Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sean Fitzpatrick joins Scarlets Board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I suggest we all take a look at this:

Cardiff wins v big 3 SH - 8 (and 1 draw) includes SA, NZ and Oz
2 Euro final wins
6 Schweppes wins

Swansea wins v big 3 SH - 5 (and 2 draws) includes SA, NZ and Oz
3 Schweppes wins

Newport wins v big 3 SH - 4 includes SA, NZ and Oz
2 Schweppes wins

Llanelli wins v big 3 SH - 4 (and 1 draw) includes NZ and Oz but no SA
13 Schweppes wins

That's not standing out from the crowd is it! It's our ridiculous number of Welsh Cup wins and for whatever reasons the 1972 game against the ABs gets touted more than any of the other international wins.

We have 5 wins v big 3 SH not 4.

You're right.
Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 7:27pm
Not forgetting three wins over the Maoris and defeating the Fijians, Tongans and samoans .
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Yes. Ospreys beat Australia too. 
They played Australia A, not Australia. They claim it was the full team despite the Aussies having ‘Australia A’ embroidered on their jerseys. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 8:32pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Wonder what the Harlequins board say about that goal? I imagine their goal is the same....

The goal may be the same my friend...but they haven't got the Scarlets history. 
Too true.

Nor have they the appeal that makes us travel three times the distance to see our home matches 👍
. And we are glad you’re in the gang EP 👍👍👍👍

Who would have our history in the NH?

Cardiff, Bath, Leicester, Northampton, Munster, Ulster, French teams?
I think Leinster are of more recent heritage.
Honestly, Bath and Tigers only. I Irish would bleat but I dont think so. Maybe Toulouse.
f Newport! 

Cardiff have in fairness , in terms of welsh clubs surely the big  four historically are Cardiff US Newport and Swansea no?

For some reason I always think of hawick and kelso as big clubs must be from rugby special back in the day :) 

Munster beat the abs in 78 and they beat the aussies in 1992, they nearly beat the ab's a few years back to 2008 was it?

Australia "A"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

They played Australia A, not Australia. They claim it was the full team despite the Aussies having ‘Australia A’ embroidered on their jerseys. 

It was the mid week game of an Australia test tour wasn't it? I don't know about the jersey thing but I can't blame them for claiming a win over the aussies anyone would do the same in all honesty

I'm sure Cardiff have the most lions of any team ever and any clubs with the likes of cliff morgan, bleddyn Williams, gareth Edward, barry john, Gerald davies etc in their history must be one of the best

It would be churlish to deny the history of these other great clubs, not saying they are any better than us and I wouldn't even say they are on a par with us (mainly due to run of cup wins ) but they all have huge history's full of great wins and great players.

The only things we have left to do is to beat the boks (unlikely to play them)
 and more importantly win the big one in Europe , that would be the icing on the cake for me.

Edited by RR1972 - 03 August 2020 at 11:38am
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 12:36pm

It was the mid week game of an Australia test tour wasn't it? I don't know about the jersey thing but I can't blame them for claiming a win over the aussies anyone would do the same in all honesty

I'm sure Cardiff have the most lions of any team ever and any clubs with the likes of cliff morgan, bleddyn Williams, gareth Edward, barry john, Gerald davies etc in their history must be one of the best

It would be churlish to deny the history of these other great clubs, not saying they are any better than us and I wouldn't even say they are on a par with us (mainly due to run of cup wins ) but they all have huge history's full of great wins and great players.

and more importantly win the big one in Europe , that would be the icing on the cake for me.

Agree about well done to the other clubs, forgot about the A team for midweek game@, they put their best out for us and that says a lot.

Then again Fitzpatrick being an ambassador for us says a damn lot too...its called respect and I will take thanks the rest of Wales.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 1:08pm

Basically, I agree with what you say - all respect to these other great clubs - but naming players is always a bit tricky.

Barry John was a Scarlet when he won his first cap (in 1966 v Australia - I was there) - so, although he won by far most of his caps as a Cardiff player, 'we' developed him. (I also saw Phil Bennett win his first cap in Paris in 1969 - a proud double!)

Gerald Davies is a Carmarthen boy, and is listed on Wikipedia as having been with Llanelli until 1965, though I don't know how many games he played - he was at Loughborough College at the time. I don't think we can claim him, but it's tempting! I'm not sure if Cardiff can claim him either, though - I'd guess most of his caps came when he was with London Welsh. (Footnote: Benny won his first cap as a late sub for TGR - and never touched the ball.)

On the other hand, we Scarlets have also benefitted from incoming players who made their early careers elsewhere - Dafydd James and Matthew Rees, for example. There's always a bit of a roundabout when it comes to players; the club records stand for themselves.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 7:51pm
Swansea RFC, Cardiff RFC & Newport RFC have all beaten the 3 Southern Hemisphere countries, while we have not beaten South Africa, the nearest was a loss of 10-9 in 1970

I have taken the record from the early 1900's before regional rugby.

All 4 teams have been the backbone of Welsh rugby since the day in Neath when the WRU started. I honestly don't see the point of saying who is the best, and who has contributed more internationals, because I feel we may well come 4th before regional, and probably 1st since regional, but we must remember for a few seasons we hardly had more than one or two in the side.

Regardless of the above I am a Scarlet and that is it.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 8:43pm
We also only lost to sa by one point in 1912.  We have beaten the Maoris on the three occasions we have played them.  Only welsh club side they’ve never beaten .
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 8:57pm
Gerald Davies played for Llanelli during holiday times, the best game I saw him play was outside half, only kicked when he had to. i didn't know who he was until after tye game finished. it was the time when we had a number of students available. D Ken Jones was always my favourite.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 11:06am
Fitzpatrick's comments apparently in the Rugby World publication. Make it happen Sean:

Quote Looking at South Africa, rather than four more of their teams joining the Pro14, maybe they should revive the Currie Cup to what it was 20 years ago. It needs to be simple and I don’t see a Pro18 working. Going up and down to South Africa is easier than going to New Zealand, but it’s still 12 hours on a plane and in terms of fans in stadiums there won’t be too many people going to South Africa and vice versa.

We’ve got some amazing products - the Lions, Wales, England, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, European rugby, Super Rugby… The key is to get windows in place, then drop in products. And it doesn’t have to be the same every year.

I support a global calendar but maybe the All Blacks should tour Europe every three to four years, not every year. I’d love to see them come in 2022 and play in Llanelli. That would be unbelievable.

What we need is for the best players to be able to play every game for their club. At the moment you have Scarlets playing in the Pro14 on a Friday night and then Wales playing in Cardiff on the Saturday. You’ve got 15 players not playing in the Pro14 and it’s devaluing the product.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:16pm
his is in the latest Rugby world Mag...

“If we don’t change, rugby won’t survive”
The World Cup-winning All Blacks hooker who has joined the Scarlets board

I HAD A look at what’s under the bonnet at Scarlets and liked what I saw: they’re ambitious, have a good board and good people. It’s a nice fit.

I’ll be getting involved in the community game as well as making the Scarlets a bigger brand. The Scarlets have done a fantastic job in West Wales and have grown the fanbase there, but we want to grow the brand globally too.

The Scarlets also have a good affiliation with New Zealand rugby and I want to help facilitate that, looking at ways for academy players and coaches to gain experience offshore.

Joe Marchant going to play for the Blues in Super Rugby is a perfect example. Unfortunately Covid limited his game time but if you talk to Joe, he sees himself as a different person in terms of his rugby knowledge and outlook on life now. Looking at younger players, instead of a gap year, why don’t they travel and play rugby in Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Invercargill…

We don’t do enough of that here - coaches don’t travel, players don’t travel. It’s the opposite in the southern hemisphere; it’s almost a rite of passage to have an OE (overseas experience). Look at the New Zealand coaches who have travelled and done so well - Steve Hansen, Graham Henry, Brad Mooar, Warren Gatland, Wayne Pivac. Mark Jones is a good example of going the other way - he took a pay cut to go to the Crusaders, Ronan O’Gara did the same. It helps them become better coaches and it’s the same with players.

Twenty-five years ago, I was at the forefront of professionalism as a player. Now I want to be at the forefront of decision-making in how we shape the game. I’ve seen first-hand how bad a lot of decision-making has been over the past 25 years, but I’m optimistic about where rugby is going. After all, we have also made plenty of great decisions.

We’ve got a real opportunity to reshape the game and we need to make changes because Covid has accelerated the problems we have in rugby. There are good people running rugby all over the world and they’ve got to come together for the betterment of the game. If we don’t change, rugby won’t survive.

We need to create a product that’s appealing to the TV audience. If you want an example of success look at Super Rugby Aotearoa in NZ - a simple competition, teams playing home and away. The TV audience was phenomenal and the games were wonderful.

Looking at South Africa, rather than four more of their teams joining the Pro14, maybe they should revive the Currie Cup to what it was 20 years ago. It needs to be simple and I don’t see a Pro18 working. Going up and down to South Africa is easier than going to New Zealand, but it’s still 12 hours on a plane and in terms of fans in stadiums there won’t be too many people going to South Africa and vice versa.

We’ve got some amazing products - the Lions, Wales, England, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, European rugby, Super Rugby… The key is to get windows in place, then drop in products. And it doesn’t have to be the same every year.

I support a global calendar but maybe the All Blacks should tour Europe every three to four years, not every year. I’d love to see them come in 2022 and play in Llanelli. That would be unbelievable.

What we need is for the best players to be able to play every game for their club. At the moment you have Scarlets playing in the Pro14 on a Friday night and then Wales playing in Cardiff on the Saturday. You’ve got 15 players not playing in the Pro14 and it’s devaluing the product.

This opportunity was forced on us by Covid and if we don’t change, we don’t have the money to make it sustainable. There are hiccups with the French clubs and the Premiership in England, but we need to get this sorted because it’s only going to make the game better. We can’t continue the way we are.

Edited by Speedy - 02 September 2020 at 12:18pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:20pm
About time. Why have we purposfully limited our outreach to potential fanbase to west wales only?

Its was never an agreement of 2003. 

The global potential of our brand is far better than most. The longer we have left it the more chance of that opportunity dwindling.

Get on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic