Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will we see players and coaches furlowed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 12:42pm
I think we will have to wait and see ho the new chairman will be before wondering if there will be a British League.

It appears that both candidates want a structured season, where internationals are played without interfering with club/regional rugby.  

It is a crucial state in rugby, if it does not change then I fear the game will disappear into also rans of sport. 

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 12:56pm
what do we make to summer rugby? I'm not opposed to it but that means no games until well into next year can we survive until then?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

what do we make to summer rugby? I'm not opposed to it but that means no games until well into next year can we survive until then?
I’m all for it in the long run. Rugby union is too loyal to tradition and it’s holding it back.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 1:24pm
Ian McGeechan, a sensible commentator on the game I think most would agree, has called for a unified structured rugby season of 9 months playing with 3 x 1 month rest periods giving space for 10 Internationals & 30 club/regional games. 
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 1:26pm
Rugby league went to summer a few yrs back and I regularly watch super league and I don’t think it’s harmed them - to the contrary they appear to be thriving 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

there won't be any breakaway leagues , the English clubs don't need it and the  wru/rfu and then the IRB won't allow it

Listeneing to talk sport today, re football matches being played in empty stadiums

They still reckon there will be around 400 people there with groundstaff , tv camera people,  medics, ball boys etc etc

Everyone would need to be tested every week

Same would need to apply to rugby, are we really at a stage where we can do 400 tests a week on people just to get a sports match played?

I very much doubt it tbh

400 people?! That seems a tad high seeing as stewards, ticket sellers, turnstile operators, bar staff etc won’t be there. 

I doubt the people involved in making and filming live TV shows are getting tested every week. Why would it be different for people broadcasting live sport? 

NHS capacity is probably more of a pressing issue than tests. Before a green light is given to pro rugby we would need to be sure that injuries, particularly serious ones, could be treated as quickly and as well as pre-lockdown. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 9:58pm
The guy being interviewed was the sporting director of a top flight bundesliga club. I think he knows what he is talking about tbh 👍👍

Edited by RR1972 - 27 April 2020 at 10:07pm
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:14pm
On the topic of what should be done to save regional rugby, I think we should follow that of what they do for American Football, as I understand the games are played solely on Sundays, this would allow all fans, including grass roots players to attend the matches, not just a few games here and there, but every game.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

On the topic of what should be done to save regional rugby, I think we should follow that of what they do for American Football, as I understand the games are played solely on Sundays, this would allow all fans, including grass roots players to attend the matches, not just a few games here and there, but every game.

The NFL has Thursday night games, and started a few Friday as well as the regular (majority of games) Sunday and also Monday. The only reason they don't do Saturdays is because of College Football and their numbers would half. 
Scarlets before Wales
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:37pm
Yep Friday is High school, saturday college and sunday NFL. No chance of that with our league games need to be played at obscure times for tv purposes. Saturday is premier league football if you can put some other sport at times where people are not watching that then its easier to sell to the tv channels, thats why one game is at 5.30 and another at 7.45 if on saturday.  
I would love consistent saturday 1 pm kickoffs, but i doubt thats going to happen. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic