Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2020 at 9:14pm
V handy squad player. Very versatile and good all round skills lacks the pace / power to be a test player but would be a good addition for any welsh region. Also seemed a very good bloke and was v popular in the dressing room by all accounts
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I reckon we should be shaping Asquith into our fullback. He has a good set of hands, seems to be under utilised. He’s a better defender than the fly halves we put back there. But we also have Prydie back in training after a long lay off with injuries. As much as I like Collins, we should look within. 

Yes I feel that in Asquith there is room for him to improve given the opportunities. Skilled footballer and yes, Ton  Prydie was doing well and then got a long term injury. I’m feeling really positive about the next 6 months , Covid permitting !🤨
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 11:31am
asquith is a game breaker, has pace can beat a man and is always dangerous with ball in hand, exciting player and one I enjoy watching not sure his basic skills are at the same level of Collins though

if Collins had his pace then you would be talking about top level player

Edited by RR1972 - 03 August 2020 at 11:32am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 12:43pm
For me Asquith has been under used over the past few seasons. For me he is a dangerous player who spots gaps, has pace to use the gap and has a very good offloading game. 
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 1:18pm
I think Collins has looked decent this season. Considering the strength of NZ rugby he's doing well to hold down a Super Rugby role.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 1:33pm
Full back and wing looking very strong for Wales. Some interesting selection decisions there. 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Full back and wing looking very strong for Wales. Some interesting selection decisions there. 

FB: LH, LW, HA
Wing: GN, JA, SE, LRZ, OL, JM
Scarlets before Wales
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

I think Collins has looked decent this season. Considering the strength of NZ rugby he's doing well to hold down a Super Rugby role.

He was injuried and started to play from the 3th day of the season..as fluback he was the best of Highlanders...
He can be a great project player like Parkes, but now I think he lost his occasion to represent wales and play with us. In this moment we are covered really well in sport fb wing and honestly I prefer some youngstres have their occasion to show the talent
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 7:51am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Now I don't see the above being a strong selection. Leigh & Liam are both high quality FB's but Leigh is over 30. My question is where is the young guy who would be next inline. Amos I am afraid is far too error prone. As for wings from that list only Josh Adams would make the England squad for instance. LRZ totally untried, Lane not a wing, Jonny & Steff both have their defensive deficiencies and Jonny again is the wrong side of 30. As for North I continue to wait for him to influence a game which his physical attributes suggest he should. 

From that list I only see Liam & Adams making the Lions tour.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Now I don't see the above being a strong selection. Leigh & Liam are both high quality FB's but Leigh is over 30. My question is where is the young guy who would be next inline. Amos I am afraid is far too error prone. As for wings from that list only Josh Adams would make the England squad for instance. LRZ totally untried, Lane not a wing, Jonny & Steff both have their defensive deficiencies and Jonny again is the wrong side of 30. As for North I continue to wait for him to influence a game which his physical attributes suggest he should. 

Aren’t all players untried until you play them? He’s got quality players ahead of him. His time will come. If players weren’t picked due to injury history there’d be a small squad. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:39am

Aren’t all players untried until you play them? He’s got quality players ahead of him. His time will come. If players weren’t picked due to injury history there’d be a small squad. 

SA I am trying to put it in some form of perspective. Strength in depth is what we have in the back row not back 3 in my opinion. For sure LRZ has bags of potential & I was one of his biggest supporters but he remains a total unknown quantity at International level is all I am saying. There are no young full backs really making waves & for now the Welsh back 3 if all fit is down to 4 guys, the rest are nowhere. 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 10:55am
Collins was a tidy squad player, probably played his best against Ulster away if I remember correctly, scoring a couple of tries in a great win out there. Despite now playing Super Rugby, he wouldn't make our first 15 or possibly test window team which says a lot about the squad strength we have since developed. 
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 11:27am
I agree collins would be more of a squad player but is the kind of signing we should be looking at while not great at any one thing he was very well rounded and had good basic skills id be happy signing him 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 11:45am

SA I am trying to put it in some form of perspective. Strength in depth is what we have in the back row not back 3 in my opinion. For sure LRZ has bags of potential & I was one of his biggest supporters but he remains a total unknown quantity at International level is all I am saying. There are no young full backs really making waves & for now the Welsh back 3 if all fit is down to 4 guys, the rest are nowhere. 

Fair comment. I can see Leigh retiring after next season. Yes, back row is ridiculously competitive. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic