Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will we see players and coaches furlowed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

try being self employed,5 months of rain and then this virus strikes,i won't get anything until june at the earliest and yes I could go to work because I work on my own but you can't get the materials to do the work.
i agree with ladram here  with due respect 99per cent of the population of the uk don’t get to retire at 35. Anyhow ive made my position clear and don’t want to comment further. Have a good evening folks

Edited by RR1972 - 20 April 2020 at 6:42pm
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 7:36pm
'Retire' means retire from rugby by the way, sorry I thought that was obvious.

I've not heard of a rugby player who's been able to retire in the context of never having to work again when his rugby career ends.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

'Retire' means retire from rugby by the way, sorry I thought that was obvious.

I've not heard of a rugby player who's been able to retire in the context of never having to work again when his rugby career ends.
In times gone by, my first job include writing the rules for special pension schemes for professional sportsmen.

In the mid 70s, it was possible for pro sports folk to have large contributions put into pension plans with a special retirement age of 35. These contributions were tax deductible and had to be arranged with the club. 

Let’s say the sportsman was prepared to live on half his earnings and have the other half put into the pension. If they started early enough and had a decent career, they could retire on a very nice income. It was possible then, with higher (double digit) interest rates and annuity rates.

This all stopped in 2006.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 7:59pm
The likes of dan carter and willkinson will surely never  have To work again. Neither should the likes of foxy awj and halfpenny once they eventually call it quits? These guys must have eArnt into the millions over the course of their careers (pre tax i mean) don’t they have people investing it for them into say a property portfilio?Of course the regional level players will but anything over £50k per annum is big money in our area. As i said i have no issues with any one earning what they can.

Edited by RR1972 - 20 April 2020 at 8:16pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Not sure I understand the sentiments here. Have we moved on from a debate on whether the regions should be allowed to take advantage of the governments emergency package and furlough players in order to ease the burden on the business, to some sort of 'us and them' debate about how much hardship players should endure?  I'm lost.

I'm with you here Rob, not sure what debate we're having.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 11:14am
A few well thumbed phrases come to mind on all this :

- The politics of envy
- Greed is good 
- Ignorance is a bliss
- A little knowledge is a dangerous thing 
- Tall Poppy syndrome 
- Sorry , I haven’t  a clue 
- Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn

Why not try to  mix and match folks to sum up your feelings! 😂 

For me it’s the last one . 😂

Ps - I was born in a shoebox!

Edited by reesytheexile - 21 April 2020 at 12:51pm
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 1:56pm
The top 5% of players will never have to worry about money post rugby career, I’m sure we can all agree on that, players like Biggar, Piatau, Itoje, Farrell are on 600k+ a year without sponsorship, appearances etc. It would take most of us 20 odd years to achieve that.

I dont think it’s right to furlough rugby players as it’s treating them all equal, I think it would be on a player by player basis unfortunately. 

Its the players who are at the bottom end of the scale that will pay the price, players who are on the verge of a pro/development contract will be furloughed and then released, as I believe only the best will be kept on. 

Think we’ve seen that already with local companies, the people who have been kept on are the highest earners and the people who have been furloughed are the lowest earners regardless of the cost to the company. Big earners have more say/influence and more to lose unfortunately.

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 3:19pm
I don't think there's any point in looking at this (if we're discussing rugby) from the view of what other companies and industries are doing as they'll furlough staff based on their needs, it may be high earners or low earners depending on who's needed.

In terms of a rugby club regardless of the role of the employee the purpose of their employment is ultimately to contribute towards rugby results so any furlough would theoretically be based on what's best for ensuring supporters have team to follow in a few months and that those team are successful.

Ignoring any moral argument based on wages I don't think there's any question at all that if rugby clubs don't either use the furlough scheme or have support from elsewhere (unions, World Rugby etc.) then their employees are almost certainly going to have to be made redundant. The scheme is there to prevent this so rugby clubs are entitled to use it.

I'm not really sure what the debate is here? Rugby clubs are companies, as far as I can see they're fully entitled to use the scheme, so yeah they'll probably use it.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I don't think there's any point in looking at this (if we're discussing rugby) from the view of what other companies and industries are doing as they'll furlough staff based on their needs, it may be high earners or low earners depending on who's needed.

In terms of a rugby club regardless of the role of the employee the purpose of their employment is ultimately to contribute towards rugby results so any furlough would theoretically be based on what's best for ensuring supporters have team to follow in a few months and that those team are successful.

Ignoring any moral argument based on wages I don't think there's any question at all that if rugby clubs don't either use the furlough scheme or have support from elsewhere (unions, World Rugby etc.) then their employees are almost certainly going to have to be made redundant. The scheme is there to prevent this so rugby clubs are entitled to use it.

I'm not really sure what the debate is here? Rugby clubs are companies, as far as I can see they're fully entitled to use the scheme, so yeah they'll probably use it.

The debate was or rather was meant to be , is it right that businesses are using this to help pay some of the wages of some employees who are earning  six figure salaries

It was not meant to be an attack on any  player or to be jealous of anyone's wealth or to have an indepth debate how much players will have tucked away  at the end of their careers (that is their business and no one else's) which is how some posters appear to have taken it

Neither was it meant to generate any friction on here, I'm sure we all have far bigger things to worry about at the moment

If the mods want to move /lock the thread that maybe the best thing

Edited by RR1972 - 21 April 2020 at 7:27pm
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 8:48am
How are we going to come out of this situation?  The government in London is apparently talking to sports governing bodies this week. However, the pro 14 is spread across ?6? different countries in terms of setting  the rules for emergence from lockdown. Not as simple as the premiere league or premiership. And then in our particular situation, bits of our ground are currently a field hospital, including the training facility which will be needed before the league recommences. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 10:17am
I suspect mergers may well be back on the agenda at this rate with the huge sums of money being lost . 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:06am
The CVC investment is key if that doesn't happen then mergers will
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The CVC investment is key if that doesn't happen then mergers will
I would love to be a fly on the wall at the WRU offices/ Zoom meetings, as they must be paralysed at present. There is also that proposed hotel complex they ha bought adjacent to the ground at big cost. Nightmare for the game. Ditto the regions as the cash cow is the WRU . 😕 Yes mergers may well be back on the agenda! 😟
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 12:05pm
There’s been articles saying about an English break away of six clubs and forming an Anglo welsh league ?  Whatever the outcome , this is what we need 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

There’s been articles saying about an English break away of six clubs and forming an Anglo welsh league ?  Whatever the outcome , this is what we need 
That sort of thing will surely need the sanction of the WRU which they have not been keen to give especially if it loses power v the RFU 
🤔 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 12:16pm
there won't be any breakaway leagues , the English clubs don't need it and the  wru/rfu and then the IRB won't allow it

Listeneing to talk sport today, re football matches being played in empty stadiums

They still reckon there will be around 400 people there with groundstaff , tv camera people,  medics, ball boys etc etc

Everyone would need to be tested every week

Same would need to apply to rugby, are we really at a stage where we can do 400 tests a week on people just to get a sports match played?

I very much doubt it tbh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic