone (probably on more money), we have a fragile Foxy and a host of good club players to try and complete with the likes of Leinster. Confused

Yeah exactly, someone has dropped a bollock. I was really looking forward to him and Osian Knott as our 12/13 starters in a few seasons time, then we are only shopping around for squad players, and we have those.
I also don't get why we were shuffling natural 12's in to 13 all season (Steff Hughes is a quality 12, he is not a 13), when we had Cory available. Surely it was the perfect time to develop him.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:54am

Agree but surely there has to be a plan for future proofing the squad. With Parkes, Fonotia and Foxy all the wrong side of 32 why leave it until he's got 4/5 months left on his contract. Its a lot cheaper to promote from within than go get. 21 year olds who have excelled through age grade, outside centres, who can also play wing, are 6 foot +, knocking on 16stone and have serious gas don't come along that often. We haven't produced any with anywhere near his potential since Scott and Foxy 12/13 years ago.

Yes spot on. I see Baldwin being a potential Lion that is how much I rate his quality. If us supporters can see it in the lad then why don't the coaches? Osian again is a big lad - I don't know how quick he is but he seems to have the raw materials. For me we have wasted a huge chance to bllod Corey at 13 with Foxy & Fonotia missing. It will be very interesting to see where Baxter plays him and, of course, how many games he gets. For us our search for quality midfield options continues. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 11:17am

It was sad to see Corey leave, and a mystery to why he did not have more time at 13 shirt this term .

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 11:17am

Yes spot on. I see Baldwin being a potential Lion that is how much I rate his quality. If us supporters can see it in the lad then why don't the coaches? Osian again is a big lad - I don't know how quick he is but he seems to have the raw materials. For me we have wasted a huge chance to bllod Corey at 13 with Foxy & Fonotia missing. It will be very interesting to see where Baxter plays him and, of course, how many games he gets. For us our search for quality midfield options continues. 
let's be honest gar,pivac didn't give a poo after he was announced as welsh coach and brad hardly had time to unpack his case before he was off to pastures new,this kind of things annoys me because we ended up with owen Williams hoping to get him back on big money likewise josh adams a stonewall british lion if fit and now baldwin because he was tempted away,sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate and the way the other regions are recruiting I can see us being left behind again because bar the odd game this year we've been no great shakes at all.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 11:20am
We were the least impacted club by the introduction of the bandings which suggests that we pay out players there or thereabouts the right amounts based on their experience, promise and performance. Bearing that in mind I'd be suprised if we tried it on with a low wage offer, we'd also be very unlikely to pay over the odds.

Baldwin has had a lot of game time this season, it may not all have been in his preferred position but sometimes you've got to bide your time a bit and do what's right for the team, our coach is the next all blacks backs coach so you'd expect him to know a little bit about back play, we were/are in the playoff places in the league and quarters of Europe after all.

There'll be a mixture of factors in his decision and without knowing him, what he was offered by us and Exeter then it's complete guess work so I'm not going to accuse anyone of dropping a b0ll0ck.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 11:51am

I heard the same a few months ago from a youngster at work who knows Corey and has played with/against him for years.He echoed the views on his brother ,too.
Baldwin's departure is a serious indictment of Mooar's time in charge.As far as I'm concerned,Mooar has excelled at P.R,and little else.Let's hope for a head-coach who wants to win trophies and sticks to his task no matter who comes knocking.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

let's be honest gar,pivac didn't give a poo after he was announced as welsh coach and brad hardly had time to unpack his case before he was off to pastures new,this kind of things annoys me because we ended up with owen Williams hoping to get him back on big money likewise josh adams a stonewall british lion if fit and now baldwin because he was tempted away,sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate and the way the other regions are recruiting I can see us being left behind again because bar the odd game this year we've been no great shakes at all.
The way the other regions are recruiting? Scarlets budget is far higher than the other three regions so I don't think you can accuse the Scarlets of not investing into the playing squad. Why would they want to sign Josh Adams when they'd lose potentially four back three players to Wales? In terms of this season it's a World Cup year and they were still in contention in two competitions going into the business end of the season. Obviously we'll never know how the season would have panned out but I'd have definitely taken where we were pre-Covid before the season kicked-off.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The way the other regions are recruiting? Scarlets budget is far higher than the other three regions so I don't think you can accuse the Scarlets of not investing into the playing squad. Why would they want to sign Josh Adams when they'd lose potentially four back three players to Wales? In terms of this season it's a World Cup year and they were still in contention in two competitions going into the business end of the season. Obviously we'll never know how the season would have panned out but I'd have definitely taken where we were pre-Covid before the season kicked-off.
if you read my post steff the josh and owen references were retrospective in the context of us losing baldwin.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:08pm
josh adams is imo a top class winger I would have liked to have signed him long term  even if that meant losing jonny mac but stef  raises a valid point too many welsh internationals at the region can be counter productive as we miss them for so much of the season with wales and often with injuries as well

eg Adams is a  slightly better player than stef evans but stef will be better value as you get him for a full season

Losing Baldwin was a blow but you can't blame him he did not get enough game time , especially in the centre

Well see how good he is if he can get in this Exeter team, if he does hell have a great chance of test caps and winning trophys

Edited by RR1972 - 15 April 2020 at 12:09pm
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:08pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

if you read my post steff the josh and owen references were retrospective in the context of us losing baldwin.
Too many people just don't want to face facts.Mooar's tenure has left us in a mess.The disruption to this season will obscure how bad things have been,and could have  become.If nothing else I'll be chuffed not to hear"Dee all can vow-er"again,or any of Mooar's other attempts to ingratiate by mangling the Welsh language.In truth,as far as selection goes,the man couldn't(or wouldn't) pick his pointy nose.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

josh adams is imo a top class winger I would have liked to have signed him long term  even if that meant losing jonny mac but stef  raises a valid point too many welsh internationals at the region can be counter productive as we miss them for so much of the season with wales and often with injuries as well

eg Adams is a  slightly better player than stef evans but stef will be better value as you get him for a full season

Losing Baldwin was a blow but you can't blame him he did not get enough game time , especially in the centre

Well see how good he is if he can get in this Exeter team, if he does hell have a great chance of test caps and winning trophys
I didn't advocate us signing adams Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic