Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay wants a few more games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barclay wants a few more games
    Posted: 03 June 2020 at 12:36pm
While its not an ideal time with such worries about funding, it would be great to have him back for his influence both on and off the pitch.

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 1:23pm
[QUOTE=supertaf]While its not an ideal time with such worries about funding, it would be great to have him back for his influence both on and off the pitch.

John was immense with us.  He was a true leader and massive talent and influence.  He should have been a lion. Irrespective, In my opinion, he’d be an ideal candidate , his knowledge of the squad and his vast experience would prevail .
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

While its not an ideal time with such worries about funding, it would be great to have him back for his influence both on and off the pitch.

Where would he fit in? We are always looking back, we need to look forward.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He seemed destined to start coaching and working his way up the ladder. Would be a great shame if he doesn't stay in the game.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:30pm
Yeah, I really think we are stacked at back row now. Shingler, Cubby, Cassiem, Macleod, that new number 8, Thomson, Davis, Kennedy, Morgan, Phillips and Rawlins can cover there also.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

He seemed destined to start coaching and working his way up the ladder. Would be a great shame if he doesn't stay in the game.
Scarlets need an experienced defence coach 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:59pm

Im not sure its looking back, we should have never let him go. Ideal man to mentor the younger players, play when we have a million players away with wales or injured and possibly move into coaching which is what he wanted to do to start with.
It wont happen as no one knows where the money is coming from going forward.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 4:00pm

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Scarlets need an experienced defence coach 

isn't  easterby doing the defence work for Ireland now? maybe he would like the gig

As for Barclay he was a top player for us  and he is still a  top pro, but given the current financial state of rugby he is a luxury we can't afford

Edited by RR1972 - 03 June 2020 at 4:03pm
matt_george View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 4:24pm
If we can find the funds to get Barclay on the basis that he plays the odd game when required (international windows maybe) and is involved in a coaching capacity to some degree, I'd be all for it. Such a great influence during his previous spell.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by matt_george matt_george wrote:

If we can find the funds to get Barclay on the basis that he plays the odd game when required (international windows maybe) and is involved in a coaching capacity to some degree, I'd be all for it. Such a great influence during his previous spell.
That would be a great idea if the funds allow and he’s happy to return to the Wales again.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by matt_george matt_george wrote:

Yeah i'd go with this, player coach role. Loves the region and is an all round good egg and could still do a decent job when called on, on the pitch.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 8:16pm

Steff I feel you’re just not yet old enough to understand that everything was better in the old daysWink
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Yeah, I really think we are stacked at back row now. Shingler, Cubby, Cassiem, Macleod, that new number 8, Thomson, Davis, Kennedy, Morgan, Phillips and Rawlins can cover there also.

Unless the season is rearranged for internationals, I think we’ll see little of Shingler, Cubby and Thomson with Wales and Scotland. That’s if Cubby and Thomson ever return from their injuries.

Kennedy, Davis and Phillips have been a long time injured and personally don’t think they’re on the same level as Barclay, even in his latter years.

Casseim and Macleod have put in a lot of minutes and will be relied on heavily again no doubt.

We signed a similar No. 8 to our new signing a few seasons ago from London Welsh, I can’t remember his name but has similar credentials, sometimes it is better to look backwards as you know what you’re getting with Barclay! Positive influence in the dressing room and on the pitch. 

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 7:26am
This season is going to come at us out of sequence, and this period of inactivity will be followed by a flurry of hastily arranged fixtures that will put a strain on our versatility and resource.

It is perfectly plausible that a squad player could be tested positive pre a Wales game and a squad quarantined, the fixture would have to go ahead with a second string squad drawn from the regions etc.

Best thing we can do is be prepared both physically and mentally for this.

Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:28am
Where are we going to be training?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Unless the season is rearranged for internationals, I think we’ll see little of Shingler, Cubby and Thomson with Wales and Scotland. That’s if Cubby and Thomson ever return from their injuries.

Kennedy, Davis and Phillips have been a long time injured and personally don’t think they’re on the same level as Barclay, even in his latter years.

Casseim and Macleod have put in a lot of minutes and will be relied on heavily again no doubt.

We signed a similar No. 8 to our new signing a few seasons ago from London Welsh, I can’t remember his name but has similar credentials, sometimes it is better to look backwards as you know what you’re getting with Barclay! Positive influence in the dressing room and on the pitch. 

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Kalamafoni and Haluafia. Look at his stats and how consistent he’s been for both Gloucester and Leicester 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic