Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PRO14 & CVC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PRO14 & CVC
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:29am
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:42am
not really i cant see that happening just appears on 1st reading that pro14 now has some serious finance putting into it. interesting what comes of this 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:45am
I can’t see it in the short or medium term. Long term, perhaps. 

The next step is possibly having the Pro(X) and the English Premiership as two conferences with the top teams playing off to be overall champion. If that came with a joint TV and sponsorship deal, that would be fantastic progress. 

It’s a positive that the same company have invested in both leagues so there is some hope. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:53am
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:28pm
Good news and much welcomed cash to the game.
What the future will hold... Conferences that will include the English clubs perhaps. Who knows. Wheels certainly set in motion. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:56pm
It is certainly a busy period for rugby, we have an announcement that North & Southern Hemisphere countries are discussing a global season, which has been an issue for all of us. it looks as if there will be periods in the season for everything. I personally think this is the 1st stage of a total reorganisation of world rugby, well overdue.

Regional rugby has been poor for a few seasons now, with only a few teams shining, international players only playing a handful of games, not there fault or the region, but if we get a period where everyone is available & playing, then we could have a very good Pro14, and maybe what is as important is that the English Premiership will be playing at the same time, so with the investment from CVC the next stage is an united competition.

There will be casualties, European Cup, may be different (already talking of that now), will regions and teams need such a large squad, just 2 that spring to mind.

If it does happen, it will not be overnight, and it will be a massive change, something we and the rugby world are slow on the take.

I am looking forward to all this, will I be alive to see the end result I'm not sure, but if it goes ahead, it may just be the saving of the sport we all love.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Just been posted by the Scarlets social media.

Does this mean B&I League?

It’s the first step...

I can't see it myself. As Ive been saying for ages 'what would happen to the Italians'? My reading of that statement is that they are now inked in as part of the Celtic Nations. We are nowehere near a B&I League.

A merger of the English Premiership and the PRO12? maybe, with two conferences. In that scenario the SA teams would be out. Italy is a big country and still untapped as far as rugby is concerned and a short flight. CVC obviously consider that to be the case.

If the English dont want that, then the PRO14 will continue in its current form or even expand with more South African teams. Lot of TV money in SA.

A B&I League is dead now, for as long as this agreement exists anyway.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

It’s the first step...

I can't see it myself. As Ive been saying for ages 'what would happen to the Italians'? My reading of that statement is that they are now inked in as part of the Celtic Nations. We are nowehere near a B&I League.

A merger of the English Premiership and the PRO12? maybe, with two conferences. In that scenario the SA teams would be out. Italy is a big country and still untapped as far as rugby is concerned and a short flight. CVC obviously consider that to be the case.

If the English dont want that, then the PRO14 will continue in its current form or even expand with more South African teams. Lot of TV money in SA.

That's my reading of it,too,unfortunately.
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:45pm
Speculating about this slow roll-up roadmap...

Align the Pro14 and Gallagher TV rights.
Then run each competition concurrently.
Close the seasons with unifying play-offs.
Both competitions under a single sponsor.
The tournaments would be both separate and aligned at the same time.

A separate cup tournament to be all-in, British and Irish, after the Anglo-Welsh Premier Rugby.
Or the other way around - a cup is Celtic, a league is B&I.

Either that or a big bang rather than a slow roll-up.
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:47pm
Italians are on the board but in the minority. Are the articles structured such that any one union has a veto?

It’s the first step...

pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:49pm
This is a have-your-cake-and-eat-it option, no? Pro 12/14 keeps Italian interest, SA fixtures make some way ever-more inter-divisional games.

Originally posted by pillory pillory wrote:

Speculating about this slow roll-up roadmap...

Align the Pro14 and Gallagher TV rights.
Then run each competition concurrently.
Close the seasons with unifying play-offs.
Both competitions under a single sponsor.
The tournaments would be both separate and aligned at the same time.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:51pm

It’s the first step...

nonsense. It’ll happen

Edited by scarletnut - 22 May 2020 at 1:52pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:00pm
I don't think you can rule anything in or out so nothing is nonsense or a certainty.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:02pm

It’s the first step...

nonsense. It’ll happen

There's no need to be rude. I'm only commenting on the article. You may have further information that I'm not privy to.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:04pm

]A B&I League is dead now, for as long as this agreement exists anyway.

I don't share that view.

A few years ago, the 2 leagues were miles apart. Now, we are looking at a scenario where the same investment company holds a stake in the english prem, the pro 14 and the 6 nations. Plus a large say in the commercial activity of at least 1 of those organisations.

It isn't a coincidence that CVC have invested in these 3 tournaments. It's far more likely that a British and Irish league happens now, than it has been for the last 20 years. If the money is right, and CVC want it to happen, it will happen. If they see money making activity elsewhere, then it won't.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:04pm

It’s the first step...

nonsense. It’ll happen

For regional rugby to compete and have a say over International rugby, the same way as it does in football I think it has to happen, at the moment we rarely see our full squads and crowds are falling something you'd never see in the Premiership. A British league would be massive for the sport.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic