Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon v Scarlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

My preffered back 3 would be Sanjay full back and Steph and Jonny on wings.

HP isnt as safe in defence or potent in attack as Sanjay at 15, and that opens a whole new dimension to our attack.

As a wing, HP isnt as good as our other two. But I would be happy to see HP selected at 15 to keep Sanjay fresh. So all are kept happy.
Halfpenny isn’t as safe in defence as Sanjay? Dear god, you can’t get safer. He’s a shoe in to start 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

HP isnt as safe in defence or potent in attack as Sanjay at 15, and that opens a whole new dimension to our attack.

As a wing, HP isnt as good as our other two. But I would be happy to see HP selected at 15 to keep Sanjay fresh. So all are kept happy.
Halfpenny isn’t as safe in defence as Sanjay? Dear god, you can’t get safer. He’s a shoe in to start 

Totally agree with you Steff - Halfpenny is one of the best defensive FB's in World rugby. His positioning is 2nd to none. Sanjay, wonderful attacking & brave player that he is, is prone to the missed tackle & his fuse is not the longest making him always liable to the odd penalty or three. On pre lockdown form my back 3 would be Leigh, Liam & Steff with Jonny having some work to do to get back his best. Young Conbeer will also have something to say if he continues to improve. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:28am
Halfpenny is our starting fullback 100%. Liam is as good a winger as a fullback, great under the highball and chasing kicks. Was on the wing when we won the league scored that early try off a crossfield kick, he was also on the wing when he won the champions cup with the Saracens. 
Johnny,Sanjay wingers and Halfpenny fullback.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:30am
Mix in Angus’ abilty to crossfield kick to Sanjay on the wing amd that can be a deadly combo.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:31am

you can't leave the world's best goal kicker out in a knock out game

tbh a back 3 of sanjay steff and jonny away from home is very suspect in defence

I can see jonny mac missing out
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:08am
The fact that we are having this conversation about HP or Sanjay at fullback just shows how far we have come as a team over the past few years (under this wonderful board of directors).  In the past we could have only dreamed about having such a abundance of riches to choose from.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

The fact that we are having this conversation about HP or Sanjay at fullback just shows how far we have come as a team over the past few years (under this wonderful board of directors).  In the past we could have only dreamed about having such a abundance of riches to choose from.
Spot on 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Totally agree with you Steff - Halfpenny is one of the best defensive FB's in World rugby. His positioning is 2nd to none. Sanjay, wonderful attacking & brave player that he is, is prone to the missed tackle & his fuse is not the longest making him always liable to the odd penalty or three. On pre lockdown form my back 3 would be Leigh, Liam & Steff with Jonny having some work to do to get back his best. Young Conbeer will also have something to say if he continues to improve. 
Halfpenny looked anything other than world class when we last played Toulon.Liam Williams has never played that badly.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:41am
That Toulon game was a one off Dic. Lets factor in his years of wonderful play as the final line of defence and don't lets forget his goal kicking. Liam is a wonderful player but he is prone to miss tackles particularly when in the wider channels when he seems to suffer from his positioning. I certainly am not going to question his courage and tackling ability just his positioning. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Quite right, in fact it's not just at fullback that we have this predicament but at the wings too, Halfpenny and Sanjay both have to play in the big matches if both are available for selection. So we have Halfpenny at fullback and Liam on one wing as shoe-ins, but to be honest I am struggling to choose between Steff and Johnny. I think Steff just shaves it for me, but Haflpenny, Sanjay and either one of Steff/Johnny is a great back 3 to be able to field.

As others have pointed out we must not underestimate the value of Halfpenny's superb goal kicking ability, particularly in knock-out/must-win games. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:13pm

That Toulon game was a one off Dic. Lets factor in his years of wonderful play as the final line of defence and don't lets forget his goal kicking. Liam is a wonderful player but he is prone to miss tackles particularly when in the wider channels when he seems to suffer from his positioning. I certainly am not going to question his courage and tackling ability just his positioning. 

He also played very poorly against Leinster in the European semi.His goal-kicking has been far from perfect.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

He also played very poorly against Leinster in the European semi.His goal-kicking has been far from perfect.

But far better than any other goal kicker at the region

his successful goal kicking  % rate is miles higher than any other player we have
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

his successful goal kicking  % rate is miles higher than any other player we have

Not surprising as he takes the kicks more often.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:31pm

That is true, however due to his long-range ability he also attempts kicks that many 10's wouldn't even attempt, which can also bring his % rate down.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:48pm
You're a happy old fella aren't you Dic!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:49pm

Not necessarily true...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic