Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro14 recommencing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 2:40pm
So do we qualify for Champions Cup?

European Qualification & 2020/21 Season

PRO14 Rugby has agreed that rankings for European qualification for the 2020/21 season will be decided on the Conference table positions from Round 13

Is what is says on the website - does that mean the spots are allocated from R13 standings or R13 until end of season? 

Sam Davies tweeting that they're playing Champions Cup next season got me confused and dragons tweeting 

In terms of Europe qualification... well... Rankings for the 2020/21 season will be decided on the Conference table positions from Round 13... We'll let you work out what that 'might' mean...

Have I missed something?

Edited by Owen111 - 18 June 2020 at 2:44pm
Sponsored Links

gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 2:43pm
Champions Cup seedings have been decided up to round 13 of the season, which means we and the Dragons are in the Champions Cup and the Blues and Ospreys are in the Challenge Cup. 
eds
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 2:45pm
Ah yes I forgot it was top 2 Welsh teams not just the highest ranked teams in the league !
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 2:48pm
We've qualified for the Champions Cup and it looks as if Dragons have too.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Ah yes I forgot it was top 2 Welsh teams not just the highest ranked teams in the league !
It isn't the top two Welsh teams, it's because it'll be the top 4 teams from each conference but Cheetahs are not eligible so Dragons have that spot despite finishing on less points that Blues in the other conference.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:15pm
Brilliant if we are in, and the Dragons too. 
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:52pm
Wales Online suggesting that the Champions Cup will be 24 teams with 8 pools of 3. If you played home and away the group stages would take 6 weeks, the same as now, so why change? Does it mean that the group stages would not be home and away and only 3 games played? The suggested revised global calender does imply less games for clubs. 
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:02pm
Wales Online saying this now:

"The Champions Cup looks certain to be expanded to 24 teams as a one-off to make things more equitable and give more teams a shot at it after a disrupted campaign."

So I guess it will be home and away games but with weeks where teams dont have a game, the pool stage games taking 6 weeks in total.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Wales Online suggesting that the Champions Cup will be 24 teams with 8 pools of 3. If you played home and away the group stages would take 6 weeks, the same as now, so why change? Does it mean that the group stages would not be home and away and only 3 games played? The suggested revised global calender does imply less games for clubs. 
To my understanding it would be teams from the same league that have the bye week ie.
Round 1: English vs P14 - French teams bye week so a week of Top14 is played
R2: French vs English - Pro14 teams bye week so Pro14 games are played

Otherwise it would be pointless changing the setup.

Edited by minded - 18 June 2020 at 4:07pm
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

good point legend. i thought the hospital was only being mothballed just in case of a 2nd wave. 
Perhaps the Selwyn Samuel Centre / Leisure Centre is being retained as a field hospital. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

good point legend. i thought the hospital was only being mothballed just in case of a 2nd wave. 
Perhaps the Selwyn Samuel Centre / Leisure Centre is being retained as a field hospital. 
I think they could probably manage a second wave from within the NHS now. Seems to me they could control the number of new cases via further lockdowns and social distancing measures rather than allowing it to spread like we did the first time around. 

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 18 June 2020 at 5:40pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:42pm
Cardiff will probably be hurting they had a good run in with fixtures against zebre and the southern kings 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Kennedy and Tex are back in Aus and Fiji I think. They'd better get back over here and start self isolation. 
They're on their way Ap
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 5:15pm
Any idea as to what the state of play is re jonnie Williams and kalamafoni ? 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Kennedy and Tex are back in Aus and Fiji I think. They'd better get back over here and start self isolation. 
They're on their way Ap

Just like the Track and Trace, this Ap does not work either! 
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 8:15pm
I think WoL were being a bit speculative based on the little that is known at the moment. 8 pools of 3 could mean that each team gets one home game and one away game i.e.
Team A v Team B
Team B v Team C
Team C v Team A
And each pool winner goes into the quarter finals

Or 6 pools of 4 and each team plays the 4 teams in their neighbouring group (2 home, 2 away). Top 8 teams go to the quarter finals. Although this could result in 4 teams progressing from one pool and none from another pool. This is just me speculating.

On the matter of the 2019/20 pro14, I've given up on the thought of a semi-final place. Leinster are going to win anyway. I'd prefer that the players are rested.

Edited by joni_bach - 18 June 2020 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic